Windows 10: Start button vanishes?

Discus and support Start button vanishes? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I ran memory and disk tests, no issues there. Right now I just simultaneously clicked open all programs I could think of from Cubase to everything... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by deeaa, Apr 21, 2016.

1. deeaa Win User

Start button vanishes?

I ran memory and disk tests, no issues there.

Right now I just simultaneously clicked open all programs I could think of from Cubase to everything Office and whatnot, closed them up again, loaded a few music projects, closed them up again, opened all programs I have again, closed them...no issues everything works like a charm. DPC latency is at 500 u-seconds, acceptable.

But I'm sure when I come back to the machine after a while it has either spiked the latency really high and/or the start button has vanished...Start button vanishes? :) well we'll see maybe I'm in luck and these last 5 reboots I did just now fixed something.

deeaa, Apr 23, 2016
  2. dalchina New Member

Page faults: have a look under the Stats tab in LatencyMon:

Start button vanishes? [​IMG]

-might give a hint.

Do you have fast startup on? Try turning it off.. ref. your initial comment about the issue being related to startup. This has helped some people in some circumstances.

dalchina, Apr 23, 2016
  3. The best option for that would be going into the Startup tab found now in the Taskmanager with a right click on the main taskbar. You selectively would pick non essentials on the list seen there for programs that don't have to start up along with Windows or can be manually started up at any time while the problem of the missing Start button or inabililty to open things like the AllApps is generally a glitch seen during the 10 upgrade install with the System Restore feature.

Some have been able to run the PowerShell method to get this cleared up. When you do have the Start button working and can right click on it you would choose the Command prompt(Admin) option and type "Powershell" at the dos like prompt and hit enter. You then copy and paste the following into the PowerShell once that opens up.

Simply ignore any errors in red that come up on you. The one thing to make sure is that you run the Administrator: Windows PowerShell since you will be needing the admin permissions for this option to work. The problem isn't anything new for 10 note! An MS TechNet page explains how to rename the user account folder in 7 that can work on 10 as well. How to Rename a Windows 7 User Account and Related Profile Folder - TechNet Articles - United States (English) - TechNet Wiki

Night Hawk, Apr 23, 2016
  4. deeaa Win User

Start button vanishes?

Thanks, I'll try that the next time it appears...yesterday I did manage to work all day with no issues, and even the latency was within acceptable limits!

deeaa, Apr 24, 2016
  5. When firing up the new VM to last night a few hours ago at first it looked like the Start menu wasn't going to open at all and then suddenly it popped open like it should. I then was able to get a few screens for another thread with that open on VM while comparing the changes being seen to the Start menu now seeing icons for the shutdown Power options as well as Settings, Explorer, Network, and the user account. Once they start making changes to things this type of bug can appear out of nowhere at times.

At least you are making progress and not simply stuck needing a full install again. Up until this time it has been mostly seen by those who were only seeing upgrades and not clean installs until the new changes in prep for the 1st anniversary update coming in July arrives. Some other changes are also being noticed more now with this build that just came out in the last day that are being found one at a time!

Night Hawk, Apr 24, 2016
  6. deeaa Win User
    Yesterday I worked for about 5 hours without issues, made 7 basic video renders and uploaded to my YouTube channel YouTube.com/ and sent 9 new songs of mine to Spotify and more to soundclick, while working on graphics and surfing and checking my mails and listening to said songs....

Having done all that for so long, I finally notice the start button does not work again and keyboard shortcuts neither. No issues otherwise. Can't see anything out of ordinary in event viewer either.

As for latency, trying out Asio4All instead of Focusrite ASIO today!

But the most pressing issue i.e. the release of my latest album is done finally despite all problems! Thanks for your help and I'm sure things will get fixed.

deeaa, Apr 28, 2016
  7. deeaa Win User
    BTW just now upon boot not only didn't StartButton work, but also all taskbar icons were missing as well as the clock - only the nonfunctional start button and magnifying glass were shown as well as the message center icon. Rebooted and they work again.

deeaa, Apr 28, 2016
  8. Start button vanishes?

It's definitely a Windows glitch! Upon seeing a fresh clean install get this from the BT folder on a VM all seemed to go well last weekend until finding I ended up with a stubborn Start button! I have to wait and wait at times to get it open while other times it will open a couple of times on the spot before acting up again.

You won't have to worry about what programs you are running being a concern since this is even more commonly seen with upgrade installs from the previous versions which tend to turn out seeing glitches like this when something doesn't go on fully! And that is just has happened too often. Join the club!

Night Hawk, Apr 28, 2016
  9. deeaa Win User
    Well, a couple of days I had no issues. Then, windows loaded fine but not only start button doesn't work but programs refuse to launch. Edge, Chrome...they are visible in TaskManager as running programs (and several instances too) but nothing opens onscreen.

Restarted via right button click, no change nothing works.

Turned off power completely and drained the motherboard power by holding down start button while off, rebooted, everything works fine!

