Windows 10: Start Menu and Cortana Problems again!!!!

Discus and support Start Menu and Cortana Problems again!!!! in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hello Again Guys, I love Windows 10 but for me it's been the most unreliable O/S I've used and I go back to Windows 95 days. Microsoft took away the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by tonymarcus, Nov 18, 2015.

1. Start Menu and Cortana Problems again!!!!

Hello Again Guys,

I love Windows 10 but for me it's been the most unreliable O/S I've used and I go back to Windows 95 days. Microsoft took away the start menu we all loved in Windows 8, after 2 years we finally get it back but boy is it buggy.

Basically I have had start menu problems in the past but to cut a long story short I restored my PC back to a weekly image I do with True Image and the problem did not return, I installed Threshold 2 last Saturday and my PC ran fine, I used it last night without changing anything or getting any problems but I switched it on today and the first thing I notice is that some of the icons in the system tray which I set to be shown were hidden, I corrected that straight away.

Then I clicked on my windows icon to access the start menu and it's now not showing also Cortana does not work, apart from that the PC is normal. I can open the Calculator and Edge modern apps as I have the shortcuts on the desktop.

I have run SFC/ SCANNOW in safe mode and in normal mode and it tells me I have errors but they can not be fixed.

I'm so fed up with it now, unless I can find a fix I'm just going to live with it, I can access my start menu folders from file explorer and most of my most used programs have short cuts on the desktop.

Anyone else having similar problems and know of a fix?

Thanks

Tony

:)

tonymarcus, Nov 18, 2015
  2. Dennis Mop, Nov 18, 2015
  3. Romel Ram Win User
    WHAT IS THE PROPER WAY TO RESET CORTANA IN WIN 10 - VER: 1703?

Hi,

There is a possibility that there is a problem with Cortana feature. To properly isolate your issue with Cortana, we recommend checking the article below:

Troubleshoot problems opening the Start menu or Cortana

Feel free to post again if you have other concerns.

Romel Ram, Nov 18, 2015
  4. jds63 Win User

Start Menu and Cortana Problems again!!!!

Just to mention from the beginning Start menu in Windows 10 is better then Windows 8 which might be confusing with Windows 7 which is start menu most liked.

Did you try running this at Admin Command Prompt, copy and paste it in then press enter, let it finish
    Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Same command prompt run sfc again
    sfc /scannow

reboot after, let us know what happens from the commands.

jds63, Nov 18, 2015
  5. Ok I will try that thank you. Just an update I opened another account on this PC and the start menu and Cortana work on the other account so it's the dreading account corruption which I have been reading about, last time I had a similar problem nothing would fix it, not even an inplace reinstall the only way I could get it back was to roll the pc back a week.

I difference between last time and this time was last time opening any settings menu or file explorer would take ages.

Thanks

Tony

tonymarcus, Nov 18, 2015
  6. jds63 Win User
    Slow PC is another can be related to other causes or issues. User Account reasons i am not familiar why this would solve it.
    Were you updated to the new build 10586 yet ? Was through windows update.

jds63, Nov 18, 2015
  7. Yes I updated to 10586.3 via windows update, all was ok from Saturday to today :-(

tonymarcus, Nov 18, 2015
  8. jds63 Win User

Try command prompt commands and first see how it goes under that account.

jds63, Nov 18, 2015
  9. Yep just doing that now

tonymarcus, Nov 18, 2015
  10. jds63 Win User
    Alright let me know outcome and if get any errors from the DISM command as SFC did not fix files.

jds63, Nov 18, 2015
  11. The DISM ends with the following errors:-

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.10586]
    (c) 2016 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
    C:\WINDOWS\system32>sfc /scannow
    Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.
    Beginning verification phase of system scan.
    Verification 100% complete.
    Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some
    of them. Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For
    example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. Note that logging is currently not
    supported in offline servicing scenarios.
    C:\WINDOWS\system32>Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
    Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
    Version: 10.0.10586.0
    Image Version: 10.0.10586.0
    [==========================100.0%==========================]
    Error: 0x800f081f
    The source files could not be found.
    Use the "Source" option to specify the location of the files that are required t
    o restore the feature. For more information on specifying a source location, see
    Configure a Windows Repair Source.
    The DISM log file can be found at C:\WINDOWS\Logs\DISM\dism.log
    C:\WINDOWS\system32>

tonymarcus, Nov 18, 2015
  12. jds63 Win User
    I had same problem after doing a clean install of the new build 10586.3.
    Suggest you download the correct ISO here http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/techbench

After the download completes, right click the ISO and select Mount. In explorer whatever the drive number of the mounted ISO is use this command in Admin Command Prompt change the X to the mounted drive letter.

