Windows 10: SSD upgrade tweaks to exising W10 installation (not fresh install)

Discus and support SSD upgrade tweaks to exising W10 installation (not fresh install) in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi all, I am about to venture into installing my newly purchased SSD for my desktop PC. I have a 360Gb Sata2 hard drive at the moment and did some... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by smipx, Nov 17, 2015.

1. smipx Win User

SSD upgrade tweaks to exising W10 installation (not fresh install)

Hi all,

I am about to venture into installing my newly purchased SSD for my desktop PC. I have a 360Gb Sata2 hard drive at the moment and did some tests with a "spare" SSD I got my hands on. The performance improvements were nothing short of spectacular (even without any tweaks or anyting) so I immediately went ahead and purchased a 250Gb Samsung Evo 850. I know I only have a crappy SATA2 mobo before anyone says SSD upgrade tweaks to exising W10 installation (not fresh install) :) but the difference in perfomrance was seen with my own eyes. I am as tight as a ducks rear end (and that's watertight) and not easy to impress so for me to go out and spend £60 on a new drive when the old one was functioning normally - it must have impressed me SSD upgrade tweaks to exising W10 installation (not fresh install) :)

What I want to do is be sure that Windows 10 makes all the necessary changes to optimise W10 for things like Superfetch, defrag settings, other things. Am I right in saying that the only ting I need to do (apart from making sure the drive is set to ACHI mode) is to run an elevated CMD and run "winsat formal". This should then reassess the performance and also change the identified drive type to SSD so it doesn't defrag but uses TRIM and possibly some other magic under the hood.

Is there anyting else I need to do (accepting that I have already decided on the bits below - unless someone can give me a damn good reason to reconsider)?

- I know I can move my "data" off to a second drive - I don't want to - happy to lose a few years of life of the SSD. The SSD will be replaced long bofore that point is reached and I like the fact that it is all in one place for DR purposes and online backup purposes. I am also lazy and don't want to change my bakcup plans or online storage scripts or create junction points etc. Life's too short and all that SSD upgrade tweaks to exising W10 installation (not fresh install) :)
    - I know I can minimise/disable paging - my received wisdom on this is that it is not necessary anymore with modern SSD's and Microsoft actaully advise you to keep the paging and keep it on the SSD
    - I know I can disable Search and Windows Restore - again, I am chosing not to as I use search a lot and like the idea of system restore should I ever need it.
    - I have already installed Samsung Magician in preparation and will reserve 10% of the capacity of the SSD for levelling.
    - I'm not planning on disabling Fast Start

Any tips and tricks most appreciated.

Cheers
    Paul

:)

smipx, Nov 17, 2015
  2. Kenan79 Win User

Clean install of Windows 10 using licensed Windows 7 key?

Hello gents,

Is it possible to do a clean (first time) install of Windows 10 (formatting the drive etc) using my Windows 7 license key?

I'm currently on Windows 7 and I burned W10 installation DVD. I don't plan on upgrading to W10 rather making it a fresh start.

I also plan on getting a SSD disk (to be used for the fresh W10 install), would this be, hardware/license-wise problem?

Thank you.

Kenan

Kenan79, Nov 17, 2015
  3. Windows 10 Memory Management bsod- source of problem

Hi,

just finished W10 clean install and have same problem. Noticed your running a Samsung. As am I. Are you using magician? I installed it and used it to tweak the ssd.

SirIanPhillips, Nov 17, 2015
  4. T0mmy1977 Win User

I had to disable Fast Start in order to get Wake on LAN to work. I didn't notice any degradation in start up time though.

T0mmy1977, Nov 18, 2015
  5. Word Man Win User
    1) Check, assuming your system is capable of it, that the BIOS recognizes the SSD and that it is set to run in AHCI mode. (don't panic if not, there are plenty of threads here that deal with that.) My wife's laptop is also SATA2 and I upgraded to 850 EVO - AHCI was already enabled and I had no problems on that front.

2) Once you have the SSD operational in Windows, open an elevated (admin) command promt and run "winsat formal", just to make sure Windows has reassessed the OS disk and its type - some assurance that Windows treats it the way an SSD should be treated (versus an HDD).

Word Man, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. SSD upgrade tweaks to exising W10 installation (not fresh install) - Similar Threads - SSD upgrade tweaks

2. load ssd driver on a fresh install

in Windows 10 Gaming
    load ssd driver on a fresh install: I have a MSI creator laptop M16 A12UD, I would like to fresh install Windows 11 from a USB pen. During the installation process, I need to load the driver for the ssd, and I cannot find any compatible driver.-MSI incredibly does not publish storage drivers on their website...
  3. load ssd driver on a fresh install

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    load ssd driver on a fresh install: I have a MSI creator laptop M16 A12UD, I would like to fresh install Windows 11 from a USB pen. During the installation process, I need to load the driver for the ssd, and I cannot find any compatible driver.-MSI incredibly does not publish storage drivers on their website...
  4. Tweaks for a Clean Install?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Tweaks for a Clean Install?: Just got some new hardware and will do a fresh install of Win10. I usually disable every tracking and Cortana. Is there anything else I should do? Any helpful apps/scripts or guides for new installs? submitted by /u/HeyLittleMonkey [link] [comments]...
  5. Fresh Windows Installation in SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Fresh Windows Installation in SSD: Hey, i want to install fresh windows on my SSD..but will it wipe my D driveOther drive than OS drive if i install windows on SSD? I can't backup my data..what will you recommend ? My PC has 1 TB hard disk and I added a new SSD of 256GB . I want to install windows in SSD ..so...
  6. Fresh W10 Install on D: Drive?

Fresh W10 Install on D: Drive?: so i have windows 10 installed on my c: drive but it has become unstable, even a reset and countless other "tricks" didn't fix the issues, so i've decided to just go ahead and do a clean install... as mentioned, it's installed on my c: drive but this time around i would like...
  7. Fresh W10 Install on D: Drive?

in Windows 10 Support
    Fresh W10 Install on D: Drive?: so i have windows 10 installed on my c: drive but it has become unstable, even a reset and countless other "tricks" didn't fix the issues, so i've decided to just go ahead and do a clean install... as mentioned, it's installed on my c: drive but this time around i would like...
  8. Fresh install of Windows 10 to SSD

Fresh install of Windows 10 to SSD: I upgraded to Windows 10 couple years ago when MS offered to Windows 7 owner a free upgrade. Now I'm planning to install a SSD to my computer and have the OS boot from it. How do i do a fresh install to my SSD without the disc? Is there somewhere I can download Windows 10...
  9. Fresh install, upgraded license

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Fresh install, upgraded license: Hello, I am current running on Windows 10 Pro, upgraded from Windows 7 Pro Retail. I am going to make a fresh install Win 10, but with which Product Key will I need to use to active (Windows 7)? Or do I have to install Windows 7 first (and upgrade to Windows 10 again)?...
  10. Will it be upgrade first then Fresh Install

Will it be upgrade first then Fresh Install: hi if i missed the article on upgrading please forgive, when win 10 is finally available, i want to do a fresh install, so does that mean when it comes out i have to update first to get my license then start all over again to install a fresh copy? i always imaged my previous...