Windows 10: Start button not working after update/ ms-settings missing?

Discus and support Start button not working after update/ ms-settings missing? in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; after a recent update (Saturday) to Windows 10, my start button quit working. I've tried launching ms-settins: I get a message saying "install... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by jeffkaslon, Aug 7, 2018.

1. Start button not working after update/ ms-settings missing?

after a recent update (Saturday) to Windows 10, my start button quit working.

I've tried launching ms-settins: I get a message saying "install failed, contact your software vendor"

Tried launching settings through the command prompt, getting the response "the system cannot find the file ms-settings"

using Version 1803 (OS build 17730.1000)

:)

jeffkaslon, Aug 7, 2018

2. Start Button displaying but not working

The start button was working until there was a forced reboot (power failure). Then left click (normal click) over the start button does absolutely nothing. Right click brings up a menu but "programs" and also "settings" are missing and not included on this list. Search or Task View buttons do not work either with "normal" click. Does anyone have any suggestion or fixes?
    Thank you in advance *Huh
    Sue

suejbakula, Aug 7, 2018
  3. Start button missing

Hi William,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and thank you for posting your query. Your interest in Windows 10 is much appreciated.

I understand your concern about Start button missing on Windows 10, we will help you to resolve this issue.

This issue might be due to corrupted or missing System files.

I suggest you to perform the below troubleshooting steps and check.

Method 1: Run the SFC.

System File Checker is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files.

Follow the below steps:

• Right click on the Start button, click on
      Command Prompt (Admin).

• Type “sfc /scannow” without the quotes and hit
      Enter.

• After the scan, restart the computer and check for the issue.

Method 2: Run the DISM Tool.

If the issue persists, I would have you run the DISM tool to check the system health and will try to restore the files.

• Right click on the Start button, click on
      Command Prompt (Admin).

• In the Administrator: Command Prompt window, type the following commands. Press the
      Enter key after each command:

• DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth

• DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
    c. To close the Administrator: Command Prompt window, type
    Exit, and then press Enter.
    Note: The tool might take 15-20 minutes to finish running, so please do not cancel it.

Hope this information is helpful. Perform the above troubleshooting steps and kindly update the status of the issue, we will be happy to help you.

Deepika Gowda, Aug 7, 2018
  4. twiggs462 Win User

Start button not working after update/ ms-settings missing?

Start Button Not Working?

What steps should be taken to diagnose a Windows 10 start button not working?

twiggs462, Aug 7, 2018
Thema:

Start button not working after update/ ms-settings missing?

1. Start button not working after update/ ms-settings missing? - Similar Threads - Start button working

2. Start button not working & taskbar icons missing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start button not working & taskbar icons missing: So, my laptop Acer Aspire ES15 Windows 10, was working as normal on Tuesday morning.I clicked on switch user, while I went out for the day.On my return later that evening, I went to sign back in to my user account, but then found none of my tabs would load, as it was offline,...
  3. Start button not working & taskbar icons missing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start button not working & taskbar icons missing: So, my laptop Acer Aspire ES15 Windows 10, was working as normal on Tuesday morning.I clicked on switch user, while I went out for the day.On my return later that evening, I went to sign back in to my user account, but then found none of my tabs would load, as it was offline,...
  4. Start button not working & taskbar icons missing

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Start button not working after W10 update

Start button not working after W10 update: The latest W10 update disabled the Start button, search box and power button in Ctrl, Alt, Delete screen. I had to uninstall the update to get the functions back. Every time there is an update I get some sort of collateral damage to important functionality. It makes me very...
  6. Start button does not work after MS November 2020 updates

Start button does not work after MS November 2020 updates: Some Microsoft Office and Windows update were applied and installed today on my company PC that were released from November 2020. After the first four were installed and required a reboot, my START button will not respond to anything when I click on it. I can only RIGHT...
  7. Start button wont work after recent update

Start button wont work after recent update: Did the update to 1909?? this week and since then 1 had problems launching from taskbar and 2 the start button on the left changes colour when overhovered but doesnt do anything so I cant get to the apps etc. Help!...
  8. Start button not working after setting AppIDSvc service start automatically

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Start button not working after setting AppIDSvc service start automatically: Hi Team, System : Windows 10 Education I want to block Application as well in Safe Mode so I am using AppLocker of Windows 10. Application is successfully blocked when Windows Identity Service is running. I have followed below link and fired below command: sc.exe...
  9. Start Button Missing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Start Button Missing: Suddenly, my Start button disappeared after updating Windows 10. How do I get it back? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/start-button-missing/a51b3d37-c831-43dc-983d-b4fe5ff9298e
  10. Start button not working after update applied this morning

in Windows 10 Support
    Start button not working after update applied this morning: Windows done an update this morning and now the start button doesn't work. Seems to be a common issue with a whole range of fixes out there and stuff that doesn't work, and stuff that makes it worse. Currently I'm trying to remove the updates to see if that fixes it....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. ms-settings install failed. please contact your software vendor

2. windows server 2016 ms-settings install failed

3. ms-settings: install failed