I'm more and more convinced this is something about memory / mobo compatibility combined with some windows driver glitches or such.

Maybe I should try to swap memory chips.

deeaa, May 4, 2016
  10. What you did there was simply recycle power on the supply by draining the caps. I have to do that there at times when after shutting down completely the main won't fire back up right away until the supply is tended to. None of that effects how the Start button, menu, or anything else works in Windows however.

Some time back someone posted how they had used the Power Shell option to restore the Windows application package when running into the Start button, Start menu problems on an upgrade. With 10 bringing in the new start menu removed from 8 originally there's seems to be a common glitch with it that is system related more then anything. I don't know if this will help any since 10 has progressed along quite a bit from the early Alpha to Tech Preview builds. But ghacks had one older guide on how to backup as well as restore the Start menu in 10 you can look over. How to backup or reset the start menu in Windows 10 - gHacks Tech News

Here I bypass that type of problem for the most part by running with the Stardock START10 alternative app. While that has stalled on a few occasions where the Start button disappeared but still showed the Start10.svr process still running I simply went to the program's folder not link option in the menu and checked for an update which then saw that corrected. The $5 fee is for the lifetime account per each pc not just a one time download and license key it seems.

The second desktop on the other hand just saw an update stall out with an error about the update's exe set up file. So I guess which ever way you choose to go there will be some bug coming up you have to work with or work around it seems! *Confused Yet the Start10 as well as regular Start menu always seem to manage on VM after VM without running into any!

Night Hawk, May 4, 2016
  11. deeaa Win User
    What I have found out so far is this;

It never occurs after a completely cold boot. Meaning, the motherboard having had no power whatsoever for a while.
    Typically I keep my PC always in power; just turn it off and it shuts down, but of course mobo lights stay on etc.

But if I physically disconnect the power by means of an external power switch in the extension cable...it always boots correctly and has the start button functioning and all. I just switched the PC power to the same extension cable (with switch) as the monitor etc. and now it works fine it seems.

Go figure.

deeaa, May 7, 2016
  12. dalchina New Member
    Random thought- try turning off fast startup. No idea if that will help, but does solve some odd quirks related to power up for some people.

dalchina, May 7, 2016
  13. Start button vanishes?

Might be an idea! I suspect what is being seen from a cold start is all 10 functions are being loaded fresh when first powering everything up without necessarily being anything hardware but still strictly Windows system related in origin. Remember the Start button and Start menu are GUI items that load after the main base processes are fired up as the desktop arrives.

The main shell is already loaded by that time while each is a separate item on it's own. Sounds like a fast restart won't see that item loaded up again automatically as it should indicating you are still seeing an unfixed glitch in 10 itself. I had another stubborn bug when running with the Threshold 2 build for two months where I could no longer name new folders or even rename existing ones without any solution found. I re-enabled the Get insider builds option and have only seen one minor bug with the Windows sounds function with two or three builds only since having seen each newer build from the 14257 forward. That came up on the 14295 build and stayed on with the 315 and 295 that followed but then cleared on on the 328 and now 332 presently on. The upgrade by update fixes the unsolvable at times!

Night Hawk, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Start button vanishes?

1. Start button vanishes? - Similar Threads - Start button vanishes

2. Start box vanished from Taskbar

in Windows 10 Support
    Start box vanished from Taskbar: Can anyone. please, help me to recover it? 21H1 182843
  3. Start button

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start button: when I close out of whatever app I am in, rather than seeing the desktop, I am treated to what looks similar to the start screen even though full-screen start is off. this page seems to be titled "pinned apps", and behind it I can see my desktop pic, but not the desktop...
  4. Start button

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Start button: Start button does not show program list or power down options. Can you assist please? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/start-button/2c337b41-0aa1-40cc-82d7-2c4bf4f35ac4
  5. start button

start button: I lost my original screen that was a custom-setup for my programs that I use. Is there a way to get the original start screen back? The way it came from the software company? thank you....
  6. the button to turn on BLUETOOTH has VANISHED!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    the button to turn on BLUETOOTH has VANISHED!: suddenly my headphone is not connected to my Laptop Windows 10 and then I tried to turn it off and back on again but as soon as I turned it off, the button to turn it on is Gone. it says Bluetooth is turned off but how am I suppose to turn it on? when I checked the device...
  7. Start Button

Start Button: my start button will not display any programs https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start-win_menu/start-button/1e6f2289-fdaf-4fa0-b9eb-347dc509f1fa
  8. Start button

Start button: The start key has stopped working (the one that looks like a window), how do I fix this. I can't access any of my apps. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start-win_general/start-button/a3d0a83e-ea63-47ea-a90e-1260d1e16c1f
  9. start button

start button: Is there a way to change the Start button ? I searched with Google but couldn't find anything Thanks 14525
  10. Start Button

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Button: The Start Button and Cortana went off the screen at the bottom. I know I still have them if I switch the taskbar to the right of the screen in a vertical position. Both the Start Button and Cortana will now show. So how do I get them to show if I switch the taskbar from the...