Windows 10: Start Button & Edge Not Working

Discus and support Start Button & Edge Not Working in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I upgraded to Windows 10 in early August and all has been well until this week when I find that when I left click on the start button nothing happens... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by NeilFranklin, Sep 14, 2015.

1. Start Button & Edge Not Working

I upgraded to Windows 10 in early August and all has been well until this week when I find that when I left click on the start button nothing happens (right click is fine), and Microsoft Edge seems to have disappeared from my PC (although the icon remains on the Quick Start Bar (but does nothing). This means that I cannot access my list of programs and apps etc.

This all seems to have happened after the last Windows Update. I have tried a system restore from some of the previous restore points, but to no avail.

I have a laptop as well and Windows 10 is running fine on that.

Any suggestions?

Neil

:)

NeilFranklin, Sep 14, 2015

2. start button not working, apps, edge are not working

Hi Kiran,

Thanks for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

This issue will be better suited on Microsoft Technet forum. So, I suggest you to post your query on Microsoft Technet forum.

Refer to the below link:

Technet forums

For any query related to Windows Operating System, feel free to post on Microsoft Community.

Santosh_Rai, Sep 14, 2015
  3. start button not working, apps, edge are not working

I am using 10 enterprize edition

running under proxy

start button, apps, edge are not working

tried sfc/scanow

dism

nothing is working

OP - start button not working

KIRAN KUMARGALI, Sep 14, 2015
  4. MilkmanG Win User

Start Button & Edge Not Working

The Refresh function has solved this problem dozens of times at work, aswell as reverting back to windows 10 and then running upgrade again.

First try:
    CTRL + ALT + DEL
    open task manager
    go to "file" , "run new task" (check the admin box)
    type "cmd" and run "sfc /scannow"

after that finishes if no luck use task manager and "run new task" again type "control.exe" will give you control panel and under system and security you can access the refresh computer and revert to previous O/S options.

MilkmanG, Sep 14, 2015
  5. Thanks,
    I have already tried the scannow option - no luck.

I tried your suggestion 2 - but did not see the exact wording that you provided but did again get to system restore (where I have been before) but could not find a date prior to the issue occurring. Perhaps I got some steps wrong?

I thought of the idea of re-installing windows 10 (as per earlier forum post) and set up the Administrator account but cannot get the password or no password login to work.

I resolved the admin password issue but a re-install would mean losing some other software that I cannot re-install.

When I log in as Administrator the start button works fine (both left and right clicks), but still issues accessing Edge. I wonder if this is related to permissions, although everything work well for a few weeks. I have even tried uninstalling the last couple of Windows updates - all to no avail.

The sfc \scannow option says errors found but cannot be fixed.

Neil

NeilFranklin, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Start Button & Edge Not Working

1. Start Button & Edge Not Working - Similar Threads - Start Button Edge

2. Start Button Not Working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start Button Not Working: For the past week or so, the start menu button has not been working. After searching online, I've tried basically everything I can think of besides resetting Windows. I've tried:- Rebooting - Adding EnableXamlStartMenu to the registry - Reinstalling all windows packages...
  3. Start Button Not Working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start Button Not Working: For the past week or so, the start menu button has not been working. After searching online, I've tried basically everything I can think of besides resetting Windows. I've tried:- Rebooting - Adding EnableXamlStartMenu to the registry - Reinstalling all windows packages...
  4. Start button not working

in Windows 10 Support
    Start button not working: I have an Hp laptop running version 20H (OS build 19042.928) and the start button is not working. This happened after I got remote support for a program that was returning some errors. The people who gave me support for said program have spend an entire week trying to fix...
  5. Start button is not working

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start button is not working: My laptop start button is not working correctly when IClick on it nothing happens, the windows key on the keyboard is not working aswell. If I move the pointer to the bottom left of the windowsbutton and click it opens up as if I have left clicked. I have tried restarting...
  6. Start Button not working

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Start Button not working: Start Button not working after Windows 10 2004 update https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/start-button-not-working/3cfa7f07-9f20-4939-9365-2b4612d61a8a
  7. start button not working

start button not working: start button stopped working. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/start-button-not-working/8227ba9a-2479-489f-b5bb-9d7c5237bb7a
  8. START BUTTON CORTANA MICROSOFT EDGE NOT WORKING

START BUTTON CORTANA MICROSOFT EDGE NOT WORKING: START BUTTON CORTANA MICROSOFT EDGE NOT WORKING https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/start-button-cortana-microsoft-edge-not-working/b7ecc347-dbbf-4f92-ab36-97c3d0ac79f5
  9. Windows Start Button Issues And Missing Edge Button

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows Start Button Issues And Missing Edge Button: All of a sudden the Windows Start Button turns brown (not blue) and when I left click on it something is said about having to sign out and a critical error. Clicking that button, which you have to do to get rid of the dialogue box, restarts the OS and it happens again if you...
  10. Start Button Not Working?

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Button Not Working?: What steps should be taken to diagnose a Windows 10 start button not working? 48746

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows button and edge not responding