Windows 10: Start button + task bar not working

Discus and support Start button + task bar not working in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, Got my Win 10 at the lauch day and have been enjoying it until I decided to do some clean up. I ran Ccleaner and Puran utilities reg cleaning... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Elmo, Aug 14, 2015.

1. Elmo Win User

Start button + task bar not working

Hi,

Got my Win 10 at the lauch day and have been enjoying it until I decided to do some clean up. I ran Ccleaner and Puran utilities reg cleaning tools. After that the start button and task bar became unresponsive.

I tried to google the issue and found out a sort of a solution, but it's not good enough to be permanent. This was that fix:
    • Right click on the Start Menu button and open Command Prompt (Admin)
    • Enter PowerShell in the command line
    • Paste the following line in the Administrator: PowerShell Window:
      • Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register “$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml”}
    • Wait for the PowerShell to execute the command (ignore a few red error codes).
    The problem with this is that I need to do this everytime I boot the computer, so it doesn't fix it permanently.

I'm also having problems with updates which seems to be failing everytime. I was hoping the updates would fix the first problem, but since the updates won't istall, I can't know if they would.

I tried to refresh the windows without affecting my files, but that failed to complete.

So now I'm thinking about fully resetting the install, but since I don't have external hard drive, I wouldn't want to go that far with this.

So I was wondering if anyone else has struggled with tha same issue and would found a way to fix this without fully resetting the system?

:)

2. b1jqxk44 Win User

No start button?

I just updated to build 14291 and still no start button or task bar.

I found my problem I had the task bar lock on off, Turn it back on and it works great.

Thanks coreyd_0512 for the help.

b1

b1jqxk44, Aug 14, 2015
  3. Start button and task bar not working

Hi Amanda,

Thank you for keeping us posted.

I would suggest you to try the methods below and check if it helps:

Method 1: Startup Repair

Startup Repair is a Windows recovery tool that can fix certain problems, such as missing or damaged system files. I would suggest you to follow the steps below to perform startup repair.

• Press Windows key + I to open settings.

• Select Update & security > Recovery.

• Under Advanced startup select Restart now.

• After your PC restarts to the Choose an option screen, select
      Troubleshoot
      > Advanced options >
      Startup Repair.
    Method 2: Safety Scanner

Run the Microsoft Safety Scanner
    to scan for virus and malware and check if the issue persists.

Note: The Microsoft Safety Scanner expires 10 days after being downloaded. To rerun a scan with the latest anti-malware definitions, download and run the Microsoft Safety Scanner again.

Safety Scanner Disclaimer: There could be a loss of data while performing a scan using Microsoft safety scanner to eliminate viruses if any.

Let us know the result.

Wungraileng Vashi, Aug 14, 2015
  4. robgr Win User

robgr, Aug 14, 2015
  5. I got the same issue with taskbar and start menu. It just doesn't do anything when I click on taskbar icons, start etc.
    I tried the thing with PowerShell, but it didn't go through (a lot of red error codes) and it didn't even fix it temporarily like for you.
    I've tried to make another account (because I found it posted in this thread: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...5987147&auth=1 ) and the start menu, taskbar, calendar everything is working fine in there.
    This is the comment:
    I don't want to migrate to another account though. I guess I'll do a clean install of Windows 10 if nothing will be working..

+ Also I found this comment:
    Does anybody else use ESET (with disabled Windows Firewall) while having these issues?

AccEnlight, Aug 14, 2015
  6. Kyricus Win User
    I'm having the same problem too. Everything was fine up until yesterday, then it just stopped working. From what I've read, and there are numerous posts about this issue on Microsofts forums, it's an issue related to the user profile. As of now, there seems to be no fix other than creating a new user account.

Like others, I really dont' want to do that. Heh, of course, I'm moving this weekend so it's not like I have time to fiddle around with it anyway.

I've also found, it's not just the taskbar. Seems to effect any new Windows 10 program tied to your profile . The new Photo Viewer isn't working any longer either. Legacy stuff is fine, and I can get to it via shortcuts I have on my desktop. Which of course, if I need to create a new profile, I'll have to go and migrate over.

Kyricus, Aug 14, 2015
  7. Check in perfmon, if you have this enabled and running: DiagLog, WdiContextLog
    Check running services: Diagnostic Policy Service, Diagnostic Service Host.
    When those are disabled ShellExperienceHost fails to run properly.

