Windows 10: start button behavior win7 vs. win10

Discus and support start button behavior win7 vs. win10 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; in win7, pushing the start button and typing would bring up (immediately) a list of hits among the installed programs. in win10, doing the above... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by aag, Aug 11, 2015.

1. AAG
    aag Win User

start button behavior win7 vs. win10

• in win7, pushing the start button and typing would bring up (immediately) a list of hits among the installed programs.
    • in win10, doing the above retrieves search results from the internet (with some latency), and only then brings up any installed programs (with even more latency).

Is there a way to make Win10 revert to Win7 behavior in this respect?

:)

2. VS 6

VS 6 was win7 installation in
    the win10 don't compile

StanislavSrnka, Aug 11, 2015
  3. How to Prevent IE from Automatically Logging In to Office 365

Thx. Tried this. No difference. This behavior only on IE11, not on other browsers. Only in Win10, not on Win7. Started recently, but nothing changed on my end.

PeterH_077, Aug 11, 2015
  4. Steve78 Win User

Click on the Search Box, then settings cog, then disable "Search online and include web results".

Steve78, Aug 11, 2015
  5. AAG
    aag Win User
    Thank you. I may look very stupid now (and most likely that's the reality) - but I cannot find any such settings in my rig...

6. smalltalk Win User
    Same here, I don't see that option either...

smalltalk, Aug 12, 2015
  7. start button behavior win7 vs. win10 [​IMG]

One of the first things I do after installing Windows 10 is
    to mark off these two annoying features!

teachermark, Aug 12, 2015
  8. KScorp Win User

Note that you have to click the search bar, not the start button, in order to bring up the window you have screenshotted. Alternatively, start typing after clicking the start button, and then click the settings cog.

KScorp, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. start button behavior win7 vs. win10 - Similar Threads - start button behavior

2. Irritating UAC Behavior in Win11 vs. Win10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Irritating UAC Behavior in Win11 vs. Win10: In Windows 10, when requesting to run an application as an elevated administrator, we have our GPO set to "Prompt for credentials on the secure desktop". The result is we're immediately shown a prompt asking for a username and a password.In Windows 11, when doing the same as...
  3. Irritating UAC Behavior in Win11 vs. Win10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Irritating UAC Behavior in Win11 vs. Win10: In Windows 10, when requesting to run an application as an elevated administrator, we have our GPO set to "Prompt for credentials on the secure desktop". The result is we're immediately shown a prompt asking for a username and a password.In Windows 11, when doing the same as...
  4. Win7 on Win10?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Win7 on Win10?: Hey, When i boot up my windows 10 machine i get a classic windows 7 start up menu i believe it is when i made a win7 bootable but now i have this permanently. i went so far as to reset my pc nothing works. Please help! Link to video of what happens:...
  5. Win10 vs Win7 performance ?!?!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Win10 vs Win7 performance ?!?!: so today I run a benchmark and here are the results . Windows 7 home premium 64 bit [ATTACH] Windows 10 professional 64 bit [ATTACH] there is anyone who lost overall performance with windows 10?...
  6. win10 Minimize and Maximize buttons changed to win7 style.

in Windows 10 Support
    win10 Minimize and Maximize buttons changed to win7 style.: I find the Minimize and Maximize buttons strange... 147260
  7. Suspicious behaviour regarding vmware workstation on win10 vs win7

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Suspicious behaviour regarding vmware workstation on win10 vs win7: ** I am asking this question everywhere and couldn't get an answer till now :/ .. hope any expert could help me*\* We are in process of migrating from win7 to win10.. our day-to-day work, involving using VMWare Workstation with a security product (DLP) to protect data from...
  8. Suspicious behaviour regarding vmware workstation on win10 vs win7

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Suspicious behaviour regarding vmware workstation on win10 vs win7: We are in process of migrating from win7 to win10.. our day-to-day work, involving using VMWare Workstation with a security product (DLP) to protect data from leaking through VMWare Workstation. The way the DLP works -in this context- is to prevent the sensitive data from...
  9. Taskbar button behavior

in Windows 10 Support
    Taskbar button behavior: build 14393.231 On my desktop task bar I have pinned shortcuts to Word, excel and Firefox. When I click on the Firefox shortcut, a separate Firefox window button appears. When I select the Word shortcut, it becomes to a Word document button. I know Im bringing up...
  10. Replicate Win7 behavior for Recent Documents?

in Windows 10 Support
    Replicate Win7 behavior for Recent Documents?: I'm trying to figure out if there's any way to get back to the Window 7/WinXP behavior of Recent Documents on the Start menu. I liked being able to click the Start button, then just choose from a list of the most recent files from a jump list. I work with a number of...