Windows 10: Start menu, action center, etc not working most of the time

Discus and support Start menu, action center, etc not working most of the time in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I get randomly but frequently on my Windows 10 on my Dell Optiplex 780 where the start menu stops working. clicking on it does nothing, the start menu... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Ornithophilia, Jun 4, 2016.

1. Start menu, action center, etc not working most of the time

I get randomly but frequently on my Windows 10 on my Dell Optiplex 780 where the start menu stops working. clicking on it does nothing, the start menu will not open, so I attempt the action center, that will not open either. Neither will the sound (volume), or the Ethernet icon. Task View, and other pinned icons work just fine. The only way I can fix this (since I cannot shut down due to no start menu) is to force power off my PC. It works upon restart but it is only a matter of time until it stops working again. I did the usual troubleshooting that is displayed on various websites, including the one on Microsoft but the problem persists. Always fixable with a restart. But constantly restarting my computer is becoming a hassle. Any ideas?

If there is a stuck process I need to end, I have not discovered what it is yet.

:)

Ornithophilia, Jun 4, 2016

2. Start menu and action center is not working in Windows 10

This is a "long time" problem. Start menu doesn't work "critical error etc.", troubleshooting doesn't fix it, impossible to create a new user, no access to action center, etc. Will we have a fix someday ?

MarcEisinger, Jun 4, 2016
  3. Action Center, Cortana, Search Bar Problems

Hello,

Just started experiencing problems on my Surface Pro 3. The problems are:

1. Cortana and the Universal search bar stopped working. I click on it an Cortana doesn't activate and I can't type in the bar.

2. Action center: When I click on the action center it doesn't open. Actually it opens about minute after it is clicked -- huge lag time!

3. Start menu: A millisecond lag when I click on the start menu

It looks like the most recent windows update was April 14th and that update was installed.

I have also tried a "hard reset" (Power/volume).

I have noticed some threads on that involve a three of the above not working, but none that involve just Cortana and Action Center with a huge time lag.

Thanks!

MichaelCain72, Jun 4, 2016
  4. davidhk Win User

Start menu, action center, etc not working most of the time

davidhk, Jun 4, 2016
  5. KACI Win User
    This happens to me occasionally on my insider machine but I've not seen it on my main one. In any case when this happens right click on the start button. That will bring up another menu that you use to shut down and restart.

KACI, Jun 4, 2016
  6. ssands Win User
    I don't have the Start menu problem but quite often the Action Center will not activate at all. Open up Task Manager (Ctrl-Shift-Esc). Close any open explorer windows (optional). Find explorer.exe in the tasks (may be in background tasks near the bottom). Right-click and select Refresh. Then it all works fine again.
    This, to me, is confirmation that Win 10 is not ready for prime-time. It should never happen, yet it happens to many users. It has actually gotten to the point where my confidence that MS can continue is in doubt - if the quality of their flagship OS is going down, it doesn't look good for other areas of their business. (IMHO).

ssands, Jun 20, 2016
  7. CountMike New Member
    CountMike, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Start menu, action center, etc not working most of the time

1. Start menu, action center, etc not working most of the time - Similar Threads - Start menu action

2. start icon and action center not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    start icon and action center not working: What to do if the start icon and action center not working.The start icon not working so I can not get to programs or go to power menus to shut down or restart.Can not get to action center to connect Wifi...network....
  3. start icon and action center not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    start icon and action center not working: What to do if the start icon and action center not working.The start icon not working so I can not get to programs or go to power menus to shut down or restart.Can not get to action center to connect Wifi...network....
  4. start icon and action center not working

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Failed updates and lost "Start Menu" & "Action Center", etc. - Second Attempt!

Failed updates and lost "Start Menu" & "Action Center", etc. - Second Attempt!: Below is a transcript of efforts to correct the problems created by updating Windows 10. The last contact was Thursday, Aug. 6; I have heard nothing more and the problems continue. Please HELP!: On Thursday, July 31, I attempted to install three updates for Windows 10....
  6. Failed updates and lost "Start Menu" & "Action Center", etc.

Failed updates and lost "Start Menu" & "Action Center", etc.: On Thursday, July 31, I attempted to install three updates for Windows 10. Two updates installed successfully, 0xc1900101 failed. Since then my “Start Menu” and “Action Center” nor "Calendar" on the right end of the "Task Bar" will not open, the “Search”, “Cortana”, “Task...
  7. Can't access the start menu, or action center

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Can't access the start menu, or action center: I bought MS Surface Book i5 from a pawn shop. I guess they wiped it and reset it. I can't access the start menu, action center, settings menu, theres no browsers, no apps, no cortana nothing. All i can really do is get a wifi connection and open windows store. It has Win 10...
  8. windows 10 start menu, action center and most of everything on taskbar will not open

in Windows 10 Customization
    windows 10 start menu, action center and most of everything on taskbar will not open: Tried about everything in forums, did scans of everything and no errors and did all kinds of virus scans and nothing showing there either. Reg errors all fixed also. Just happened end of Jan 2019 Thank you...
  9. Start menu, action center and windows explorer take time to load up

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Start menu, action center and windows explorer take time to load up: hi, I face this problem for the past few months. Each program takes around 10+ seconds to open. Start menu takes around 4 seconds, action center takes 4 seconds and windows explorer takes more than 10 seconds to open. Same in the case of opening programs like chrome, vlc, ms...
  10. Action Center and Start Menu Continually Fail

in Windows 10 Support
    Action Center and Start Menu Continually Fail: Device: Surface Pro 4 OS: Fully Updated Windows 10 Issue: Action Center and Start Menu continually fail. Symptoms: After an unpredictable amount of time, Action Center and Start Menu will not open using multiple prompts. Action Center will not respond to taskbar link or...