Windows 10: Start Menu and ALT+TAB Dont work on PC Startup

Discus and support Start Menu and ALT+TAB Dont work on PC Startup in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hey guys, I had same issue on previous Windows 10 x64 Pro and a week ago I did fresh installed Windows 10 x64 Pro and facing same issue. Whenever I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jk22, Jan 16, 2018.

1. jk22 Win User

Start Menu and ALT+TAB Dont work on PC Startup

Hey guys,

I had same issue on previous Windows 10 x64 Pro and a week ago I did fresh installed Windows 10 x64 Pro and facing same issue. Whenever I start my laptop start button and ALT+TAB dont work and when I do LOG OFF or Restart Laptop it will work.

Edit: Moreover, I dont see folder on Desktop when I do extract from .rar/.zip or create new folder unless I do Refresh Desktop.

Anyone know how to fix for Lifetime ?

Regards.

:)

2. ig33ku Win User

Windows 10 File Explorer Windows Don't Refresh

Just used it. Works for me and fixed my non-working start menu button too and the alt-tab problem.

ig33ku, Jan 16, 2018
  3. Start Menu, Start Bar, Notifications and Alt+Tab not working

Hi all,

I have had this problem for several weeks now. I think it may have been introduced during an Update in December.

The symptoms of the issue include:

• Start menu is broken
      • Button can be hovered over (animation), but cannot be clicked or right clicked.
    • Windows Explorer is very slow to open
    • Alt + Tab does not work
    • Certain applications break
      • Including Slack, Discord and Steam. Maybe others too but these ones just will not open or are totally frozen on whatever "Frame" they have last rendered.
    • The notifications panel (bottom right next to the clock) will not open
    • The calendar will not open
    • Any settings menu that follows the Windows 10 theme will not open
      • Example "Settings" opens but sits on the blue window with the cog in the middle, never loading fully.
    To try and resolve this I have taken many steps.

Steps taken:

• Opening the command line and typing sfc /scannow
    • Creating a new Windows user copying all of my files across, deleting the old user and signing into the new user with my microsoft account.
      • As executed by Support Agent 1.
    • Repaired windows downloading the Windows 10 iso as executed by Support agents 2 and 3.
    • Ensured Windows 10 is up-to-date with the latest version.
    • Ensured all other drivers are up to date.

The issue is still persisting and at this point it's looking like I may have to format the drive and reinstall everything - not something I want to do as my internet if fairly slow for downloading all my programs, and I also use this PC for work so would
    rather not have to potentially take time out of my work schedule.

Does anyone have any suggestions that might fix this, or will Windows be patching this issue?

Thanks

AgentMilkshake1, Jan 16, 2018
  4. dalchina New Member

First try turning off fast startup and see what happens.
    The Pros and Cons of Windows 10 Mode
    - you shouldn't need it as you have a SSD.

If no joy- could this be a graphics driver problem? Perhaps try using an OLDER driver and hide the upgrade to the current version.

Put another way- how was this resolved previously?

dalchina, Jan 16, 2018
  5. jk22 Win User
    Fast Startup is already disabled. And previously it didnt fixed thatswhy I reinstalled new fresh Windows 10. This problem coming from Nov 2017 update.

6. zbook New Member
    1) open administrative command prompt and type or copy and paste:
    2) sfc /scannow
    3) dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
    4) chkdsk /scan
    5) net user test /add
    6) When these have completed > right click on the top bar or title bar of the administrative command prompt box > left click on edit then select all > right click on the top bar again > left click on edit then copy > paste into the thread
    7) shutdown /r
    8) sign on with the new user named test
    9) report into the thread whether the new user test can use the start menu or problematic keyboard keys.
    10) Open administrative powershell and copy and paste:
    Code: Get-appxpackage -all *shellexperience* -packagetype bundle |% {add-appxpackage -register -disabledevelopmentmode ($_.installlocation + “\appxmetadata\appxbundlemanifest.xml”)}[/quote] 11) Open the Lenovo website > enter the computers product or serial number or model > view drivers > post a URL or hyperlink into the thread
    12) Perform the full Lenovo diagnostic tests on the computer and post results/images into the thread using one drive or drop box share links.

zbook, Jan 16, 2018
  7. jk22 Win User
    Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.16299.192](c) 2017 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.C:\Windows\system32>sfc /scannowBeginning system scan. This process will take some time.Beginning verification phase of system scan.Verification 100% complete.Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.C:\Windows\system32>dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealthDeployment Image Servicing and Management toolVersion: 10.0.16299.15Image Version: 10.0.16299.192[==========================100.0%==========================] The restore operation completed successfully.The operation completed successfully.C:\Windows\system32>chkdsk /scanThe type of the file system is NTFS.Stage 1: Examining basic file system structure ... 198144 file records processed.File verification completed. 5358 large file records processed. 0 bad file records processed.Stage 2: Examining file name linkage ... 191 reparse records processed. 266142 index entries processed.Index verification completed. 0 unindexed files scanned. 0 unindexed files recovered to lost and found. 191 reparse records processed.Stage 3: Examining security descriptors ...Security descriptor verification completed. 34000 data files processed.CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal... 37553584 USN bytes processed.Usn Journal verification completed.Windows has scanned the file system and found no problems.No further action is required. 157392695 KB total disk space. 38113428 KB in 158445 files. 115836 KB in 34001 indexes. 0 KB in bad sectors. 307915 KB in use by the system. 65536 KB occupied by the log file. 118855516 KB available on disk. 4096 bytes in each allocation unit. 39348173 total allocation units on disk. 29713879 allocation units available on disk.C:\Windows\system32>net user test /addC:\Windows\system32>

