Windows 10: Start button search broken?

Discus and support Start button search broken? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; When I click on the Start button and type control panel, I'm sitting under Bing search which is definitely now what I want. What I expect is for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Ztruker, May 21, 2015.

1. Ztruker Win User

Start button search broken?

When I click on the Start button and type control panel, I'm sitting under Bing search which is definitely now what I want.

What I expect is for this to work like it use to where it should bring Control Panel to the top left pane so I can select it to open Control panel. Ditto for cmd, I expect to cmd.exe where I can right click to Pin to Start or Task bar.

As it is now, it's worthless for me. Ihaved the Taskbar Search disabled, though I tried with it enabled also.

:)

Ztruker, May 21, 2015
  2. DaveM121 Win User

Start button& search

Hi SuperVika,

To remove the Alphabetical list of apps from the Start Menu:

Open the Settings App, go to Personalisation - Start

Turn off 'Show App list in Start Menu'

Also turn off any other options you need from there . . .

To remove all the big tiles from the Start Menu:

Right click each one and choose 'Unpin from Start'

DaveM121, May 21, 2015
  3. Start & search button

I had disabled cortana but found out that it still had the option of Searching the web when i used the search windows on the bottom. When u disable that, it will only search your pc.

How to Disable Web Results in Windows 10 Search

tired of this blue scum, May 21, 2015
  4. Gramps Win User

Doesn't a "right" click on the start button bring up the those options along with others?

Gramps, May 21, 2015
  5. Mystere Win User
    There's only one search in Windows 10. If you only want to do a local search, then you can type "mystuff:control panel" and hit enter Or you can type control panel and click the "My Stuff" button at the bottom.

Unfortunately, the search no longer seems to bring up at the top level icons that are not in the start menu at the top level. If you have to expand a sub-folder, they don't appear in the as-you-type search. For example, typing File Explorer, or Event Viewer doesn't show them either, although using the my stuff search finds them.

But if you search for cmd, it does find it because you're using the actual exe name and not the shortcut name that's in the start menu. Same with typing Explorer rather than File Explorer.

Unfortunately, there's no exe for control panel, but there is a sort of shell shortcut but that doesn't seem to be good enough for the search.

Mystere, May 21, 2015
  6. pcunite Win User
    Have you tried FileSearchEX? I don't have Windows 10 to know if it works there or not, but I love it for giving me a classic search experience.

pcunite, May 21, 2015
  7. Wynona Win User
    Trucker, right click on the Start button, then scroll up to Control Panel and click on it. I find that much easier than starting to type.

Wynona, May 21, 2015
  8. Ztruker Win User

Not what I want. They way it used to work since Vista days was great, why dumb it down and make it useless for finding programs and controls. If I want to search the web I'll go to Google.

I found a good fix though. I installed Start10 from Stardock (30 day free trial). All is well again. I don't use Metro apps so this is no loss for me.

Start button search broken? [​IMG]

Start button search broken? [​IMG]

Just found another sort of fix for this: http://superuser.com/questions/83241...rom-windows-10

Ztruker, May 21, 2015
  9. Mystere Win User
    FYI, this seems to be largely fixed in 10130, typing "control" now brings up control panel as the top item.

Mystere, May 30, 2015
  10. Ztruker Win User
    Yeah! I just noticed the same thing. Thank you Microsoft.

Thanks Mystere

Ztruker, May 30, 2015
  11. pparks1 Win User
    i've had mixed results with the Cortana search on the latest build of Windows 10. Sometimes I can find things like Control Panel and other times it just gives me a bing search.

pparks1, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Start button search broken? - Similar Threads - Start button search

2. My search button is broken

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My search button is broken: Hi, my search is having strange problem. Basically when I open it it will close immediately. Please help since I really need this. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-search-button-is-broken/1417fe25-30df-48e7-b303-b571354a4b9a
  3. My search button is broken

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My search button is broken: Hi, my search is having strange problem. Basically when I open it it will close immediately. Please help since I really need this. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-search-button-is-broken/1417fe25-30df-48e7-b303-b571354a4b9a
  4. My search button is broken

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. My start button, search bar, settings are all broken

in Cortana
    My start button, search bar, settings are all broken: My start button, search bar, settings are all broken,I've tried to repair windows through a usb driveI've tried to download windows from setup.exeI have tried a system restore and file reset from cloud and deviceI have tried fixes from these threads:Can't open settings...
  6. My start button, search bar, settings are all broken

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My start button, search bar, settings are all broken: My start button, search bar, settings are all broken,I've tried to repair windows through a usb driveI've tried to download windows from setup.exeI have tried a system restore and file reset from cloud and deviceI have tried fixes from these threads:Can't open settings...
  7. My start button, search bar, settings are all broken

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. My search button is broken !

in Cortana
    My search button is broken !: Hi there Microsoft, my search button has a very strange action when I open it, basically, it opens and then it closes immediately, I don't know why? but please, give me any help with this problem, I really need the search button, because my computer has many programs and...
  9. Broken Start Button

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Broken Start Button: Unfortunately my Start Button has frozen on my relatively new PC similar thing happened on an laptop I upgraded but on that occasion the task bar froze as well - never found a solution so ended up going back to Windows 7 - don't have that option in this case and I've tried...
  10. Start Button Search

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start Button Search: As of this morning, none of my computers laptop and desktop and tablet will produce search results when clicking START >> then typing something. It worked yesterday. Thus clicking START > Word produces nothing. The START button works, otherwise. I did rebuild the index....