Windows 10: Start Menu and seach window will not respond

Discus and support Start Menu and seach window will not respond in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I upgraded to 10 Home yesterday and everything seemed to work fine. Today after deleting several files from my photos the system hung and I had to do a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jlo, Jul 30, 2015.

1. JLO
    jlo Win User

Start Menu and seach window will not respond

I upgraded to 10 Home yesterday and everything seemed to work fine. Today after deleting several files from my photos the system hung and I had to do a power off reboot. After that the start menu wont come up and the search window won't accept any text. Right click on the start menu does respond and seems to work properly. I also did a sys. file chk., it said that some files were corupted and not repairable.

:)

2. start up menu will not come up and search window doesn't work in windows 10

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

I understand your concerned. Let me help you to fix the issue.

Let’s try simple troubleshooting steps and check if this helps in resolving the issue. I suggest you to run SFC scan. System File Checker is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted
    files and DISM to fix things SFC cannot. Follow the below link on how to run SFC scan.

System file check (SFC) Scan and Repair System Files & DISM to fix things SFC cannot

You can also visit the below link for more information.

“Critical Error – Start menu and Cortana aren’t working. We’ll try to fix it the next time you sign in.”

“Critical Error – Start menu and Cortana aren’t working. We’ll try to fix it the next time you sign in.”

Hope it helps. Please let us know the result.

Billion Debbarma, Jul 30, 2015
  3. cllohman Win User
    start up menu will not come up and search window doesn't work in windows 10

Was working on my laptop, noticed the battery was low and plugged in. Instantly my laptop shut down. I rebooted and now the start menu will not open as well as the key on the laptop and I can't type in the search bar. I have rebooted my laptop twice.
    I can right click on the icon and open an existing file to access Word. Really need to get this fixed. Any suggestions that don't require me to type something in the search bar?

cllohman, Jul 30, 2015
  4. Start Menu and seach window will not respond

I had the same problem awhile back with Preview. Since it wasn't my main system, I used another administrator account to delete the affected account. I then went back in and recreated it.

Of course, I didn't have any of the installed programs, but everything worked fine. Since I was using a Microsoft Account, it got my name and all my preference back.

Of course, I didn't check my files so you may have another underlying problem. But if you aren't on your main production system and don't mind relinking all your software, it may work for you.

OldGuyGeek, Jul 30, 2015
  5. JLO
    jlo Win User
    Thanks, but it is my only sys. so that isn't really an option.

Thema:

Start Menu and seach window will not respond

1. Start Menu and seach window will not respond - Similar Threads - Start Menu seach

2. not responding start menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    not responding start menu: My start menu is not quite working properly. It will open couple of seconds when I click it and it will freeze. When I click on the apps it will also take some time to respond and sometimes I need to close the apps in the task manager and do it again...
  3. not responding start menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    not responding start menu: My start menu is not quite working properly. It will open couple of seconds when I click it and it will freeze. When I click on the apps it will also take some time to respond and sometimes I need to close the apps in the task manager and do it again...
  4. not responding start menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Seach Application Stopped responding and was closed

in Cortana
    Seach Application Stopped responding and was closed: Hello everyone,The past 4 days Search Application has been stopping and restarting for no reason. SourceSearch applicationSummaryStopped responding and was closedDate‎21/‎08/‎2022 23:07StatusReport sentDescriptionA problem caused this program to stop interacting with...
  6. Seach Application Stopped responding and was closed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Seach Application Stopped responding and was closed: Hello everyone,The past 4 days Search Application has been stopping and restarting for no reason. SourceSearch applicationSummaryStopped responding and was closedDate‎21/‎08/‎2022 23:07StatusReport sentDescriptionA problem caused this program to stop interacting with...
  7. Seach Application Stopped responding and was closed

8. Start menu not responding

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start menu not responding: Whenever I open the start menu, it works for a few seconds (but can't open any applications) and stops responding and finally closes automatically. The start menu can no longer be used to open any applications. The search bar, if not opened with the start menu opened, works...
  9. Programs Won't Open in Seach/Start Menu

Programs Won't Open in Seach/Start Menu: Ran into a small problem after upgrading to the Anniversary Update. The update fixed a lot of my problems after I did a clean install so that was very good. I just have one small issue but after that's fixed I should be perfect. The only problem I'm having now is when I...
  10. Programs Won't Open in Seach/Start Menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Programs Won't Open in Seach/Start Menu: Ran into a small problem after upgrading to the Anniversary Update. The update fixed a lot of my problems (listed below) after I did a clean install so that was very good. I just have one small issue but after that's fixed I should be perfect. The only problem I'm having...