Windows 10: Start Icon Display

Discus and support Start Icon Display in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; First time user! I have a Toshiba Satellite laptop running Windows 10 as well as my desktop PC also running Windows 10. When I click on the Start... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Tegiro, Apr 30, 2016.

1. Tegiro Win User

Start Icon Display

First time user!
    I have a Toshiba Satellite laptop running Windows 10 as well as my desktop PC also running Windows 10.

When I click on the Start button on my laptop I get countless icons in the display screen. Icons for such items as Task Scheduler, Resource Monitor, Disk Cleanup, Computer Management, etc, etc,. Besides these icons I have my regular ones such as News, Games, Emails and other personal programs.

Now if I click the Start button on my desktop PC I do not have the same display. As a matter of fact I have quite a few less, such as the first 4 plus many others I mentioned for my laptop.

I have compared as best as I could the "All Settings" configurations for both desktop and laptop but I still cannot have all icons displayed on my desktop PC similar to that on my laptop.

Is there someplace I have missed to do this?
    Anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you,

:)

Tegiro, Apr 30, 2016
  2. MZig Win User

Icons for webpage shortcuts missing from Start Menu tiles after install of Windows 10 Build 10586.420

After installing the latest Windows 10 update (OS Build 10586.420), icons for webpage shortcuts previously on my Start Menu as tiles have disappeared. The tiles are still there and working, but the icons are now displaying as the generic Chrome (or Edge)
    icon instead of the correct icon for the shortcut. I can add a shortcut to my desktop or to the taskbar and the correct icon will display. Right clicking on the shortcut from the desktop and selecting "Pin to Start" will add a new tile to the Start Menu,
    but the correct icon does not carry over. App icons are still displaying correctly, only webpage shortcuts seem to be affected.

The icons were present, and displaying correctly, before this update was installed. Upon the first restart after the update, the icons were gone. Have spent over 3 hours and 3 separate chat sessions with the Microsoft Answer Desk and they were unable to
    resolve this situation. Any ideas on how to get these icons to display correctly would be appreciated.

3. BrucePyle Win User
    No more website icons pinned to Start menu after 1511 build update

Syed,

Sorry, that didn't change anything.

If I pin a website to the Start Menu using Edge, it just displays the Edge icon and not the website icon.

If I add a website to the Taskbar using Chrome, it does display the website icon in the 'Chrome Apps' folder. When I then pin that site to the Start Menu, it reverts to the Chrome browser icon.

Again, not critical, but it was very convenient to see the pinned website icons in the Start Menu before the Build 1511 upgrade.

-Bruce

BrucePyle, Apr 30, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Start Icon Display

Hello, in Win 8 syncing start menus was possible. This implies logging in with the same MS live id (email address).

However, it seems this is not possible in Win 10
    No Start Menu and App Sync for Windows 10 | Windows 10 content from SuperSite for Windows

(FWIW See Settings, Sync)

You have a number of items that wouldn't normally appear by default on your laptop's start menu- I guess you're referring to the tiles rather than the left side.

dalchina, Apr 30, 2016
  5. Edwin New Member
    The OP may be viewing the Start Menu on the Laptop at Full Screen and the PC not.

Edwin, Apr 30, 2016
  6. Tegiro Win User
    Hello dalchina,
    Thanks for your response. I have read the article you had in your reply. So App Sync was "deprecated" for Window 10.
    Too bad!
    And yes, I am referring to the "tiles" in the Start menu. Not the alphabetical listing at the left of the Start screen.
    How could I have all "tiles" displayed (or selectively displayed) similar to those I have on my laptop? Such as Task Scheduler, Resource Monitor, Disk Cleanup, Computer Management, etc, etc,.
    There must be a settings feature somewhere that would allow me to add them.

Thanks,

Tegiro, Apr 30, 2016
  7. Tegiro Win User
    Hello Edwin,

Both my desktop PC as well as my laptop have Personalization>Start>Use Start Full Screen set to OFF.
    So unfortunately that is not the answer I'm afraid.

Tegiro, Apr 30, 2016
  8. Start Icon Display

I'm not sure, but if the machines were upgraded to 10 and one machine had show admin tools, where the other did not... the upgrade might not have carried over the Start screen admin tool tiles/icons.

Is it a matter of pinning to Start Administrative Tools on one machine and not the other?

Slartybart, Apr 30, 2016
  9. Tegiro Win User
    Hi Slartybart,

Well, yes, some of those seem to be listed in the Administrative Tools, but not all of them. And I am sure I did not selectively choose any of these to be displayed as Tiles in the Start menu of my laptop.
    Some of the other tiles listed are for example: Buy Ink, Online Support, Epson NX620, Games (with a large green W?) and Office Anytime Upgrade.
    None of these are visible on my desktop PC Start screen tiles.

