Windows 10: SSDs detected as CF?

Discus and support SSDs detected as CF? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have 5 drives installed on my PC (1 HDD and 4 SSDs, the rest are just partitions). I am just wondering what does CF means on 2 of the SSDs. Does it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by badrobot, Oct 12, 2014.

1. badrobot Win User

SSDs detected as CF?

I have 5 drives installed on my PC (1 HDD and 4 SSDs, the rest are just partitions). I am just wondering what does CF means on 2 of the SSDs. Does it stand for "compact flash"? How to fix this? Or should I just leave it alone?

SSDs detected as CF? [​IMG]

:)

badrobot, Oct 12, 2014

2. MISSING OPERATING SYSTEM (Upgrade from Win 8.1 Pro to Win 10 ...... using SSD as Primary Drive (existing 8.1 Pro Win installed)

Hello Ron,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I understand the inconvenience caused to you, we will help you with this issue.

I suggest you to connect the SSD using extendable USB cable and connect to a Windows 10 installed computer and check if it detects the SSD.

Also, Windows 7 device cannot detect the SSD because the files wouldn't be supported.

If the SSD is being detected, I suggest you to back-up the data and format the SSD.

If SSD is not being detected I suggest you to clean install Windows 8.1 as you will be loosing all the data on the drive.

Hope it helps. Feel free to contact us for further assistance on Windows Operating System, we will be happy to help you.

Deepika Gowda, Oct 12, 2014
  3. JonGrimes Win User
    External SATA3 SSD to USB (512GB Crucial MX100 SSD) showing up as a Hard drive in Windows 10 Defragment and optimize drives?

It must be an issue with Windows 10 Control Panels' Defragment and Optimize drives inability to detect any SSD

placed into any external SATA 3 to USB 3.0 Storage device. For now, Windows 10 detection of an SSD seems limited

to internal SSDs' only.

I'm not concerned with lack of trim support since SSD trim is limited to Operating System drives

only & I use this external USB SSD for backups & additional storage. Don't worry about Windows 10 defragmenting & ruining your external USB SSD though because despite it being incorrectly detected as an HDD

the defragment drive feature doesn't seem to work on SSDs' that are designed to use their own internal garbage collection anyhow.

I've tried System Restore several times to correct this issue to no avail. The external USB SSD works and runs perfectly

despite Windows 10 detecting it as an HDD so I'm no longer concerned about this issue. Good luck!

JonGrimes, Oct 12, 2014
  4. Wynona Win User

SSDs detected as CF?

Hi Robot!

I just installed a 240 GB SSD today and have installed Windows 10 on it.

I looked at the Disk Manager and found nothing out of the ordinary . . . well, maybe I did . . . I don't see anything telling me I have an SSD drive!

Edit:

I think I'm still using the old BIOS, rather than UEFI.

Wynona, Oct 12, 2014
  5. Saltgrass Win User
    All I can think of is to ask where they are connected on your system, and then you might check the Policies tab on their properties in Device Manager and compare them to the others.

They are all formatted in NTFS??

Saltgrass, Oct 12, 2014
  6. badrobot Win User
    Hi. It's not on Disk Management. It's just from File Explorer view.

badrobot, Oct 12, 2014
  7. badrobot Win User
    All 4 SSDs are formatted as NTFS and all are working fine when individually selected to boot up the OS installed on it. There's no performance issue. It's just bothering to see how the 2 SSDs appear on file explorer while the other 2 looks fine. Not sure if this is a bug that should get reported.

badrobot, Oct 12, 2014
  8. SSDs detected as CF?

Those 2 drives connected to a SATA RAID controller? They may not be in a RAID array but that controller may have a different chipset/driver or something? Some motherboards have dedicated RAID SATA ports versus all the ports supporting RAID. The easy way to tell is if those ports on the motherboard are a different color from the others.

alphanumeric, Oct 16, 2014
  9. CountMike New Member
    Are those 2 volumes dynamic by any chance ?