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /source:WIM:X:\Sources\Install.wim:1 /LimitAccess

If this is successful rerun this command at same open prompt

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Then same command prompt run sfc again
    sfc /scannow

Can reboot after, but let us know if can not fix remains.

jds63, Nov 18, 2015
  13. Start Menu and Cortana Problems again!!!!

I'm download the ISO now, I have a windows 8 ISO file but when I right click there's no option to mount, what software would I need to mount it or could I just burn ISO to DVD, I take it the link you provided will give me a install DVD with Windows 10 build 10586 which I could use for a clean install in the future.

Thanks for your help

tonymarcus, Nov 18, 2015
  14. I've done as you suggested and all went through successfully. Just going to reboot.

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.10586]
    (c) 2016 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
    C:\WINDOWS\system32>DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /source:WIM:F:\So
    urces\Install.wim:1 /LimitAccess
    The restore operation completed successfully.
    The operation completed successfully.
    C:\WINDOWS\system32>Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
    The restore operation completed successfully.
    The operation completed successfully.
    C:\WINDOWS\system32>sfc /scannow
    Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.
    Beginning verification phase of system scan.
    Verification 100% complete.
    Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired
    them. Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For
    example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. Note that logging is currently not
    supported in offline servicing scenarios.
    C:\WINDOWS\system32>^A

tonymarcus, Nov 18, 2015
  15. jds63 Win User
    Looks good, it fixed it. Done from ISO i told you to download ? Yes, you can use this for future clean install, also good to have this ISO, can burn to disc or create bootable USB Flash Drive.

jds63, Nov 18, 2015
Thema:

1. Start Menu and Cortana Problems again!!!! - Similar Threads - Start Menu Cortana

2. Start menu and Cortana not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start menu and Cortana not working: Hi, I uninstalled a quality update of windows 11 because my computer has been freezing several times and after I uninstalled, my computer went well for only a few minutes before it freezed again. My cursor was the only thing that can move while my PC frozed. It showed me a...
  3. Start menu and Cortana not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start menu and Cortana not working: Hi, I uninstalled a quality update of windows 11 because my computer has been freezing several times and after I uninstalled, my computer went well for only a few minutes before it freezed again. My cursor was the only thing that can move while my PC frozed. It showed me a...
  4. start menu and cortana

in Cortana
    start menu and cortana: start menu and cortana do not work https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/start-menu-and-cortana/af6eb818-795d-4653-9bb3-28c3706de982
  5. Start Menu and Cortana Not Working

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start Menu and Cortana Not Working: So for the past couple of months I've been dealing with this issue. I managed to fix a couple of other issues with my computer, mainly wifi driver issues but I still can't open up my start menu or cortana. Another Issue I have are daily blue screens from driver failure fslx....
  6. start menu is not working and cortana

in Windows 10 Support
    start menu is not working and cortana: suddenly my start menu and cortana is not working please help fast 33252
  7. Cortana and Start Menu Not Working

in Windows 10 Support
    Cortana and Start Menu Not Working: After the most recent Windows Update, the Start Menu and Cortana stopped working. You can't type in the search bar and can't click on anything in the Start Menu. This is Windows 10 on a Dell XPS that was originally Windows 7. I tried a bunch of things and when I did a sfc...
  8. No Start Menu? No Cortana?

in Windows 10 Support
    No Start Menu? No Cortana?: Everything was working ABSOLUTELY AWESOMELY with build 10041. As of 7:00 p.m. central time 3/22/2014. Now, I log into my computer this morning and nothing Start is just not working. I can't get into settings (any way that I know) to revert back. Can someone please assist in...
  9. Problems with Windows Start Menu/Cortana

in Windows 10 Support
    Problems with Windows Start Menu/Cortana: I had many problems with the Windows Start Menu and Cortana not working at all 3 days ago and I have resorted to Resetting my PC after many attempts of trying to fix the problem by following google and youtube guides. Everything was working fine for 2 days until now at 1am...
  10. Start Menu Issues (Again!)

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu Issues (Again!): So, I upgraded to creators update on my office computer, for which I am an administrator. It's a domain connected computer, with folder redirection and a roaming profile. I use Fences from Stardock on my desktop. I have no AV connected. After the update, I noticed that...