Windows 10: Start button and task bar can not left click to open items

Discus and support Start button and task bar can not left click to open items in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi Have a weird issue I have experienced in the past. First this was all working fine earlier no issues then all of a sudden I tried to open my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Dave1776, Nov 13, 2017.

1. Dave1776 Win User

Start button and task bar can not left click to open items

Hi

Have a weird issue I have experienced in the past.

First this was all working fine earlier no issues then all of a sudden I tried to open my weather channel app which I had been pulling up fine all day just stopped where it would open and then close immediately. I thought it was app specific but then tried to open my calculator alittle later to do something and it also closed immediately so I thought OK let me restart my system maybe it's just a glitch.

When I got back up again now I notice my start menu will not open. I can right click it and get the right click menu fine but if I left click on it I get no start menu at all.

I also noticed same with my time/calendar on the right side can right click it fine but not left click same with the alerts panel right click fine but left click nothing.

I seem to be able to rick click on programs in my task bar and these open fine but same issue with the store if I click on the store it opens and closes immediately just like was happening to the other apps before restarting.

I have tried going into powershell and SFC /SCANNOW and that went through and said there is no issues but still nothing is working.

Ideas?

Thanks!

:)

Dave1776, Nov 13, 2017

2. My ICONS have disappeared

This is your start menu, the button on bottom left of task bar, click it once to open, click it again to close or esc key to close.

seahawks65, Nov 13, 2017
  3. Build 10240 | Control panel not working

Hello,

Left click on start/Control Panel/= Inactive Control Panel in task bar

Left clicking on in active control panel icon within task bar still does not activate various control panel items.

Right clicking on start menu has the same results that lead to inactive task bar icons.

Please provide a fix asap!

Thanks

MsPositive, Nov 13, 2017
  4. zbook New Member

Open administrative command prompt and type or copy and paste:
    net user test /add
    shutdown /r
    When the computer reboots sign on with the new user named test.
    Report into the thread whether the new user has a working start menu and task bar.

In addition to the above step another troubleshooting step is to re-register the start menu.

Open administrative powershell and copy and paste this command:

Get-appxpackage -all *shellexperience* -packagetype bundle |% {add-appxpackage -register -disabledevelopmentmode ($_.installlocation + “\appxmetadata\appxbundlemanifest.xml”)}

Then reboot

zbook, Nov 13, 2017
  5. Dave1776 Win User
    OK I know Windows is doing an update so will finish that first just on the off chance it helps and if not will try the above.

Dave1776, Nov 13, 2017
  6. Dave1776 Win User
    OK Issue resolved didn't have to use the above when the updates finished and seems it was a big one as I had to let it finish while sleeping and when I booted up this morning this were working again.

Started a new thread for the two new issues consider this one resolved!

Dave1776, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Start button and task bar can not left click to open items - Similar Threads - Start button task

2. Task Bar & Start Button

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Task Bar & Start Button: After installing firmware updates and others for Windows 11, everything at the bottom of the page including the task bar, start buttons, clock, wifi, speaker volume, all disappeared....
  3. Task Bar & Start Button

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Task Bar & Start Button: After installing firmware updates and others for Windows 11, everything at the bottom of the page including the task bar, start buttons, clock, wifi, speaker volume, all disappeared....
  4. Unable to click windows button or left click anything on task bar or windows menu?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Unable to click windows button or left click anything on task bar or windows menu?: Brand new PC running windows 10. This problem only happens sometimes and not all the time, however whatever it is prevents me from clicking the windows button bottom left, I have to press the windows key on keyboard, then I can't actually click anything on the menu to open...
  5. Task Bar & Start Button Probs

in Windows 10 Customization
    Task Bar & Start Button Probs: I can no longer see my log in page and am having a black screen to log in. When my screen desktop comes up, the search bar doesn't work and neither does the start button. I am using surface pro & windows 10 but I cannot find any windows files. Can anyone help in plain...
  6. Items on desktop will not open on left click

Items on desktop will not open on left click: Items on desktop will not open on left click, must right click and select OPEN. Same probl;em on multiple PCs, began all at once on all PCs. Same problems on Windows Live Mail --- clicking on an email will not open it. Also on other apps, for example, trying to open a file...
  7. Title bar items reversed - buttons on the left side

Title bar items reversed - buttons on the left side: Hi, the title bar in one of my Windows 10 apps (namely Twitter) is apparently reversed - the buttons are on the left and the app menu button is on the right. What can I do? Picture uploaded.[ATTACH]...
  8. windows start button no left click

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windows start button no left click: Hello I have just upgraded from seven to ten. At first things were ok but I no longer have anything on the windows icon with left click. Also the new browser will not start and internet explorer browser icon went away. Can I do another free upgrade by using system restore?...
  9. Start button + task bar not working

in Windows 10 Support
    Start button + task bar not working: Hi, Got my Win 10 at the lauch day and have been enjoying it until I decided to do some clean up. I ran Ccleaner and Puran utilities reg cleaning tools. After that the start button and task bar became unresponsive. I tried to google the issue and found out a sort of a...
  10. Start button and other icons in task bar will not open

in Windows 10 Support
    Start button and other icons in task bar will not open: I downloaded Windows 10 several hours ago. Nothing in the lower task bar will open. When I left click on the start button, nothing happen. When I right click, I get a menu but nothing will open. When I click in the "Search" area, no cursor appears. I don't know how to get to...