Windows 10: Start Button Unresponsive

Discus and support Start Button Unresponsive in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; My start button and Windows key frequently become unresponsive. The only thing I can do is sign out and sign back in or restart manually. This happens... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by dustnik, Jul 17, 2016.

1. dustnik Win User

Start Button Unresponsive

My start button and Windows key frequently become unresponsive. The only thing I can do is sign out and sign back in or restart manually. This happens at least once a day, and I'm getting really tired of it. It seems to have started after the last version of Windows 10 was installed. How can I fix this?

:)

dustnik, Jul 17, 2016

2. Start Button Unresponsive

Ruth - this fix is not working. This is also mentioned in another thread and nobody has answered ... can you please help?

Below is a copy of the prompt and the error message I got:

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> $manifest = (Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.WindowsStore).InstallLocation + '\AppxManifest.xml' ; Add

-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $manifest

Add-AppxPackage : Deployment failed with HRESULT: 0x80073CF6, Package could not be registered.

error 0x8E5E0226: Adding a tile failed with unexpected error.

NOTE: For additional information, look for [ActivityId] dd4fd745-eab7-0001-91e3-4fddb7ead001 in the Event Log or use

the command line Get-AppxLog -ActivityID dd4fd745-eab7-0001-91e3-4fddb7ead001

At line:1 char:94

+ ... fest.xml' ; Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $manife ...

+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo : WriteError: (C:\Program File...ppxManifest.xml:String) [Add-AppxPackage], IOException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : DeploymentError,Microsoft.Windows.Appx.PackageManager.Commands.AddAppxPackageCommand

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32>

AneliaRousseva, Jul 17, 2016
  3. Start Button Unresponsive

Hi,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Communities.

I will be glad to help you with the issue you have with the computer. I understand the frustration when things don't work the way it should.

Please try the following:

• Open the Task manager. Here’s a tip: Press CTRL+Shift+ESC.
    • Click File > Run New Task
    • Make sure you have a check mark beside “Create this task with administrative privileges”
    • Type Powershell
    • Type the following in the Powershell prompt:

$manifest = (Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.WindowsStore).InstallLocation + '\AppxManifest.xml' ; Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $manifest
    • Close the Powershell window

Then Reboot.
    Hope this information is helpful. Please post in case you have any further issues, I will be glad to help you.

Thank you.

Ruth Buruga, Jul 17, 2016
  4. ARC
    Arc Win User

5. dustnik Win User
    I ran the troubleshooter, but it couldn't find the problem.

dustnik, Jul 18, 2016
  6. ARC
    Arc Win User
    In that case, please consider the next two options of the page as well.

7. dustnik Win User
    What other two options? Where?

dustnik, Jul 18, 2016
  8. ARC
    Arc Win User

9. dustnik Win User
    You mean reset my PC as in return it to factory settings? If so, that seems a little drastic, don't you think. And I don't see why a new administrator account would fix the problem of an unresponsive start button. The problem lies in Windows 10 itself, and there needs to be an update to address this bug.

When this happens while I'm viewing a website, everything on the screen freezes and I have to close it up and sign out and sign back in. Very frustrating! It just happened a minute ago.

dustnik, Jul 18, 2016
  10. ARC
    Arc Win User
    I can neither address a bug nor fix it, mate. I just can say what we can do to get rid of the issue within the prevailing situation.

11. dustnik Win User
    Thanks anyway for trying.

dustnik, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Start Button Unresponsive - Similar Threads - Start Button Unresponsive

2. Windows 11 start menu button unresponsive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 start menu button unresponsive: After applying the cumulative february update windows 11 my start menu became unresponsive, even completely freezing my firefox browser sometimes when i tried to open the start menu, i couldn´t click anywhere else for some second, I deleted the update and waited for march...
  3. Windows 11 start menu button unresponsive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 start menu button unresponsive: After applying the cumulative february update windows 11 my start menu became unresponsive, even completely freezing my firefox browser sometimes when i tried to open the start menu, i couldn´t click anywhere else for some second, I deleted the update and waited for march...
  4. Settings not openning up, start button not working, taskbar unresponsive

in Windows 10 Customization
    Settings not openning up, start button not working, taskbar unresponsive: so as the title says, nothing is working all of a sudden. i cant access my settings, i cant access the start button, i cant access my mail on my toolbar. i can still access other things on my toolbar but those things dont work. ive tried a few fixes through powershell but to...
  5. Settings not openning up, start button not working, taskbar unresponsive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Settings not openning up, start button not working, taskbar unresponsive: so as the title says, nothing is working all of a sudden. i cant access my settings, i cant access the start button, i cant access my mail on my toolbar. i can still access other things on my toolbar but those things dont work. ive tried a few fixes through powershell but to...
  6. Power button on Start menu unresponsive in the lower half

Power button on Start menu unresponsive in the lower half: I've noticed that the Power button on the Windows Start menu of my laptop is unresponsive when clicked anywhere in the lower half of the button. The problem is quite evident from just hovering over the lower half of the button - the button doesn't get highlighted until...
  7. Start Button and Security Settings are unresponsive

Start Button and Security Settings are unresponsive: Been having problems since the 2nd July 2021 after a "security intelligence update KB2267602 v. 1.343.233.0". The system calculator wouldn't open, nor would volume control from the system tray. When I shut down that night, I was prompted to update and shut down. The next day...
  8. How to fix unresponsive Start button in Win10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to fix unresponsive Start button in Win10: My start button has become unresponsive. Everything else seems to work but the start button. I've power cycled but no luck. How can I fix this?...
  9. Pressing the Start button makes my computer unresponsive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Pressing the Start button makes my computer unresponsive: Hi, I updated Windows to allow the new Xbox app and ever since then every time I press the start button my PC becomes unresponsive. Any ideas how to troubleshoot why?...
  10. Taskbar blank & Start button unresponsive

in Windows 10 Support
    Taskbar blank & Start button unresponsive: Now & then when I start my computer, nothing appears in the task bar, the Microsoft Start button at the bottom left fails to respond to either a left or right click, the Cortana window "Ask me anything" & the Task View are also unresponsive' I then restart the computer...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 start button unresponsive

2. server 2016 and start button and unresponsive

3. start button and cortna became unresponsive