8. jk22 Win User

Same result and on Lenovo website I cant my Laptop Model.

Current Model is T400 and I think they deleted from the drivers and downloads.

9. zbook New Member
    So there was no change with the new user named test and there was no change re-registering the start menu?

Please update the computer specs in the "My Computer" section:

System Specs - Fill in at Ten Forums:
    System Specs - Fill in at Ten Forums Site Use Tutorials
    In the left corner below in your post you find 'My System Specs'.
    After clicking it you can find a link a little below that says 'Update your System Spec', click on this link to get to the page where you can fill in your system specs.
    System Info - See Your System Specs - Windows 7 Help Forums

Include PSU. cooler, case, peripherals and anything attached to the computer by wired or wireless (mouse, keyboard, headset, printer, xbox, etc.)

zbook, Jan 16, 2018
  10. jk22 Win User
    Done.

11. Uninstall third-party antivirus and firewall programs to find out issue resolves.

Reinstalled Cortana using the following procedure:

1. Open an elevated PowerShell window, press Win + X keys to open PowerShell.

2. Execute following commands one at time.

Code: Get-Process SearchUI | Stop-Process –Force Get-AppXPackage -Name Microsoft.Windows.Cortana | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}[/quote] 3. Restart your computer.

FreeBooter, Jan 16, 2018
  12. zbook New Member
    zbook, Jan 16, 2018
  13. jk22 Win User

14. You can try to run the Windows 10 Start Menu Troubleshooter from Microsoft.
    If the problem still remains, then you open an elevated PowerShell window.Type the following and press Enter:

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

fisrtme2212, Jan 17, 2018
  15. jk22 Win User
    Same issue coming again!

Thema:

1. Start Menu and ALT+TAB Dont work on PC Startup - Similar Threads - Start Menu ALT+TAB

2. Alt Tab is not working.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Alt Tab is not working.: I've been trying to use alt tab to switch specific screens, but instead, the screen just highlights different aspects of the web browser or program I'm using at the moment. I've already. I've already updated to the latest version of Windows. I've restarted my pc, unplugged...
  3. Alt Tab is not working.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Alt Tab is not working.: I've been trying to use alt tab to switch specific screens, but instead, the screen just highlights different aspects of the web browser or program I'm using at the moment. I've already. I've already updated to the latest version of Windows. I've restarted my pc, unplugged...
  4. ALT + TAB Not Working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    ALT + TAB Not Working: Oddělit od tohoto vlákna. Having the same problem on my notebook. Windows pop-up not working and alt+tab not working also. Does not work on my notebook keyboard and on connected keyboard as well...Tried all methods here and none helped....
  5. Cortana in alt-tab menu

in Cortana
    Cortana in alt-tab menu: I like using Cortana but when press alt-tab I see Cortana there. I do not want to see Cortana window in the alt-tab menu. How do I do that? -I use Windows 10 Pro 2004 Version...
  6. My fingerprint and start menu dont work

in Windows 10 Customization
    My fingerprint and start menu dont work: Hello, It is about a week that my start menu does not pop up and I have done all suggestions that I saw herehttps://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/start-button-not-working/248c0da6-8efb-4f67-acca-3b9409f08368.Also, my when I am logging in using my finger...
  7. alt tab not working

in Windows 10 Customization
    alt tab not working: When i try to alt tab it doesnt work, and i hear a beep after i press it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/alt-tab-not-working/64c4fba0-5b02-4247-a380-85dbfd891888
  8. Alt-Tab Not Working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Alt-Tab Not Working: Hello, I am using windows 10. Till now the Alt-Tab Feature of windows was working fine but today suddenly it stopped working. I Searched and found out that adding a registry would work so I opened registry editor and added a registry named AltTabSettings with value 1 in...
  9. Alt-Tab out of games my Start menu stops working?

in Windows 10 Support
    Alt-Tab out of games my Start menu stops working?: Hello when ever I Alt-tab out of a full screen game my start menu stops working? Anyone else have this? 26309
  10. searching on windows start menu dont work

in Windows 10 Support
    searching on windows start menu dont work: searching using windows start menu doesnt show searches when you type to get something on your computer.. but when i tryped in say "steelseries" to get the steelseries engine, and pressed enter, since i couldnt use mouse click on it cause it didnt show anything, it started...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 alt tab menu do not refresh