Windows 10: Start Button on my keyboard won't trigger to open start menu

Discus and support Start Button on my keyboard won't trigger to open start menu in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Title says it all, but why? Last time I was using Windows 7 it was still working fine. Now I noticed it stopped working when I upgraded to Windows 10.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by RoasterMen, Aug 22, 2016.

1. Start Button on my keyboard won't trigger to open start menu

Title says it all, but why? Last time I was using Windows 7 it was still working fine. Now I noticed it stopped working when I upgraded to Windows 10. I'm not bothered by this but I'm just asking if this is normal?

:)

RoasterMen, Aug 22, 2016

2. Start menu/Windows Screen/Cortana not working!

For about a week now my windows screen/start menu, cortana, calculator etc on my taskbar won't open but my internet browsers and other programs will. The windows button on my keyboard also won't open the windows screen. Does anyone know anything that might
    work to fix this? I know it started when I restarted my computer and windows updated again.

ReginaHall90, Aug 22, 2016
  3. Cannot right click taskbar icons on Windows 10. The start menu button on the keyboard won't open the start menu either.

Starting Monday I was not able to right click on any of my taskbar icons (only the programs I have pinned to the taskbar-clock, volume, and others still work) or open my start menu. The start menu button on the keyboard won't open the start menu either.
    Sunday night when I shut it off everything was fine, and then when I started it up Monday this all started. It happened once before and I did a restore from an earlier point and it helped, but this time it didn't. I can still use the left click and open
    the programs pinned to my taskbar, just the right click doesn't work. Anyone have ideas?

OP - Cannot right click taskbar icons on Windows 10

C_Rhinehart, Aug 22, 2016
  4. swarfega Win User

Start Button on my keyboard won't trigger to open start menu

Does the keyboard have a key to block start menu usage. So called game mode.

swarfega, Aug 22, 2016
  5. Mine works, so no this is not normal. I have no idea why it doesn't work though? Does anything at all happen when you press it? What about *Start + X, or *Start + E, or *Start + P ?

alphanumeric, Aug 22, 2016
  6. Nope, it doesn't have anything blocking it. Tried all of the combinations you suggested alphanumeric, but it seems to me that the start button feels dead. Maybe the PS/2 port on the motherboard is failing. I've noticed some random stuck-up while I was playing Counter -Strike: Source where the lights of the numlock turns on and off and goes back to normal again. Thank you guys looks like I'm gonna buy a keyboard to be plugged in the USB port *Smile

RoasterMen, Aug 22, 2016
  7. PS2 keyboard? Must be getting old? Buying a new keyboard sounds like a good plan.

alphanumeric, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Start Button on my keyboard won't trigger to open start menu

1. Start Button on my keyboard won't trigger to open start menu - Similar Threads - Start Button keyboard

2. Start Menu won't open

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start Menu won't open: As the title suggests, the Start Menu won't open for me. That's not the only problem. The taskbar has been faulty and it's been two days.Here are some things I can still do with it:- Open programs that are pinned in the task bar.- Open Task View- Show hidden icons- Change...
  3. Start Menu won't open

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start Menu won't open: As the title suggests, the Start Menu won't open for me. That's not the only problem. The taskbar has been faulty and it's been two days.Here are some things I can still do with it:- Open programs that are pinned in the task bar.- Open Task View- Show hidden icons- Change...
  4. Start Menu won't open

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Windows button works but won't open start menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows button works but won't open start menu: Recently my windows key has stopped working. I know for a fact it is not disabled or broken as I can press the windows button and it closes the start menu but it just won't open the start menu. Also whenever I hit the windows key it makes the blue circle spin on my cursor. I...
  6. Windows button works but won't open start menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows button works but won't open start menu: Recently my windows key has stopped working. I know for a fact it is not disabled or broken as I can press the windows button and it closes the start menu but it just won't open the start menu. Also whenever I hit the windows key it makes the blue circle spin on my cursor. I...
  7. Windows button works but won't open start menu

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  8. Start menu won't open

Start menu won't open: I tried everything including: sfc /scannow DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth and some more but, sfc gives me an error: Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation. and DISM gives me...
  9. Start Menu won't open

Start Menu won't open: The start menu won't open on my computer. I checked the Windows System log and found: Unable to start a DCOM Server: Microsoft.Windows.StartMenuExperienceHost_10.0.19041.423_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy!App as Unavailable/Unavailable. The error: "2147958016" Happened...
  10. Windows start menu won't open

Windows start menu won't open: When I click on the start button nothing happens. How do I get into Windows 10? When I press the windows logo key nothing happens. Please help me. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-start-menu-wont-open/b47a8366-1687-48f9-895e-bc1a6adc45c4