Windows 10: Start Button and taskbar not working

Discus and support Start Button and taskbar not working in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Please help. Windows 10 has worked pretty well since installing it a couple of months ago but last week suddenly the taskbar is empty and start button... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by gammalin, Jan 21, 2016.

1. gammalin Win User

Start Button and taskbar not working

Please help. Windows 10 has worked pretty well since installing it a couple of months ago but last week suddenly the taskbar is empty and start button not working. I tried the powershell idea but as nothing shows up in the taskbar I can't run as administrator. I'm 62 years old and thought I was slightly tech savvy but this as me beat.

:)

gammalin, Jan 21, 2016

2. windows 10 - start button and taskbar not working

Hi All,

Having a similar issue to many here. Today, I turn on my computer and notice:

1. screen resolution seems to have increased i.e. icons are now half the size the were yesterday

2. start button does not work with either left or right click.

3. taskbar does not show icons of open apps, but does allow right click e.g. to open task manager

4. time has disappeared from taskbar

5. windows key does not open start menu and does not work for the following shortcuts that i have tried:

W + D, W + A, W + S, W + C.

6. Windows key does work for W + R, W + L.

7. cortana does not work

Have searched the forums and have tried the following, without complete success:

in cmd as admin, run sfc/scannow = no issues

set firewall to on.

open powershell as admin and run Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

received many errors and the same issues as above continue.

tried creating a new account:

• Press [Ctrl]+[Shift]+[Escape] to start Task Manager.
    • Click File -> Run new task.
    • Type "cmd" into the Run dialog, tick Create this task with administrative privileges and click [OK].
    • A command prompt window should open.
    • Type/copy the following text and press [Enter]: net user Admin123 MyPassword /add
    • Type/copy the following text and press [Enter]: net localgroup Administrators Admin123 /add
    • Log off and login to the new Admin123 account. If it works correctly, you can migrate your data to the new user account. You are welcome to replace "Admin123" with your username of choice (just enclose it in quotes if it has a space, and be sure to use
      the same name in both commands). The login password will be "MyPassword". You can easily change it later.
    • Log off
    • Log on on new account
    • done *

result was that taskbar worked in the new account, but the start button still did not.

my laptop came with 8.1 and i upgraded to 10.

need a solution from MS.

thanks,

J.

UPDATE - SOLUTION FOR MY ISSUE:

just tried a restart in safemode. to do this, i pressed windows key + L (if you windows key does not work, you can do ctrl + alt + delete to navigate to the switch user page). once in safe mode, everything worked. I then restarted as normal and everything
    worked.

groovycat78, Jan 21, 2016
  3. windows 10 - start button and taskbar not working

Try installing any pending updates. This happened to me ages ago and an update fixed it.

btw im not microsoft

Question asker not Question solver, Jan 21, 2016
  4. davidhk Win User

Does right click at Start button still work ?

davidhk, Jan 21, 2016
  5. davidhk Win User
    Questions :

1. Do you have the habit of creating restore point manually ?
    2. Do you create system image backup regularly ?
    3. You said "taskbar is empty". Does that mean all the icons at the extreme right ( the system tray ) also gone , or they are still there ?
    I mean these ...............................

Start Button and taskbar not working [​IMG]

davidhk, Jan 21, 2016
  6. gammalin Win User
    No to questions 1 and 2 but obviously something I need to find out about. Question 3 - I have the notification icon (the one that looks like a page with a tick at the bottom and with the up arrow (hidden icons) the only thing showing is skype online.

gammalin, Jan 21, 2016
  7. davidhk Win User
    OK. We'll fix the current problem first. Keep in mind about system restore and system image backup. They are very very important. They are the first line of attack when you encounter computer problems.

Back to the issue on hand.
    2 suggestions :
    1. Run the Reset option. This will bring your Win 10 back to the 1st day it was installed.
    This method only allows you to keep you personal files. All 3rd party programs have to be re-installed.

2. Download the current Windows 10 ISO file > use it to do a Repair install.
    This method do allow you to keep you files, settings and apps.

