Windows 10: Start Button Not Working (And Cortana, Search, Action Center)

Discus and support Start Button Not Working (And Cortana, Search, Action Center) in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I know many people are having this issue. I updated from Windows 7. I restarted my computer after everything running fine this Saturday morning, and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Venom10, Aug 5, 2015.

1. Venom10 Win User

Start Button Not Working (And Cortana, Search, Action Center)

I know many people are having this issue. I updated from Windows 7. I restarted my computer after everything running fine this Saturday morning, and now the Start Button, Cortana, Search, and Action Center are unresponsive when clicked. I've tried a lot of the fixes I've read online, and I've just installed the new Cumulative patch out today (8/5/15). No luck. Anybody have thoughts or what could be wrong? Or should I uninstall and reinstall Windows 10? I did not do a Clean Install when updating. All help appreciated!

:)

Venom10, Aug 5, 2015

2. Windows 10 Start Menu, Action Center, and Cortana DO NOT WORK

not working sir please help me something had happned to my pc the start button , action center , cortana , search , edge as well as reset is also not working . after removing some malware by malwarebytes

ChiragSharma1213, Aug 5, 2015
  3. jejekj Win User
    Start button does not work in Windows 10

The Start, Cortana, Edge and action Center buttons do not work. How can I fix this problem?

Original title: Start button does not work

jejekj, Aug 5, 2015
  4. Start Button Not Working (And Cortana, Search, Action Center)

Welcome to the forums!

I once had this happen to me after upgrading to a more recent preview build when 10 was still in development, basically the only thing that worked was Cortana most of the time.

A clean install fixed it. I'd recommend doing that, simply speaking this is like a factory reset on your computer.

Windows 10
    This has the download tool to install the respective version of Windows, either 32 or 64 bit (probably 64 bit for yours), and then makes a 4 gig flash drive or DVD into bootable and installable media to install Windows 10 clean and fresh. Before you do that, you will need your product key.
    Product Key - Find for Windows 8
    That resource is here, either Option four or five will work just fine. Make a copy of that take, take a picture as well.

Then ideally back up all your files and data. If you have an external hard drive, fantastic. If you use OneDrive or some other cloud service, even better. Just make sure what you have is saved somewhere else and copied from your system. That's for two reasons, we want to reformat the system drive so that's squeaky clean and for data redundancy sake so if your system blows up, you're fine, you have a copy of your data. (HIGHLY RECOMMEND ONEDRIVE, IT'S FREE, USE IT!)

From there, after Windows 10 is downloaded and made into an installable disk, you need to restart the PC, depending on how old it is and the model you have, you might need to hit a function key to get it to boot from that drive that has Windows 10 on it. And then you do it as a clean install with a clean and wiped out hard drive. After it installs, run Windows Updates, copy back your data, and activate Windows with the product key you saved.

You should then be set, if you need any help or have questions, just reply back!

Coke Robot, Aug 5, 2015
  5. flhthemi Win User
    When it happens here, and it has happened on 2 different boxes, the only thing you can do is either pick a restore point or install windows again telling it to keep all your files. So keep making restore points that have it all working because you will need it sooner or later. Win 10 should not have been released yet...too many bugs! This one has been around for quite a while!

flhthemi, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Start Button Not Working (And Cortana, Search, Action Center)

1. Start Button Not Working (And Cortana, Search, Action Center) - Similar Threads - Start Button Working

2. start icon and action center not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    start icon and action center not working: What to do if the start icon and action center not working.The start icon not working so I can not get to programs or go to power menus to shut down or restart.Can not get to action center to connect Wifi...network....
  3. start icon and action center not working

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    start icon and action center not working: What to do if the start icon and action center not working.The start icon not working so I can not get to programs or go to power menus to shut down or restart.Can not get to action center to connect Wifi...network....
  4. Start Action Button is not Working

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Start Action Button is not Working: Start Action Button is not Working https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/start-action-button-is-not-working/878df6cf-5e4f-4f52-bf4a-dd610736037a
  5. Start Button, Cortana and Search Bar not working

in Cortana
    Start Button, Cortana and Search Bar not working: For a few days, I have been unable to use the start button, Cortana, and search bar. Also, windows applications like groove music, photos, videos, etc, are not working. I tried different tricks but none of them seem to work. I tried SFC scan, dism, and some more things from...
  6. Start button, search bar, calculator, action center, image files, and more not working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Start button, search bar, calculator, action center, image files, and more not working: I recently upgraded to Windows 10, as 7 was no longer supported. It seemed to be working fine, with a few minor errors such as I couldn't view png files. Then after the last windows update installed, I started seeing more items that didn't work. Calculator won't come up...
  7. start ,taskbar , and action center button greyed

in Windows 10 Customization
    start ,taskbar , and action center button greyed: so i want to change taskbar color to custom but the button start, taskbar, and action center is greyed out and i cannot press it. can someone help me make it functionable?...
  8. Cortana and Search buttons not working

in Windows 10 Support
    Cortana and Search buttons not working: Recently I noticed Cortana had failed to operate when I hit the button. Then I noticed that when I hit search, again nothing happened. I think these problems may be related. 77278
  9. Start button and action center button lose functionality

in Windows 10 Support
    Start button and action center button lose functionality: We had a power outage earlier this week which shut down my PC. Upon restart, the 'normal' error screen that 'Windows encountered an error and didn't shutdown correctly' (Safe Mode screen) never appeared and it seemed to boot normally. Ever since, even after a couple of...
  10. Action Center /Search-Cortana /Unresponsive Windows Icon

in Windows 10 Support
    Action Center /Search-Cortana /Unresponsive Windows Icon: I can no longer use Search/Cortana as the Windows icon or Windows key are unresponsive and there is no way to open Search the web and Windows. Also, can no longer open Action Center. Everything was working fine after upgrade from Windows 7 for awhile, then the above...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. start edge cortana action center not working on clean install

2. windows start button cortana notification not working