CountMike, Oct 18, 2014
  10. badrobot Win User
    Hi Guys, Sorry for late reply on this. I think @alphanumeric nailed it. Those 2 drives are attached on SATA RAID controller card that I installed on PCIe slot. I think I have nothing to worry about it but I also think that MS should look into this matter. If a drive is connected via SATA interface, it should never be detected as a compact flash or SD card. One time some of my hard drives were also detected as memory stick and MMC. This never happened on Windows 7 which also runs on the same machine.

Thanks for the input!

Cheers!

badrobot, Oct 19, 2014
  11. I think that has to do with the drivers in use. I've seen people asking why their hard drives show up as hot swappable (eSATA) when they were connected internally to SATA ports on the motherboard. Updating the drivers would often fix it. Disclaimer, if everything is working OK, you may just want to leave it alone. it all depends on how much the CF bothers you. *Wink

alphanumeric, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

SSDs detected as CF?

1. SSDs detected as CF? - Similar Threads - SSDs detected

2. Q: If my Samsung SSDs are working correctly with MS drivers, do I need to install Samsung...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Q: If my Samsung SSDs are working correctly with MS drivers, do I need to install Samsung...: I see that Samsung has drivers for my 4 Samsung SSDs but I have not installed them because I see the MS has installed it's own drivers. And my system works fine, I can't report slow speeds but maybe my transfer rates would be faster with Samsung drivers? Is there something to...
  3. Q: If my Samsung SSDs are working correctly with MS drivers, do I need to install Samsung...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Q: If my Samsung SSDs are working correctly with MS drivers, do I need to install Samsung...: I see that Samsung has drivers for my 4 Samsung SSDs but I have not installed them because I see the MS has installed it's own drivers. And my system works fine, I can't report slow speeds but maybe my transfer rates would be faster with Samsung drivers? Is there something to...
  4. SSDs Disappeared from Boot Options

SSDs Disappeared from Boot Options: Hi there,My PC has windows installed on a NVMe SSD drive, and was booting from there just fine.I have another NVMe drive I am using just for storage, and I Also have another SSD storage drive , but it's SATA.I had a WD 1T HDD here from an older PC and I Decided to add to my...
  5. SSDs Disappeared from Boot Options

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SSDs Disappeared from Boot Options: Hi there,My PC has windows installed on a NVMe SSD drive, and was booting from there just fine.I have another NVMe drive I am using just for storage, and I Also have another SSD storage drive , but it's SATA.I had a WD 1T HDD here from an older PC and I Decided to add to my...
  6. SSDs Disappeared from Boot Options

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. PC kills two unrelated SSDs one after the other, how?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    PC kills two unrelated SSDs one after the other, how?: In windows 10 I got a bsod and grub on an m.2 nvme. That ssd no longer shows up in bios. I then booted on a second ssd with win 10, this one a sata3, rebooted for drivers because it only had windows from my old computer. After an hour I rebooted normally from the sata3 ssd...
  8. installing windows 11 using usb boot drive but none of my ssds are being detected

in Windows 10 Gaming
    installing windows 11 using usb boot drive but none of my ssds are being detected: hello im tyring to install windows 11 using a usb boot drive that i installed from the microsoft webste but im having an issue when i go to look for drivers neither of my ssds are being detected. ive tried using the command prompts to activate my ssds but still windows is not...
  9. installing windows 11 using usb boot drive but none of my ssds are being detected

installing windows 11 using usb boot drive but none of my ssds are being detected: hello im tyring to install windows 11 using a usb boot drive that i installed from the microsoft webste but im having an issue when i go to look for drivers neither of my ssds are being detected. ive tried using the command prompts to activate my ssds but still windows is not...
  10. Hey peeps, I’m having issues with windows not detecting my SSDs. They both appear in the...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Hey peeps, I’m having issues with windows not detecting my SSDs. They both appear in the...: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Obiturbi [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/h04thi/hey_peeps_im_having_issues_with_windows_not/