Windows 10: SSD worth it?

Discus and support SSD worth it? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I've had most types of hardware over the years but never had an SSD. Considering changing over now but unsure if worth the cost. Would be going with a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by wreckwriter, Jan 22, 2016.

1. SSD worth it?

I've had most types of hardware over the years but never had an SSD. Considering changing over now but unsure if worth the cost. Would be going with a 1 TB drive, either Samsung, Mushkin, or SanDisk. I have various software that should be able to do the move already so that part shouldn't be an issue.

What are the ups and downs? Is it worth $300?

:)

wreckwriter, Jan 22, 2016

2. Windows 10 file history: Setting an hourly backup option, will it slow down the computer?

*Original Title: Windows 10 file history

I've just installed windows 10 into my new PC. I have two SSDs in it, one for files and one for booting windows. I've decided to enable the windows 10 file history feature to backup 200GB worth of files from my boot SSD into to my 2nd SSD. My question is,
    if I set it to the hourly backup option, will it slow down the computer whilst I'm using it? I'm usually on my PC 12 hours a day.

I've also read that the storage sectors on an SSD have a limited number of writes therefore its advised to
    minimize writing to the drive as much as possible. If I enable the hourly file history backup option, can it damage my SSDs since theoretically they would be backing up 200GB worth of file history 12 times in a day?

Cowletable, Jan 22, 2016
  3. neilpzz Win User
    "memory_management" crashes, Volume Bitmap is incorrect on chkdsk, no errors found on chkdsk/ scan

Is it worth checking the SSD manufacturers website for any testing tools. Just to rule out (or find out) what the volume bitmap error might be.

neilpzz, Jan 22, 2016
  4. Dude Win User

SSD worth it?

In my opinion yes, a SSD is a major improvement. Apps and such are faster loading. I know no downs for having a SSD.

5. jds63 Win User
    jds63, Jan 22, 2016
  6. LMiller7 Win User
    Does your computer have the possibility of installing 2 hard drives?
    If so, a good compromise is to install the OS and applications to a smaller SSD and use a larger conventional drive for your data. This provides most of the advantages of an SSD at a lower cost.

LMiller7, Jan 22, 2016
  7. Yea, currently have 5 (but 2 are external). What size drive would I need for just the OS?

8. WHS
    whs Win User

SSD worth it?

The 1TB Mushkin is $250. I have several Mushkins. They are greart SSDs. I have also other makes (Intel, OCZ, Sandisk) but the Mushkins are the fastest. I will never buy a spinning disk again. SSDs is the way to go.

9. davidhk Win User
    Yea, there is one.
    I'm scared "bleep" installing one.
    I read and googled, still scared of doing it.

davidhk, Jan 22, 2016
  10. Used Mushkin RAM for years, always been happy with it.

11. Lulz, I can install pretty much anything. This is the first PC I've had in 20 years or so that I didn't build from scratch.

12. WHS
    whs Win User
    David, what is the part that scares you. Maybe we can help.

13. davidhk Win User

SSD worth it?

Open my laptop, undo the hhd, install the ssd............... everthing that goes with the process.

davidhk, Jan 22, 2016
  14. Laptops are trickier, too many plastic parts for my taste. However, most manufacturers offer a service manual that will pretty much walk you through every step of common tasks. These are generally free and downloadable.

Be sure you have a good set of very small screwdrivers before you start. Also, lay everything out on a sheet or piece of cardboard; the screws are easy to lose. Keep track of which holes require longer, or shorter, screws.

Take pictures as you go so you won't forget how it came apart.

15. WHS
    whs Win User
    That is a no brainer - especially if you have a seperate opening for the disk bay. Then just unscrew the 2 or 4 screws, lift the cover and push the HDD backwards. Installing the SSD is the process in reverse. Before you do that, you must have imaged the OS to an external disk. That image you can now place back on the SSD. I recommend NOT to use cloning.

Thema:

SSD worth it?

1. SSD worth it? - Similar Threads - SSD worth

2. Is partitioning a SSD of 237gb size worth it? Is there any real benefit to partition a SSD...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is partitioning a SSD of 237gb size worth it? Is there any real benefit to partition a SSD...: Is manually partitioning a SSD of 237gb size worth it? Is there any real benefit to manually partition a SSD at all? Or should I just let windows automatically partition only the ones that are needed?...
  3. Is partitioning a SSD of 237gb size worth it? Is there any real benefit to partition a SSD...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is partitioning a SSD of 237gb size worth it? Is there any real benefit to partition a SSD...: Is manually partitioning a SSD of 237gb size worth it? Is there any real benefit to manually partition a SSD at all? Or should I just let windows automatically partition only the ones that are needed?...
  4. Is partitioning a SSD of 237gb size worth it? Is there any real benefit to partition a SSD...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Is partitioning a SSD of 237gb size worth it? Is there any real benefit to partition a SSD...: Is partitioning a SSD of 237gb size worth it? Is there any real benefit to partition a SSD at all? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-partitioning-a-ssd-of-237gb-size-worth-it-is/fd6ca1da-6946-4235-b233-1e34fe20ba0d
  5. My SSD goes to 100% after downloading 90GB worth of files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My SSD goes to 100% after downloading 90GB worth of files: Hello, this has been bugging me for 9 months now and i cant find a fix for it, everytime i download around 90 GB of files Well, i think thats the amount where my disk usage starts to go Haywire my disk usages skyrockets to 100% and after some time has passed my laptop goes...
  6. My SSD goes to 100% after downloading 90GB worth of files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My SSD goes to 100% after downloading 90GB worth of files: Hello, this has been bugging me for 9 months now and i cant find a fix for it, everytime i download around 90 GB of files Well, i think thats the amount where my disk usage starts to go Haywire my disk usages skyrockets to 100% and after some time has passed my laptop goes...
  7. My SSD goes to 100% after downloading 90GB worth of files

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. HDD on ssd worth it?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    HDD on ssd worth it?: Is it worth it from my HDD with these specs [ATTACH] On an SSD with these specs [ATTACH] To upgrade? Would you even notice a difference? Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 (250GB, SATA-300) Specs & Prices SANDISK Plus Solid State Drive, 120 GB, SSD, 2,5...
  9. is a i7-6500U based laptop worth the cost to upgrade to A 1TB SSD

is a i7-6500U based laptop worth the cost to upgrade to A 1TB SSD: Good Day All the question is: is a i7-6500U based laptop worth the cost to upgrade to A 1TB SSD and 16GB memory i'm hoping to get this done for under 400-450 some time in Dec in Singapore all info greatly appreciated DME 117992
  10. Dell latitude e6410 is a ssd worth it

Dell latitude e6410 is a ssd worth it: I am wondering if it would be worth replacing the 7200 250gb hd in my dell latitude e6410 laptop with a ssd drive. micro center in Chicago has some ssd drives on sale for nice prices now and wondering if it will make a difference in performance seeing as this laptop has the...