Windows 10: SSD/USB3.0 Speed Drop

Discus and support SSD/USB3.0 Speed Drop in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; When transferring files from my external SSD/USB3.0 to my PC, the speed drops from around 300MB/s to 105MB/s. It stays at 300MB/s almost 60% of the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Adalwar, Oct 22, 2016.

1. Adalwar Win User

SSD/USB3.0 Speed Drop

When transferring files from my external SSD/USB3.0 to my PC, the speed drops from around 300MB/s to 105MB/s.
    It stays at 300MB/s almost 60% of the transfer, then it Drops.

What to do so that there is no Drop?

EDIT: Disabling the "Write Cache" for HDD in PC, the speed drops to around 45MB/s, instead of 105MB/s.

SSD/USB3.0 Speed Drop [​IMG]

:)

Adalwar, Oct 22, 2016

2. Even though I plug in my USB3.0 mobile drive to USB3.0 on my laptop, the settings still show that "the drive can work faster when connected to USB3.0 port"

My mobile drive is a WD (western digital) 500g "My Passport" with USB3.0. My laptop is a Lenovo Yoga 2 13 with Core i5.

I have already sent the laptop for hardware check which shows my USB3.0 port works normally.

But when I plug in my mobile drive, the transfer speed stands still at about 40mb/s (which is the maximum speed for USB2.0) and the settings show that "this drive can work faster when connected to USB3.0"

How could I fix this?

AlcatrazHe, Oct 22, 2016
  3. Windows 10 and Intel USB 3.0 device drivers

Hi Chris, I haven't yet upgraded my Win8.1 PC to Win10, so I don't know if I'm going to have the same problem with Intel USB3.0 ports as when I upgraded from Win7. The problem you describe (USB2.0 speeds) is exactly the same. For the record, some hardware
    just doesn't work at USB3.0 speeds, when plugged into certain USB3.0 ports. In the article below, it comments that they no longer advise the procedure for Win8.1, however it fixed the issue for me. Give it a try on Win10 and let us know how you go. I bet
    plenty of others are having the same issue -maybe some don't even realise it!

Hope this does the trick!

Windows 8 and Intel USB 3.0 Host Controllers - Plugable

Cheers

KaptainKayos, Oct 22, 2016
  4. EdTittel Win User

SSD/USB3.0 Speed Drop

ISO files are an archive format that results from making a sector-by-sector copy of every "dirty" (written-to) sector in a storage collection. Originally developed for optical media, ISOs are used for creating containers for all kinds of information including Windows images and install environments. Typically, throughput drops during copying as the size of the individual elements drops and the number goes up. I've seen the kind of graph you show in your screencap for many ISO transfers. I can't find a definitive source to confirm this, but my best speculation is that the drop-off occurs when the contents of the ISO switches from large binary files like .wim or .esd to the thousands of small individual files you will see in a mounted Windows ISO, especially in the /sources directory and its subsidiary directories.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Oct 23, 2016
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    @EdTittel,

It seems like the OP is just copying the single ISO file itself and not extracting the contents of the file. That would be no different than copying a 2 or 3 GB WMV or AVI media file, for example. Personally, the file transfer shown in the OP looks perfectly normal to me - at least that is the way all my large file copies look like across my computers.

At the beginning you are seeing the various cache memories involved filling up, at the end you are seeing the actual writing to the final storage location occurring.

NavyLCDR, Oct 23, 2016
  6. EdTittel Win User
    Yes, another good explanation, and probably more valid than mine. Thanks!
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

SSD/USB3.0 Speed Drop

1. SSD/USB3.0 Speed Drop - Similar Threads - SSD USB3 Speed

2. download speed suddenly drops to 0

in Windows 10 Gaming
    download speed suddenly drops to 0: my download speed while downloading a file,games fro any services,etc my network speed drops to 0 kb/s and the wifi needs to be disconnected and connected again to continue and the same thing repeats under a minute or 2 please help me out and be faster with solutions....
  3. download speed suddenly drops to 0

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    download speed suddenly drops to 0: my download speed while downloading a file,games fro any services,etc my network speed drops to 0 kb/s and the wifi needs to be disconnected and connected again to continue and the same thing repeats under a minute or 2 please help me out and be faster with solutions....
  4. download speed suddenly drops to 0

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Speed drop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Speed drop: I need help in a very strange situation. I subscribe to Turbobit and Nitroflare. I also use Free Download Manager. When I start a download via Turbobit, after about 5 minutes the download drops too much, less than 1% of my connection. My download rate is 100 Mbits / s (12...
  6. Can't download games. Download speed drops to 0 B/s

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't download games. Download speed drops to 0 B/s: I've been having this problem for about 3 weeks. It happens on Steam, Origin, Riot Games Launcher, and the Epic Games Launcher. So basically anytime I'm downloading games. I will get about 1 - 2 GB into the download and then my download speed goes to 0 B/s and never goes up....
  7. Flash drives File transfer speed drops to 0 regularly

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Flash drives File transfer speed drops to 0 regularly: Hi everyone, I have recently realized my laptop MSI P65 8RF is having a weird behaviour when transfering files or deleting files to/from my flash drives (Kingston Datatraveler Ultimate 3.0 G3 128 GB and Kingston Datatraveler Rubber 3.0 32 gb) it happens that it reaches top...
  8. Flash drives File transfer speed drops to 0 regularly

in Windows 10 Support
    Flash drives File transfer speed drops to 0 regularly: Hi everyone, I have recently realized my laptop MSI P65 8RF is having a weird behaviour when transfering files or deleting files to/from my flash drives (Kingston Datatraveler Ultimate 3.0 G3 128 GB and Kingston Datatraveler Rubber 3.0 32 gb) it happens that it reaches top...
  9. Speed up USB3 File Transfer

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Speed up USB3 File Transfer: I was copying some large Hyper-V vhds to an external ssd from an internal ssd via usb3, and I was getting a sedate 130 MBS even through the ssds can handle close to 500 MB/S and USB3 can handle up to 480 MB/s. Of course, we all know that in the real world, you are lucky if...
  10. Samsung SSD On Sata to USB3 Adapter Cable Shows As SCSI Not USB3

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Samsung SSD On Sata to USB3 Adapter Cable Shows As SCSI Not USB3: My external Sata Samsung SSD (on a Sata to USB3 adapter cable plugged into a USB3 motherboard external port) shows as a SCSI drive and not as a USB3 drive in Device Manager on my computer. It should show as a USB3 device As a result, the transfer speeds which should operate...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. KB4497398 give me a SSD error