Think about it and tell me which one you will choose.

davidhk, Jan 21, 2016
  8. gammalin Win User

I'm concerned about what I might lose. If I try 2 will I still lose everything?

gammalin, Jan 21, 2016
  9. davidhk Win User
    I believe I have explained quite clearly in my last reply.
    Please read it again.

davidhk, Jan 21, 2016
  10. gammalin Win User
    My apologies. 2 it is then please.

gammalin, Jan 21, 2016
  11. davidhk Win User
    OK. Use the link of Media Creation Tool (MCT) below.........

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/windows10

Download the Tool and run it.
    Then select Create installation media for another PC
    That will begin downloading the ISO file to your computer.
    When download is completed, RIGHT click at the ISO > click Mount > click Setup.exe.
    That will begin installing Windows 10.
    You have the choice of keeping settings, files and apps, or keeping nothing.
    No product key is required.
    Activation will be automatic.

davidhk, Jan 21, 2016
  12. davidhk Win User
    It is essentially reinstalling Windows 10. So, it will take some time.

Good luck.

davidhk, Jan 21, 2016
  13. gammalin Win User

I downloaded it, clicked finish at the end then a message popped up saying trying to delete files and now nothing at all. Was not able to do the right click etc. What do I do now?

gammalin, Jan 21, 2016
  14. davidhk Win User
    What is the exact message.
    Was it saying you did not have enough disk space ?

davidhk, Jan 21, 2016
  15. gammalin Win User
    I had a blue box, which indicated progress of the tool download. I assume it had completed because a box popped up within the screen to click finish, which I did. The box disappeared, a small narrow window showed bottom left of screen above the non-working taskbar which had numbers etc, then a message popped up in the screen to say tryng to delete some files. Message disappeared and nothing left.

gammalin, Jan 21, 2016
Thema:

1. Start Button and taskbar not working - Similar Threads - Start Button taskbar

2. Start button and search button of the taskbar not working

in Cortana
    Start button and search button of the taskbar not working: Hi everyone I have just recently started to experience this issue from reading other posted it would appear to be a fairly common occurrence " Start button and search button of the taskbar not working "As suggested on the post below I have followed each instruction but I...
  3. Start button and search button of the taskbar not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start button and search button of the taskbar not working: Hi everyone I have just recently started to experience this issue from reading other posted it would appear to be a fairly common occurrence " Start button and search button of the taskbar not working "As suggested on the post below I have followed each instruction but I...
  4. Start button and search button of the taskbar not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Start button and search button of the taskbar not working.

in Cortana
    Start button and search button of the taskbar not working.: My PC start and search button of the taskbar is not functioning. Whenever I clicked on start and search button, nothing happens, there is no start menu and no search dialogue box on clicking those buttons. However, when I hover on the start and search buttons, they display...
  6. Start button and taskbar not working

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start button and taskbar not working: Hi. Windows 10 Home , 64 bit now showing "critical error, your start menu isn't working. We'll try to fix it the next time you sign in". I've triedeverything from running powershell in task manager, try to reinstall windows apps, trying to reset the pc, running windows...
  7. Start button and Taskbar

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start button and Taskbar: I have a Windows 10 laptop, start button & task bar does not work. Only the desktop icons are clickable. Not even clicking the clock in the lower right corner pops up the time & calendar....
  8. Windows start button, and taskbar not working

in Cortana
    Windows start button, and taskbar not working: I have a surface pro 5 running Windows 10, I was unable to logon due to a Group Policy service not starting. I ran a number of suggested fixes without success. I have now reinstalled Windows 10 (keeping my files option). I can now log in, but the start button does not work,...
  9. Taskbar/Start button not working!

in Windows 10 Support
    Taskbar/Start button not working!: I have Window 10, just upgraded it was working great I turned my computer off and went to bed last night. Today I turn it on and now when I click the start button or windows key. The mouse just looks like it is loading, the taskbar flashes, and nothing comes up. I'm not able...
  10. Taskbar/Start Button NOT WORKING

in Windows 10 Support
    Taskbar/Start Button NOT WORKING: Hello, I have a Surface Pro 3, updated for Windows 10. I have been switching in and out of tablet mode, and I find myself at a point where now my task bar are not working. For example, when I click on the "Action Center" nothing pops up, or when I click on the WiFi...