Windows 10: Start button not working after update applied this morning

Discus and support Start button not working after update applied this morning in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Windows done an update this morning and now the start button doesn't work. Seems to be a common issue with a whole range of fixes out there and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by vexorg, Mar 9, 2016.

1. vexorg Win User

Start button not working after update applied this morning

Windows done an update this morning and now the start button doesn't work.

Seems to be a common issue with a whole range of fixes out there and stuff that doesn't work, and stuff that makes it worse.

Currently I'm trying to remove the updates to see if that fixes it. Any known issue on the recent widows update fixes?

:)

vexorg, Mar 9, 2016
  2. GStumpp Win User

I received an update this morning. after the update I am not able to access my desktop. i did a restore but it had no effect.

Original Title - Desktop

I received an update this morning. after the update I am not able to access my desktop. i did a restore but it had no effect.

GStumpp, Mar 9, 2016
  3. GStumpp Win User

Turns out I was way off track. The problem was that the start button live tiles were the only thing that would appear on the desk top. When I went to desk top no icons would appear and if i clicked anywhere the live tiles would reappear.

After restoring, twice, I was looking at the settings and noticed that my laptop was set to tablet mode. So one click quick fix. (I do feel a bit foolish.)

GStumpp, Mar 9, 2016
  4. vexorg Win User

The tab is also missing in properties for the task bar.

SFC found nothing, some old driver conflicts, not unexpected as it's for an win7 upgrade.

Uninstalling the last few updates done nothing.

A few reboots have had no effect either.

Right clicking the task bar icon does nothing either.

Never had such nonsense in 20 years of using windows start menu

vexorg, Mar 9, 2016
  5. vexorg Win User
    Must just be me then, norton says it's clean. SFC ran three times and still no luck. DISM next, or wait for the next microsft update.....

vexorg, Mar 9, 2016
  6. vexorg Win User
    SFC and DISM found nothing wrong. System restore done back to before yesterday's updates and start menu works again. Must be a duff update.

Strange I'm the only one affected, and no one has any idea why.....

vexorg, Mar 9, 2016
  7. It is not just you. The update did the same to me, not only that, it corrupted my profile and I had to do an upgrade reinstall of Windows 10. Worst update I have seen from all windows versions I've used, so far.

Supertaquito, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Start button not working after update applied this morning - Similar Threads - Start button working

2. After window update KB5031354 the Start button not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    After window update KB5031354 the Start button not working: Certainly! Here's a template for a complaint about the Start button not working after the Windows update KB5031354:Subject: Start Button Not Working After Windows Update KB5031354Dear Microsoft Support Team,I hope this message finds you well. I am writing to bring to your...
  3. After window update KB5031354 the Start button not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    After window update KB5031354 the Start button not working: Certainly! Here's a template for a complaint about the Start button not working after the Windows update KB5031354:Subject: Start Button Not Working After Windows Update KB5031354Dear Microsoft Support Team,I hope this message finds you well. I am writing to bring to your...
  4. after last update nothing works start button or others

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    after last update nothing works start button or others: after last update nothing workscant get into start or app optionsany one how to fix this https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/after-last-update-nothing-works-start-button-or/6b7cfa4d-283b-4142-943d-28b4c75f4446
  5. Start button not working after W10 update

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start button not working after W10 update: The latest W10 update disabled the Start button, search box and power button in Ctrl, Alt, Delete screen. I had to uninstall the update to get the functions back. Every time there is an update I get some sort of collateral damage to important functionality. It makes me very...
  6. Pressing the start button doesn't work after update

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Pressing the start button doesn't work after update: Hello everyone, I have recently updated to Windows 10 2004 a bit of a late update because I have been also struggling with getting the update to go through for the past 6 months. It finally worked after a clean reinstall of the Windows. Ever since the update I can not bring...
  7. Start button not working after windows 10 update

Start button not working after windows 10 update: Start button not working after windows 10 update also i uninstall latest update but still not working. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/start-button-not-working-after-windows-10-update/8ab12cc4-70d9-4ebe-9b70-ec4c7e28b318
  8. Start button wont work after recent update

Start button wont work after recent update: Did the update to 1909?? this week and since then 1 had problems launching from taskbar and 2 the start button on the left changes colour when overhovered but doesnt do anything so I cant get to the apps etc. Help!...
  9. Start button not working after update/ ms-settings missing?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Start button not working after update/ ms-settings missing?: after a recent update (Saturday) to Windows 10, my start button quit working. I've tried launching ms-settins: I get a message saying "install failed, contact your software vendor" Tried launching settings through the command prompt, getting the response "the system...
  10. Start button not working, not getting updates

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Start button not working, not getting updates: I have 2 pcs with Windows 10. My Acer laptop is working fine at build 10130 but my custom desktop is causing problems. First the Start button and "Ask me anything" do not work. Clicking on the Start button does nothing, pressing the Start button on the keyboard does nothing....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Start button not working after update applied this morning