Windows Updates have many dependencies like:

Background Intelligent Transfer Service
    Cryptographic Services
    Network Location Awareness
    Windows Firewall (required by store updates)

Puran is quite outdated, try to use something more recent with 10 support, like WiseCare.

TairikuOkami, Aug 14, 2015
  8. Elmo Win User

I'm not sure, but I know I didn't save the old registry.. :/

Tried that but it only got to 48% until saying "Windows resource protection could not perform the requested operation". *Sad

9. Elmo Win User
    Could you give more specific instructions how to check those things?

** Just noticed I couldn't find snipping tool anywhere, so it might be linked to what Kyricus said about programs linked to the profile.

10. Right click Start - Computer Management - Services - to check, if they are running.

11. Elmo Win User
    Check in perfmon, if you have this enabled and running: DiagLog, WdiContextLog
    Check running services: Diagnostic Policy Service, Diagnostic Service Host.
    When those are disabled ShellExperienceHost fails to run properly.

I found the diagnostics policy service and diagnostic service host are runnig, but couldn't figure out how to check the first ones, DiagLof and WdiContextLog.

12. Nevermind those, if those services are running, they do as well.
    Relating to Windows Updates as well, have you tried SFC scan?

Download this and run this as admin, it will cleanup some mess.

13. Elmo Win User

Sfc scan only got to 48% and said ""Windows resource protection could not perform the requested operation"

That DISM fix only say following

Start button + task bar not working [​IMG]

I'll try to run is as an administrator..

It finished, but the sfc scan still got stuck at 48 and failed.. Everything else ran through and I booted the computer, but the issue stil remains.. :/

14. damocles Win User
    Did you try sfc/ scannow from a Command Prompt with Admin, it should repair any corrupt files.

damocles, Aug 14, 2015
  15. Elmo Win User
    I did but it only gets to 48% and says "Windows resource protection could not perform the requested operation"

Thema:

1. Start button + task bar not working - Similar Threads - Start button task

2. Start button, Search bar and Notifications button not working on task bar

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start button, Search bar and Notifications button not working on task bar: Hi there, My PC is only about 3 or 4 months old. That being said, the most recent things that have happened were an update on my pc on the 19th of this month, and I moved my OS from my hdd to an ssd. I cant pinpoint exactly when the issues started happening, but it was within...
  3. Start button, Search bar and Notifications button not working on task bar

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start button, Search bar and Notifications button not working on task bar: Hi there, My PC is only about 3 or 4 months old. That being said, the most recent things that have happened were an update on my pc on the 19th of this month, and I moved my OS from my hdd to an ssd. I cant pinpoint exactly when the issues started happening, but it was within...
  4. Start button, Search bar and Notifications button not working on task bar

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. start button and search bar working on the task bar

in Windows 10 Gaming
    start button and search bar working on the task bar: Hiright someone please help me out here, both of the start button and search bar at the bottom on the task bar are irresponsible. went to settings-personalisation-taskbar and search isn’t even there to click never mind it being off. i don’t know if somethings deleted or...
  6. start button and search bar working on the task bar

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    start button and search bar working on the task bar: Hiright someone please help me out here, both of the start button and search bar at the bottom on the task bar are irresponsible. went to settings-personalisation-taskbar and search isn’t even there to click never mind it being off. i don’t know if somethings deleted or...
  7. TASK BAR AND START MENU BUTTON NOT WORKING

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    TASK BAR AND START MENU BUTTON NOT WORKING: Don't know what I did, but a few weeks ago: 1 task bar buttons nonresponsive 2 windows start icon nonresponsive 3 start to work and some programs have been closed, i.e. Quickbooks...
  8. START button on the task bar is not working.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    START button on the task bar is not working.: This happened this evening. No updates were running in background. I was surfing internet on Microsoft Edge and then suddenly found that Windows START button was not responding. All other buttons of the taskbar are responding as it is. I did a restart but that didn't help...
  9. start button not working ..blank task bar

in Windows 10 Customization
    start button not working ..blank task bar: Hello after the latest update what is going on now my laptop is not working properly after your update WHERE is the update to fix this problem https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/start-button-not-working-blank-task-bar/a34f96c0-a4f5-455d-92ae-eb27def2faab
  10. Start menu button and task bar not working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Start menu button and task bar not working: Start menu won't function and all pinned apps have disappeared from task bar. On my task manager it shows 99 Windows processes operating but no IE or Windows icon on task manager. I was shopping on Amazon after an update yesterday when I believe I encountered malware. Help...