Windows 10: Start Home Page Apps Basic Question

Discus and support Start Home Page Apps Basic Question in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; This is a real basic question (I think). Pictures are from two different computers. The bottom second picture. Question. Turn computer on. Home... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by songkrai, Aug 8, 2016.

1. songkrai Win User

Start Home Page Apps Basic Question

This is a real basic question (I think).
    Pictures are from two different computers.

The bottom second picture.
    Question.
    Turn computer on. Home screen.
    Click on the flag bottom left. The words - All Apps, Power, Settings, File Explorer comes up. And the blue icons above that. This is the way the computer came out of the box.

The top first picture.
    Turn computer on. Home screen.
    Click on the flag on bottom left. Here, the All Apps Power, Settings, Filer Explorer has changed. All still there but in a different format. Icons and such.

Question.
    How do I make the top picture computer (just the apps part wording) look like the bottom computer with the words:
    All Apps, Power, Settings, etc?

No, I am not attempting to make both computers home screen exactly the same.
    Just the bottom left pop up black box part where the words Apps, Power, Settings.
    So that when I turn on each computer click on the flag and the words
    Settings
    Power
    All Apps
    come up on both computers.

Something caused the first picture computer to change. It did state All Apps, Power, Settings, etc.
    I don't know if some software I installed did this or I mistakenly clicked something.

Summary.
    I want the first top picture computer to look like the bottom picture computer - just the part after clicking the flag on bottom left of screen.

[url='http://s106.photobucket.com/user//media/Screenshot%202A%202016_zpsdhgytofr.jpg.html']
    [img]http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m242//Screenshot%202A%202016_zpsdhgytofr.jpg
    [/url][/IMG]

[url='http://s106.photobucket.com/user//media/Print%20Screen%201%202016%20-%20Copy_zpsq6wefwct.jpg.html']
    [img]http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m242//Print%20Screen%201%202016%20-%20Copy_zpsq6wefwct.jpg
    [/url][/IMG]

:)

songkrai, Aug 8, 2016

2. How do I Add or hide a Toolbar in Internet Explorer11 / Win10 please?

Windows 10: Change the Microsoft Edge home page

Type in about:blank for the page.

Don

Don Varnau, Aug 8, 2016
  3. WIndows 10 all user home page

If running Professional, Ultimate or Enterprise versions of Windows you can specify a Home page through gpedit.msc, Group Policy Editor. Gpedit is not available in Home or Basic versions of Windows.

See:

How to set the Internet Explorer Home Page via GPO?

Don

Don Varnau, Aug 8, 2016
  4. Start Home Page Apps Basic Question

The top image (Lenovo) looks to be running Win10 1607, the bottom image doesn't seem to be the same build

Run Winver on both machines and check the build #.

Slartybart, Aug 8, 2016
  5. songkrai Win User
    Thanks.
    Correct.
    One is build 1511 and the other is build 1607.

So did the update Anniversary make these changes?

songkrai, Aug 8, 2016
  6. Yes - the hamburger menu (1607) replacing the user icon (1511) was the clue

Slartybart, Aug 9, 2016
  7. songkrai Win User
    I hate symbols without words. English language words.
    Why can't Microsoft provide an option to revert back to original?

Same holds true for automobiles. The dashboard is full of gauges with symbols. Yes, I know what the gasoline symbol means. But some of the others.
    When I rent an automobile my time taken to learn what all the symbols mean.
    I rented a Toyota Hybrid one time late at night at Skyharbor Airport. That's all they had left for cars. Took an extra half hour to figure out how to start the car. Even the night attendant didn't know how to start car.

songkrai, Aug 9, 2016
  8. Edwin New Member

@songkrai:
    Short of reverting to the older Build, there's no way around it; it is what it is.
    Eventually you do memorize what each symbol indicates.

One work around, (sort of), would be to set 'MouseHoverTime' really short so you get a 'hover tip' on mouse over immediately:

Start Home Page Apps Basic Question [​IMG]

Edwin, Aug 9, 2016
  9. If you click on the hamburger in the upper left pane, text appears ... English text (I suppose though that depends on the system language *Wink)

Slartybart, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Start Home Page Apps Basic Question - Similar Threads - Start Home Page

2. Location of App Icons on Home page

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Location of App Icons on Home page: I n the past I was able to relocate my app icons nearly anwhere on the home page. I can no longer do that. I cannot reorder, nor move them around to where I want. They all remain in vertical columns on the left side of the screen. I can only move the icon up aand down a...
  3. Location of App Icons on Home page

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Location of App Icons on Home page: I n the past I was able to relocate my app icons nearly anwhere on the home page. I can no longer do that. I cannot reorder, nor move them around to where I want. They all remain in vertical columns on the left side of the screen. I can only move the icon up aand down a...
  4. Location of App Icons on Home page

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Basic Font question?

in Windows 10 Support
    Basic Font question?: Windows 10 Pro 21H1 19043.1110 Never had the need to do this before, but how do you install new fonts into the Font folder? I go to the Font folder in C/Windows/Fonts, but I can find no way to install the new fonts I have? They are ttf type. I tried drag and drop, doesn't...
  6. Permissions - Basic Questions

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Permissions - Basic Questions: 1) Has Microsoft changed the names they use for Principal in WIndows 10 versus Windows 7? 2) The following file (see original and new) -- prior to my messing with editing permissions -- had a line for "Trusted Installer". After playing with permissions I attempted to put...
  7. Missing Start Menu and apps setting home page comes on and then disappears

Missing Start Menu and apps setting home page comes on and then disappears: I've tried almost everything I could find to fix this. One MS fixit ran and said my start Menu was corrupt. Does one fix a corrupt file? Can the Start Menu be reinstalled. I've literally spent 3 days fooling with this. Can anyone help?...
  8. Weather app is not show the right home town on start page

Weather app is not show the right home town on start page: Weather app is not show the right home town on start page. It show the home town after you open it. It show you Washington, DC if it open by it self. Need some help on this. Have try to reset it, renter number times on the setting page for the weather, all not work right....
  9. Start Page Tile Icon Question?.

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Page Tile Icon Question?.: Hi, I was adding a new shortcut and rearranging things on my start page tiles and somehow got the new tile icon for handbrake into the existing one for Control Panel. This resulted in two smaller icons in the same tile. I fiddled about and got Handbrake into its own tile but...
  10. Some basic questions

in Windows 10 Support
    Some basic questions: At the moment I am using Win 7 (Dell OEM) and still considering Win 10. However, there are a few basic questions that I would be grateful for answers to. 1) I have Windows updates set to 'ask before downloading'. The impression I get from the media and internet is that MS...