Windows 10: Start Menu and taskbar Not working in fall creators update

Discus and support Start Menu and taskbar Not working in fall creators update in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have seen many people with same problem even with 3 times clean install of Windows 10 fall creators update . Any one with same problem ? 96575 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by yafatana, Oct 26, 2017.

1. yafatana Win User

Start Menu and taskbar Not working in fall creators update

I have seen many people with same problem even with 3 times clean install of Windows 10 fall creators update . Any one with same problem ?

:)

yafatana, Oct 26, 2017
  2. yafyofa Win User

Start Menu and Taskbar Not working in Fall Creators Update

I saw many people with Same proplem

I did 3 times windows 10 fall creators update clean Instal

and the Start Menu and Taskbar are Not working

when I click nothing happen

windows 10 64 bit fall creators update

i7 6700k

gigabyte z170x gaming 5

sapphire r9 390 NITRO

latest AMD beta Drivers

yafyofa, Oct 26, 2017
  3. Start Menu and Taskbar Not working in Fall Creators Update

hi I don't know if this will help anybody

my support people reinstalled windows 10 3 times and it still didn't work

the pc would work in their office but not at home

the solution till Microsoft sort it out was that I had two external HDD connecting through usb3 when I unplugged the drives the pc worked fine when I plug them back in the taskbar and start button stop working

go figure

tony lloyd, Oct 26, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

dalchina, Oct 26, 2017
  5. yafatana Win User
    yafatana, Oct 26, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    So? That does not mean the same AV or version will not have problems after a major upgrade. I believe that is discussed in that thread.

The problem is that major changes MS make where parts of the OS are written can introduce compatibility problems- users then have to report these- if enough fuss reaches MS, they then make a change in a major update released subsequently.

That's why my policy is not to upgrade, but to wait.

dalchina, Oct 26, 2017
  7. yafatana Win User
    thanks
    but look here The Start menu is not working after upgrading to Windows 10 Fall - Microsoft Community

I don't think all of these people who are having this proplem have bitdefender installed right ?

yafatana, Oct 26, 2017
  8. dalchina New Member

But I didn't suggest that was a definitive cause, merely one some had observed.

That suggests you could check your AV isn't interfering, assuming you have one installed.

I simply recalled a thread that might be helpful to you. If you have a look around, there are one or two more on this topic.

Could be a conflict with some 3rd party program as that thread suggests- try, as that thread suggests, Safe Mode.

And it could just be a bug in the build. There are some!

dalchina, Oct 26, 2017
  9. Kari Win User
    This has fixed the same issue for me countless times. Write down the instructions before proceeding, when you have booted to Command Prompt you cannot use Internet and browse forums to read this post:

Boot to Advanced Startup Options, select Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > Command Prompt (see tutorial: Boot to Advanced Startup Options in Windows 10).

When in Command Prompt, enter following command to remove Hidden and System attributes from UsrClass.dat file and possible log files it has created:

attrib -h -s C:\Users\Your_Username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass*.*

When done, delete the files with following command:

del /f C:\Users\Your_Username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass*.*

Restart Windows with following command:

c:\Windows\System32\shutdown -r -t 0 -f

New UsrClass.dat will be created and Start, search (Cortana) and Taskbar should work again. Notice that some Edge settings will also be reset like color theme is reset to light and home page to default. Saved passwords and cookies will not be reset.

10. I had and may still have the same issue. I had a PC that encountered the same problem but only after a restart or if I had fast startup turned off after a shut down.

I just recently bought a new PC that came installed with the CU. The first time it tried to update to FCU it failed. The second time it was successful. I had no issue with it at all.

Last night during a series of shutdowns and restarts that I was performing myself to do a stress test on the OS I only incountered the start menu/task bar issue once.

I’m honestly trying to decide if I should go back to the CU and defer the FCU before I continue setting up my PC.

Also I’ve never had bitdefender installed. I think this is an MS issue.

LinkinForcer, Oct 26, 2017
  11. dalchina New Member
    Of course you could just use a start menu that actually works... reliably.. and better than Win 10's - Classic Shell (free).

No doubt MS will respond if appropriate... eventually- if enough people express the same difficulty.

dalchina, Oct 26, 2017
  12. DTG1 Win User
    I ran into the start menu not working suddenly in the past couple days. It has worked for weeks after I had disabled Cortana and the taskbar has worked flawlessly the entire time.

After "letting" Cortana to work again, the Start menu will open but still not work like everything is grey'd out. So im guessing this is related to a service thats not starting or working right. So which ones are required for the start menu to run properly?

