Windows 10: Start Menu and Cortana Not Opening - Windows 10

Discus and support Start Menu and Cortana Not Opening - Windows 10 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; My start menu will not work in Windows 10. Cortana/Search also doesn't work. When I click it, it does nothing. If I right click on my search bar, I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by rondo341, Aug 15, 2015.

1. rondo341 Win User

Start Menu and Cortana Not Opening - Windows 10

My start menu will not work in Windows 10.
    • Cortana/Search also doesn't work. When I click it, it does nothing.
    • If I right click on my search bar, I see a bunch of options like "Disk Management" and "Control Panel." These are clickable, except for "Search," which does nothing when I click on it.
    • My taskbar works, sort of. I can click on my pins (Google Chrome, etc), but if I right click them, no options come up.
    • Clicking on my volume, calendar, clock or all of those options does not work, either. If I right click them, each of their options pop up.

Anybody have any idea on how to fix this?

Thanks. *Biggrin

:)

rondo341, Aug 15, 2015
  2. Gerry C J Cornell, Aug 15, 2015
  3. Gerry C J Cornell, Aug 15, 2015
  4. Start Menu and Cortana Not Opening - Windows 10

IME, Start Menu/Taskbar not working is caused by user profile corruption. I suggest creating a new user, sign in, and see if the Start Menu is working for the new users. This will confirm whether your original profile is corrupted.

claytoncarney, Aug 15, 2015
  5. rondo341 Win User
    I also cannot create a new profile or sign in with my Microsoft account instead. These options do absolutely nothing when pressed. The blue loading circle comes up, but nothing ever opens...

rondo341, Aug 16, 2015
  6. Actually I never use MS accounts. I was referring to a local user account. From an Administrator Command Prompt you execute a command like 'net users username password /add' (password is optional). Then you can sign in and see if the Start Menu works.

claytoncarney, Aug 16, 2015
  7. rondo341 Win User
    Okay, I created a new account. However, when I tried to login, I got a blue screen with this message:

"The User Profile Service failed the sign-in. User profile cannot be loaded."

So I can't even login to see if it would work on another account.

rondo341, Aug 16, 2015
  8. Start Menu and Cortana Not Opening - Windows 10

OK, Plan B. If you can still access an Administrator Command Prompt, try a couple hail marys:
    • Execute 'sfc /scannow'. This will check for system file corruption.
    • Execute 'dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth'. This will attempt to repair image corruption.

claytoncarney, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Start Menu and Cortana Not Opening - Windows 10

1. Start Menu and Cortana Not Opening - Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Start Menu Cortana

2. Start menu, cortana and app store will not open

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start menu, cortana and app store will not open: My Windows key and the windows logo on my screen will not open the start menu. If I right click on the Windows log I get that menu with settings etc but not the list of Apps when I left click. Also if I select Cortana it starts to open I get a blank box with Cortana at the...
  3. Start menu, cortana and app store will not open

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start menu, cortana and app store will not open: My Windows key and the windows logo on my screen will not open the start menu. If I right click on the Windows log I get that menu with settings etc but not the list of Apps when I left click. Also if I select Cortana it starts to open I get a blank box with Cortana at the...
  4. Start menu, cortana and app store will not open

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. start menu and cortana

in Cortana
    start menu and cortana: start menu and cortana do not work https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/start-menu-and-cortana/af6eb818-795d-4653-9bb3-28c3706de982
  6. Windows 10 Start Menu and Cortana Not Working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 Start Menu and Cortana Not Working: When I select the Start Menu, the menu does not appear. Same with using the Windows button on keyboard. I cannot access the Start Menu. How do I correct this? Thank you....
  7. Can’t open browser, cortana or start menu

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Can’t open browser, cortana or start menu: I factory reset my MSI GL62M 7RDX laptop to sell it but I can’t open Internet Explorer, Cortana or the start menu. When I click Cortana or the start menu, the blue circle appears next to my cursor for about 2 or 3 seconds but nothing happens. When I try to open the browser,...
  8. Cortana Win 10 start menu shortcut opens Store, Updates

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cortana Win 10 start menu shortcut opens Store, Updates: Hi, 1. Win S launches Cortana. 2. A desktop shortcut to Cortana works. 3. The start menu Cortana shortcut launches Store (it was working at some point..) Win 10 is now running... well, actually quite smoothly- as far as I know, this is the only oddity (until I turn...
  9. No Start Menu? No Cortana?

in Windows 10 Support
    No Start Menu? No Cortana?: Everything was working ABSOLUTELY AWESOMELY with build 10041. As of 7:00 p.m. central time 3/22/2014. Now, I log into my computer this morning and nothing Start is just not working. I can't get into settings (any way that I know) to revert back. Can someone please assist in...
  10. Problems with Windows Start Menu/Cortana

in Windows 10 Support
    Problems with Windows Start Menu/Cortana: I had many problems with the Windows Start Menu and Cortana not working at all 3 days ago and I have resorted to Resetting my PC after many attempts of trying to fix the problem by following google and youtube guides. Everything was working fine for 2 days until now at 1am...