Windows 10: Start Button/Start Menu/All Programs

Discus and support Start Button/Start Menu/All Programs in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; To remove clutter I just right click > open file location, and delete any shortcuts I never want to see again. Links to the authors web site, other... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by mousegolf, Jul 29, 2014.

1. Start Button/Start Menu/All Programs

To remove clutter I just right click > open file location, and delete any shortcuts I never want to see again. Links to the authors web site, other downloads, all that junk that gets added with those free utilities etc. It gets rid of a lot of the junk that ends up on the all apps screen. I used to do the same thing in the Start Menu, there's just and extra step to find the actual shortcut.

alphanumeric, Aug 15, 2014
  2. CountMike New Member

Oh, thanks, just went thru all of them and deleted BIG bunch of links. Much cleaner now. Noticed one thing, the older the program, more junk links with it. If it would only be an option to have only executables make a link there would be no need to do this cleaning after. It looks good now, just to make it scroll vertically and it would be almost perfect menu.

CountMike, Aug 15, 2014
  3. What happens is when there was a Start Menu, some of the program shortcuts would be in sub folders. With the Start Screen they all go on the All Apps screen. You may have noticed when you did the open file location that it looks like the old Start Menu. You should see a Start Menu folder at the top of the tree. I went so far as to add my own shortcuts for Internet Explorer (the real one) and Shutdown.
    View attachment 1341

alphanumeric, Aug 15, 2014
  4. CountMike New Member

Start Button/Start Menu/All Programs

Yes, I found some in subfolders in Program data>Start Menu > Programs > under various programs installed and deleted all unnecessary links. Size of All Apps is now half of what it used to be.

CountMike, Aug 15, 2014
  5. bigseb Win User
    Not to go too far off-topic but why do you use Rocketdock instead of just pinning it to the taskbar? I tried Rocketdock a few times but gave up as I couldn't get all minimised windows to show in the dock... now I just do this...

View attachment 1371

bigseb, Aug 19, 2014
  6. As a RocketDock refugee I can say one reason to use RD is to have the same setup across multiple Windows flavors. XP and Vista don't have Taskbar pinning. I had categorized folders of shortcuts the same in each on RocketDock. Of course I still pinned stuff I used most on OS that supported it or used QuickLaunch if it didn't. Also I had 7Stacks with categorized stacks on Taskbar in Vista and W7.

Now I only have W8 and I'm bored with the same RD setup ritual. I just stumble along with a Taskbar Toolbar folder. *Smile

MilesAhead, Aug 21, 2014
  7. Tony K Win User
    This is a test to see if automatic thread subscription works. *Smile

Edit:

Yes it does. *Smile

Tony K, Aug 26, 2014
  8. Start Button/Start Menu/All Programs

Do you see my reply in your subscriptions list?

JDobbsy1987, Aug 26, 2014
  9. Tony K Win User
    If directed at me, I see this one now that I posted before you and therefore subscribed. In 8F there's an option to automatically subscribe or not if one posts. Here it automatically subscribes. This used to be a watched thread in the old software of which we all lost those.

Tony K, Aug 26, 2014
  10. Yes it was for you, just so you could see if it showed up in your list that's all

JDobbsy1987, Aug 26, 2014
  11. Tony K Win User
    Thanks for the help. *Smile

Tony K, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Start Button/Start Menu/All Programs

1. Start Button/Start Menu/All Programs - Similar Threads - Start Button Start

2. Moving All Apps button on Start menu dialog

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving All Apps button on Start menu dialog: Windows 11 Professional.I click on the start menu icon. The bottom of the popup shows my username button on the bottom lower left, and the shutdown button on the bottom lower right. Going vertical, there's some space then a Recommended text. Moving up there are icons of...
  3. Moving All Apps button on Start menu dialog

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Moving All Apps button on Start menu dialog: Windows 11 Professional.I click on the start menu icon. The bottom of the popup shows my username button on the bottom lower left, and the shutdown button on the bottom lower right. Going vertical, there's some space then a Recommended text. Moving up there are icons of...
  4. Start Menu Buttons not responsive

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Start Menu Buttons not responsive: Hi Community,I had this issue before and now it comes back again. So here's the issue:This issue only occurs when my PC wakes up I normally put it to sleep instead of turning off. The buttons on the menu bar that related to Win10 system becomes not responsive. For example, I...
  5. Start Menu Button

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start Menu Button: My Start Menu button will not leave the corner even when I am in full screen on some other program [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/start-menu-button/c5a7c99c-090b-4c74-a246-a01a05a75bf8
  6. start menu button.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    start menu button.: when I press start menu button the apps are all over the screen and theres no list of programs. Its a new laptop days old acer aspire 3 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/start-menu-button/cd973177-9c07-41bc-9018-11f19c89242c
  7. Start menu button size

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start menu button size: How do I change the size of the menu buttons in the start menu? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/start-menu-button-size/9aea2aec-bd37-4def-845b-0b01d1631434
  8. It all started with the Start Menu problem

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    It all started with the Start Menu problem: It all started with the start menu not opening up. I tried a couple things, but I had to create another user for myself. The problem now its giving my the oops something went wrong error when prompted for my local password when trying to switch from a local to the Microsoft...
  9. Start Menu - All Programs fully expanded

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu - All Programs fully expanded: I don't get a clickable All Programs in Start, instead I get an expanded list of everything. I've probably clicked some option somewhere. The Most Often Used list is also weird - e.g. I use Notepad++ much more than I use Sigil. I'd like to get back to having a collapsed...
  10. Windows Start Button/Start menu not working

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Start Button/Start menu not working: When I click on the Windows icon in the bottom left hand corner of the screen nothing happens. I've re-booted, restored and via Powershell I've tried the 'Get - Appx package etc' that has been suggested in a number of places on the Web. None of that has worked. I've...