Tegiro, Apr 30, 2016
  10. Ok, thanks,

Rather than try to figure out the why ... I'll simply suggest that you make the Start screens look the way you want.
    Right click the pgms in All Apps that you want to appear on the Start screen and Pin to Start
    Right click the pgms on the Start screen that you do NOT want and Unpin from Start

The Buy Ink and Epson NX620 (maybe online support - hard to tell what that belongs to) 'tiles' are probably associated with a printer. Have you connected the printer to the Desktop and run Windows Update to get the drivers? Also check Printers and Devices in Control Panel - a lot of the bloatware (buy ink, check ink levels, ....) for devices is now in that area

Games W- dunno. If they were the MS Games, there is a way to install them on Win10. I don't have the link handy, another member might. If they were some other games, you'll have to look at the tile on the laptop, right click, open file location, then open the properties of the shortcut to figure out where the exe lives - then someone can help ... if it is something that can be re-installed or simply help you fix the Start screen reference.

Keep in mind that you can pin things to start by right clicking the exe or a shortcut to the exe. Navigate to the Programs or Programs (x86) folder, locate the Application, right click and ... wait for it ... and pin to Start.

Yeah, I don't know why your machines turned out differently, other than they ARE different machines and the upgrade made decisions on what it saw. Hopefully, you have enough information to make Win10 work for you.

I guess that's all I have ... good luck.

Slartybart, Apr 30, 2016
  11. Tegiro Win User
    A very logical answer to solve my problem. Thank you. It is probably what I will now do to "Sync" my two computers.
    Like you I don't know why I have two "different lists of Tiles". But perhaps it may because of the working units, i.e., Acer desktop PC computer vs Toshiba laptop and maybe during some upgrades/updates/installations they reacted differently. Who knows???
    But thanks for your help, much appreciated.

Tegiro, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Start Icon Display

1. Start Icon Display - Similar Threads - Start Icon Display

2. Icons for items recommended by the start menu are displayed incorrectly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Icons for items recommended by the start menu are displayed incorrectly: The recommended item icons in the start menu are showing errors as shown in the image. Some image files are displayed correctly, some are displayed incorrectly; document images are displayed incorrectly; some compressed files will be displayed as folder icons. But in...
  3. Icons for items recommended by the start menu are displayed incorrectly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Icons for items recommended by the start menu are displayed incorrectly: The recommended item icons in the start menu are showing errors as shown in the image. Some image files are displayed correctly, some are displayed incorrectly; document images are displayed incorrectly; some compressed files will be displayed as folder icons. But in...
  4. Icons in the start menu are not displaying properly

in Windows 10 Customization
    Icons in the start menu are not displaying properly: Hi Recently I have reinstalled the windows using fresh start by keeping all my personnel files and deleting all the applications. After the installation, I tried to install the software and I installed all of them. But after the installation, icons are usual on the...
  5. Display icon

Display icon: After a fresh installation of windows 10 know the "My PC" icon is not there in destop, how to add it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/display-icon/e00dbe6f-ce6a-411b-9e01-5947898b4936
  6. Apps on the Start menu keep displaying the download icon

Apps on the Start menu keep displaying the download icon: Hi there, Need gurus' help on this issue. 1 When mouse is hover over the tile, it says ''app is on it's way'' [IMG] 2 What it says after I click on the missing app: [IMG] 3 Setting in the Store status. It says are latest! Does not seem to have any things that I...
  7. Display Icons

Display Icons: My display icons are enlarged and I want to reduce their size but need guidance. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/display-icons/8cdad61b-cf36-456a-9bd1-668df79e08e2
  8. Start Menu icons are not displaying all of a sudden

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Start Menu icons are not displaying all of a sudden: [ATTACH] In the past 48 hours, I've noticed that any system and store app icons are not displaying in the start menu on this particular screen or when searched via the start bar. If I scroll thru the program list, the icons are there. I've tried rebuilding my icon and...
  9. Icons not Displayed in Start Menu !

Icons not Displayed in Start Menu !: The Icons are not displayed on Start Menu, When I click the Icon It opens the App perfectly and in howermouse it show the Name of the App but it doesn't display the Icon. Any Idea how to get the Icons back ? [img] 26882
  10. Lost (no display) Icons and folders in Start and in Apps list

in Windows 10 Support
    Lost (no display) Icons and folders in Start and in Apps list: I inadvertently clicked on a programme and not looking properly clicked an acceptance to change the DPI, it was this little app, Windows 10 DPI Fix, all it did was cause the problem that I have now. *Sad Windows 10 DPI Fix 2.2 Read more at: Download Windows 10 DPI Fix -...