Windows 10: ssd upgrade clone from multiboot system

Discus and support ssd upgrade clone from multiboot system in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Help anyone? I have a win7 / win10 dual boot system, win 7 on a hdd, win 10 is on ssd, bootmgr is on win 7 drive, now I want to clone win 10 to a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Paulw4, Nov 17, 2017.

1. Paulw4 Win User

ssd upgrade clone from multiboot system

Help anyone? I have a win7 / win10 dual boot system, win 7 on a hdd, win 10 is on ssd, bootmgr is on win 7 drive, now I want to clone win 10 to a bigger ssd but tools I have tried failed with message 'boot volume and system need to be on same drive' how can I get win 10 to boot and remove win 7 from my system?

:)

Paulw4, Nov 17, 2017

2. Windows 10 Free upgrade - will it wreck an existing multiboot setup?

Currently multiboot Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows XP all from the same PC. Anyone know whether upgrading say Windows 8 to Windows 10 using the free option will wreck the multiboot setup or not i.e. make other bootable partitions no longer available?

Currently run 2 bootable partitions from one SSD (Win 7 & 8) and the third bootable partition from a second SSD - so can physically disconnect one SSD but would Win 7 install still be at risk when upgrading Win 8?

NormanUppard, Nov 17, 2017
  3. When upgrading from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10, update fails and I get 80070002-20009 error

Perhaps the Windows 10 upgrade package sees the OS on cloned drives as unauthorized duplications? How many in this thread are booting from cloned drives (including me)?

Ive cloned my HDD to my SSD as well, I think you may be on to something.

Durinsky54, Nov 17, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

NavyLCDR, Nov 17, 2017
  5. Paulw4 Win User
    ssd upgrade clone from multiboot system [​IMG]

Disk 1 E: & F: are the new ssd ready for clone of os
    anything after disk 5 are external or DVD drives

Paulw4, Nov 17, 2017
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    The easiest solution is probably going to be to install EasyBCD:
    EasyBCD - NeoSmart Technologies

Scroll down the webpage and you will see the option to "register" for the free, non-commercial use download. You don't really have to register. Click the register button, then on the next screen just click the download button.

Change your boot partition to C: drive, which my understanding in your screenshot above is Windows 10?
    Changing the Boot Partition

Then you might have to change your boot order in BIOS to boot from Disk 2 instead of Disk 0. That will make your Windows 10 completely self-contained and whatever you were using to try to clone it should now work.

NavyLCDR, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. ssd upgrade clone from multiboot system - Similar Threads - ssd upgrade clone

2. Windows 10 won't boot after cloning HDD to SSD - multiboot system, other systems boot fine

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 won't boot after cloning HDD to SSD - multiboot system, other systems boot fine: I have 4 hard drives in my system. Windows 10 is installed on the last drive. When I try to boot into Windows 10, it state it can't find windows\system\winloader.exe.I tried recovery disk and it states it can't repair.I booted into Windows 7 which is on a different hard...
  3. Windows 10 won't boot after cloning HDD to SSD - multiboot system, other systems boot fine

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 won't boot after cloning HDD to SSD - multiboot system, other systems boot fine: I have 4 hard drives in my system. Windows 10 is installed on the last drive. When I try to boot into Windows 10, it state it can't find windows\system\winloader.exe.I tried recovery disk and it states it can't repair.I booted into Windows 7 which is on a different hard...
  4. Windows 10 won't boot after cloning HDD to SSD - multiboot system, other systems boot fine

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Multiboot system audio problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Multiboot system audio problem: Hello everyone,I have used multiboot - Dual boot from Win 7 to 11 for at least 15 years with no issues I Separated work related system and Apps from Games.For Audio I Use an older External Audio Card, M-Audio Firewire 410 Which works great for all my Recording needs Midi,...
  6. Multiboot system audio problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Multiboot system audio problem: Hello everyone,I have used multiboot - Dual boot from Win 7 to 11 for at least 15 years with no issues I Separated work related system and Apps from Games.For Audio I Use an older External Audio Card, M-Audio Firewire 410 Which works great for all my Recording needs Midi,...
  7. Cloning an SSD from an HDD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cloning an SSD from an HDD: Im planning on swapping out my laptops HDD with an SSD, and I was wondering if the OS clones to the new drive? Also I have a few programs that have licenses using ilok so would those carry over too or would i have to authenticate my software again? Thanks in advance!...
  8. Windows 10 multiboot system

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 multiboot system: We are in May 2020, Windows 10 is the most used OS in the world, and we still don't have a multiboot system Well, I have been working for a long time with linux servers and development on linux, recently we entered into an extension project for Visual Studio, I had to...
  9. SSD Clone to SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    SSD Clone to SSD: Hey, I am cloning several computers for work with the exact same hardware. I have a working computer with a SSD and HDD. When I clone the SSD and start up the same computer with the SSD switched windows will not load and it gives me the standard missing required files to...
  10. Upgrading a Cloned Windows 8.1 SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrading a Cloned Windows 8.1 SSD: I cloned my original HDD to SSD and saved the original for a backup. To keep it relatively up to date I re-installed it and installed the windows 10 upgrade from the "Get Windows 10" taskbar icon. I've reverted back to my SSD with Windows 8.1 in hopes of upgrading it as well...