Windows 10: Start Button is DEAD and nothing seems to help. Out of ideas...

Discus and support Start Button is DEAD and nothing seems to help. Out of ideas... in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Just upgraded and I am affected by the problem with the Start button and Find Icon completely ignoring any clicks on it. I've googled for solutions and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Hannele2, Jul 9, 2016.

1. Hannele2 Win User

Start Button is DEAD and nothing seems to help. Out of ideas...

Just upgraded and I am affected by the problem with the Start button and Find Icon completely ignoring any clicks on it. I've googled for solutions and tried the following:

• Uninstalled Stardock Start8 which I had been using in Windows 8.1 (didn't need to google to figure that out...). To be on the safe side, I used Revo unininstaller to get everything out.
    • Ran Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth and also with a local source since the first attempt had problems.
    • Completed SFC /scannow. Some repairs were made and it went fine.
    • Ran this in Powershell and it completed fine: Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}
    • Created a new account and logged on to that.

Beginning to despair now, since nothing helps. Have I missed something? Is there anything else I can do?

:)

Hannele2, Jul 9, 2016
  2. n95fan2 Win User

N95 NOW DEAD SINCE UPGRADE

I did an upgrade to ver 20 fromm 12 then did s restore I made this was ok near enough then I went into inbox then the phone crashed and seems to be dead, though the key lighs are on, any ideas anyone how to reset etc ? Holding down the top 'off' button
    does nothing

n95fan2, Jul 9, 2016
  3. Another W10 update, another fiasco; no start button, Cortana search box disabled

After SIX hours of downloading, rebooting, 'getting you PC ready", "Won't be long now" the desktop finally reloaded.

Now the start button does nothing and the Cortana search box is dead.

ANy ideas how I can get this crock of a thing going again?

FredericoZenozzograte, Jul 9, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

NavyLCDR, Jul 9, 2016
  5. Hannele2 Win User
    Thank you for the tip! I'll try that.

Edit - no actually - I will not try that, since I'm not prepared to lose my installed applications and other customisations. This is just re-install essentially. I don't keep my data on the C drive anyway, so if I wanted to re-install I would already have done that. I am aware that pretty much all issues can be solved with a re-install.

I also ran the Windows Start Menu trouble shooting tool which I just discovered.
    It finds one issue -

Code: Required applications are not installed correctly. Not fixed "Microsoft.Windows.ShellExperienceHost" and "Microsoft.Windows.Cortana" applications need to be installed correctly. [/quote] I'm going to look into that as well. It's surprising to see this result, since this is a fresh upgrade AND I have just ran DISM and SFC scannow. So one check says everything is fine and the other, above, says there's a problem

Code: C:\WINDOWS\system32>Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:wim:N:\sources\install.wim:1 /limitaccess Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool Version: 10.0.10586.0 Image Version: 10.0.10586.0 [==========================100.0%==========================] The restore operation completed successfully. The operation completed successfully. C:\WINDOWS\system32>sfc /scannow Beginning system scan. This process will take some time. Beginning verification phase of system scan. Verification 100% complete. Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations. C:\WINDOWS\system32>[/quote]

Hannele2, Jul 9, 2016
  6. Hannele2 Win User
    I was never able to solve this and was forced to do a clean reinstall.
    Because of 1 button not working!
    I think it's absolute rubbish that Microsoft a build where the most crucial functionality is broken for a large proportion of users. The internet is absolutely packed with people having this problem. Many of the fixes required involves steps that shouldn't be needed from a regular user. I didn't mind trying it myself but I'm a techie. It's unthinkable that my average computer user relatives or friends would have managed any of those fixes.

Unimpressed M$

Hannele2, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Start Button is DEAD and nothing seems to help. Out of ideas... - Similar Threads - Start Button DEAD

2. Account is Locked Out and Nothing Seems to be Working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Account is Locked Out and Nothing Seems to be Working: I am setting up a new PC and am having the following issue: When I start the computer, despite having logged into my Microsoft account last night, I'm shown the Desktop account with a normal sign in button. Upon pressing "Sign In" I am given the message "The referenced...
  3. Account is Locked Out and Nothing Seems to be Working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Account is Locked Out and Nothing Seems to be Working: I am setting up a new PC and am having the following issue: When I start the computer, despite having logged into my Microsoft account last night, I'm shown the Desktop account with a normal sign in button. Upon pressing "Sign In" I am given the message "The referenced...
  4. Windows Start button does nothing

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows Start button does nothing: When I click on the Windows start button bottom left or if I press the windows start button key on the keyboard nothing happens https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-start-button-does-nothing/26c1fa96-e807-44cb-88ae-57f60984669c
  5. Fresh start button greyed out

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Fresh start button greyed out: I've been having a lot of issues with my surface pro 6 since the beginning. The latest issue right now is the FRESH START button being greyed out. There's no button underneath it that says fresh start now. The only thing I can see underneath is the "additional info" in blue...
  6. Ideas button grayed out

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Ideas button grayed out: hi< i have downloaded the free trial for office 365, that will then get purchased after the months period. i intially did not find the ideas button, so i got it from the options and added it. i then tried applying it it just doesn;t work and is grayed out. also the...
  7. Mouse seemed to go dead

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Mouse seemed to go dead: Windows 10 Home I got on my computer this morning and my mouse wouldn't do a thing. I use one of those small, wireless Logitech mice. I change battery, wiped it off with alcohol and changed battery again. I forced a shutdown, unplugged my computer and then hit the start...
  8. Start button left click nothing happens

in Windows 10 Support
    Start button left click nothing happens: Have a Dell XPS 11. Clicking left on start button should open Cortana and Start Options. Nothing happens. There's a hamburger on the top left which will bring up the start menu, Most Used, Recently Added and File Explorer, Settings, etc. At the bottom, Power Symbol and a...
  9. Something seems wrong with my start button

in Windows 10 Support
    Something seems wrong with my start button: Its been getting like this and doesn't always work correctly when I click it Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet Anyone know what causes this? 87487
  10. Clicking Start Button does nothing

in Windows 10 Support
    Clicking Start Button does nothing: My Win10 Home 64 bit computer was working correctly yesterday. Today there was one notification which just showed 'windows.immersivecontrolpanel-cw5n1h2xyewy! microsoft.windows.it', although I am not sure if the last part was something like 'immersive' as the last character...