Windows 10: SSD Trim Question

Discus and support SSD Trim Question in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi There Wondering if SSD Trim does it autoly with Windows Maintenance task? or if I should run that manually weekly, I set in the SSD dashboard,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by AMDMan2016, Mar 6, 2017.

1. SSD Trim Question

Hi There

Wondering if SSD Trim does it autoly with Windows Maintenance task? or if I should run that manually weekly, I set in the SSD dashboard, Enable Trim, Weekly for the schedule, but not sure if it ran, states under it last run none. Very very new to SSD drives, first one I ever had in a system. In addition If Avast updates again at end of March, and hopefully goes well, but if not, is it bad having to remove it with removal tool, and reinstall cleanly that have to do sometimes to fix issues program may have.

:)

AMDMan2016, Mar 6, 2017
  2. DaveM121 Win User

Trim enable on new dell laptop with windows 10

Hi jmann, yes TRIM should always be enabled on an SSD for it to function efficiently

By default Windows will will manage TRIM on your SSD without any user input

To check that TRIM is enabled:

Open a Command Prompt Window and run this command:

fsutil behavior query DisableDeleteNotify

If that command returns 0, trim is already enabled on your SSD

If 0 is not returned, run this command to enable TRIM:

fsutil behavior set DisableDeleteNotify 0

DaveM121, Mar 6, 2017
  3. JRJSmith Win User
    Windows 10 Reset and "Fully Clean The Drive" on SSD

@Ratandeep

Many thanks for your link. However, it appears that I have not been clear. I understand how TRIM works with SSDs.

What I was looking for was an answer to both the questions from the OP but, especially the second. For clarity, I shall reiterate (directly from the OP's post:

1) What exactly does fully clean the drive do? Does it overwrite the WHOLE drive or just delete user files and overwrite the free space? Because if it were to overwrite the whole drive how could it reinstall windows because there
    would be no remaining data on the drive.

2) How does fully clean the drive work on SSD's? A single overwrite on a SSD would not be sufficient to sanitise the drive unless a TRIM command was also issued. Would fully clean the drive issue a TRIM command?

Personally, I would want to run TRIM rather than overwrite a WHOLE SSD but that's just me.

What I REALLY want to know is How does fully clean the drive work on SSDs and would it issue the TRIM command?

Regards

Joe.

JRJSmith, Mar 6, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

SSD Trim Question

Click on the start icon, type Optimize, click on the app at the top of the list, "Defragment and Optimize Drives". That will tell you when Windows last ran trim on the SSD. Don't worry about the recovery partition that never gets optimized, it never needs to be optimized (Windows will always erroneously report that it does).

Optimize and Defrag Drives in Windows 10

NavyLCDR, Mar 6, 2017
  5. Oh ok, yeah I didn't click the Optimize button in there, says needs it, but I didn't click it. Guess it does sometime, I do let PC idle when I watch hour long tv shows, so thinking that should be enough for auto maintenance to take care of anything needed done

AMDMan2016, Mar 6, 2017
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    It takes about 15 seconds to run trim on an SSD.

NavyLCDR, Mar 6, 2017
  7. Oh ok, not a big deal then

Reason wondered was having performance issues in one of the games, Firestorm (3rd party) secondlife viewer, cases of extreme lag at times, might be more internet related, do have a Puma 6 Chipset Gateway that supposedly has lag spikes at times, But thinking drives fine, it's just net related really I think

AMDMan2016, Mar 6, 2017
  8. CountMike New Member

SSD Trim Question

I don't think that trim or lack thereof is causing those problems.

CountMike, Mar 6, 2017
  9. Yeah probably Internet Related, Possibly Related to Avast even, not really sure at the moment what the exact cause is

AMDMan2016, Mar 6, 2017
  10. CountMike New Member
    You can suspend Avast during gaming and check internet ping too.

CountMike, Mar 6, 2017
  11. Yeah Ping to the one sim in the game statistics showed 1439ms, after relog went down to 33ms, Did have Avast Silent mode activated, proper exclusions for the game added to Avast (got that from Secondlife/FIrestorm support, been running Avast since 2006, so used to the program for the most part, time or time issues, but usually can solve those hopefully

AMDMan2016, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

SSD Trim Question

1. SSD Trim Question - Similar Threads - SSD Trim Question

2. SSD No trim Supported

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SSD No trim Supported: In above Image SSD drive Shows Trim Not supported. but my SSD drive supports Trim.can i perceive that My ssd Drive is not trimmed by Operating system or Storage controller....
  3. SSD No trim Supported

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    SSD No trim Supported: In above Image SSD drive Shows Trim Not supported. but my SSD drive supports Trim.can i perceive that My ssd Drive is not trimmed by Operating system or Storage controller....
  4. ssd trim problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    ssd trim problem: Hello I have 2 ssd drives micron and lexar and after windows 10 1709 version to latest version of windows 10 and windows 11 I'm having trim not enabled issue, hdd sentinel software says that trim is supported but disabled and I have tried many ways and software's but I just...
  5. ssd trim problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    ssd trim problem: Hello I have 2 ssd drives micron and lexar and after windows 10 1709 version to latest version of windows 10 and windows 11 I'm having trim not enabled issue, hdd sentinel software says that trim is supported but disabled and I have tried many ways and software's but I just...
  6. ssd trim problem

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. New SSD User Trim question

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    New SSD User Trim question: Hi, So finally I made an upgrade to an SSD for use in my boot drive. a 240GB one specifically. I made a fresh install of Windows 10 last week ago in this SSD, went to confirm if TRIM is enabled then confirmed it is on. Now, I went to disk defrag and saw this: Do I click...
  8. SSD trim after 2004 Update question

SSD trim after 2004 Update question: I read that the bug had been sorted out where Windows 10 automatically trims SSD's on version 2004 and doesnt remember it was done so informs you that it needs to be done again. I checked in event Viewer and can see that on October 1st my SSD was successfully trimmed but it...
  9. how often should my ssd be optimized with trim questions on trim

how often should my ssd be optimized with trim questions on trim: how often should my ssd be optimized with trim I have a ssd and a 2nd standard 7200 rpm hd. Now I defrag the hhd but and optimize the ssd. will this optimization with trim hurt the ssd How different is optimization with trim on ssd vs defrag the 7200 hd 142372
  10. ssd trim

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    ssd trim: NTFS DisableDeleteNotify = 0 (Disabled) I have read articles and none show this so does this mean my trim is enabled or disabled? I think the 0 means it is enabled but it says disabled at the end. 134705