EDIT: After re-enabling Cortana(folder rename method) the Start menu did start work again. So there needs to be workaround for this. this is ridiculous, I dont use the search function and I dont want microsoft collecting my data (i dont care what excuse they use). *092

13. FerchogtX Win User

Some people suggests that ShellExperienceHost.exe is making Start Menu unresponsive if it suspends... now, it's supposed it SHOULD suspend and be running only if you click on the start menu, but seems that probably this process is not "waking up" properly if you try to acess the Start Menu...

have anyone tried to monitor that to confirm if the bug comes from there? I could help, but I?m on CU, and no plans to upgrade until graphics stuff and start menu work again XD.

FerchogtX, Oct 29, 2017
  14. Crikey,...I 've just had the 'Start' menu not working,..totally unresponsive. Same for Cortana as well. I updated (Clean Install) to FCU last week and have the latest Cumulative update. It's been working flawlessly for the past seven days. This morning though, I encountered the unresponsive problems described in this thread when I powered up the PC.

I restarted the PC and thankfully it's all back to normal but this is worrying. I Googled this and it seems a lot of people out there are having this problem.

How can this be a random event in my case after seven days of working flawlessly?

Runnerbean, Nov 4, 2017
  15. Happened again this morning. Seems to happen every time I start the PC from a Cold Boot. The Start menu, Cortana is unresponsive. Only a forced Restart makes everything work again. I'm on FCU (1709) with latest Cumulative Update.

This is what I see in in Reliability History.

Description

A problem caused this program to stop interacting with Windows.
    Faulting Application Path:
    C:\Windows\SystemApps\ShellExperienceHost_cw5n1h2txyewy\ShellExperienceHost.exe

Problem signature

Problem Event Name: MoAppHang
    Package Full Name: Microsoft.Windows.ShellExperienceHost_10.0.16299.15_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy
    Application Name: praid:App
    Application Version: 10.0.16299.15
    Application Timestamp: 59cda974
    Hang Signature: ab9b
    Hang Type: 2097152
    OS Version: 10.0.16299.2.0.0.768.101
    Locale ID: 2057
    Additional Hang Signature 1: ab9b89468e42e86e068aa614329a60d9
    Additional Hang Signature 2: 867a
    Additional Hang Signature 3: 867abc74960808a8cd9bd52b020fc8f3
    Additional Hang Signature 4: ab9b
    Additional Hang Signature 5: ab9b89468e42e86e068aa614329a60d9
    Additional Hang Signature 6: 867a
    Additional Hang Signature 7: 867abc74960808a8cd9bd52b020fc8f3
    Extra information about the problem
    Bucket ID: 43a00c1b815b0614b2b86bc70e701302 (133556577791)

Runnerbean, Nov 5, 2017
Thema:

1. Start Menu and taskbar Not working in fall creators update - Similar Threads - Start Menu taskbar

2. Fall creators update.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Fall creators update.: How do i stop or block this virus you call the fall creators update, 3 times this year it's uploaded itself onto my computer and every time i've had to revert to the previous build. Each time it installs itself i loose 3-4 hours of work time because i can't use my computer,...
  3. Sandboxie and Fall Creators Update

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Sandboxie and Fall Creators Update: I don't know how many Sandboxie users we have here but there's got to be a few. If you are, and have upgraded W10 to FCU, you should install beta 5.21.6. It was released today. Sandboxie doesn't officially support FCU yet, but based on my personal case use, the beta is...
  4. Falls Creators Update 1709 Bug in Start Items

in Windows 10 Support
    Falls Creators Update 1709 Bug in Start Items: This got to be a bug in version 1709 because despite installing all updates and rebooting many times, after I Unpin From Start from the items from the Start Menu Items list, they reappear after I start up again. Microsoft again, messed up big time on this... See...
  5. Upgrade to Fall Creator affects Start menu

Upgrade to Fall Creator affects Start menu: I did the Fall Creator update and found that my Start Menu and Tiles did no longer contain my apps. Regular programs, Office, Edge, etc. show up as they should but apps like facebook, MyRadar, Solitaire(s), etc. do not. The apps are still on the computer and can be accessed...
  6. windows 10 fall creators update start menu button

in Windows 10 Support
    windows 10 fall creators update start menu button: hi, sorry if this has been asked before, I seem to have a problem at times with the start menu button(left hand corner) does not always work, any help please? thank you, *Smile 95889
  7. Fall Creators Update

in Windows 10 Support
    Fall Creators Update: Has anyone installed it yet? If so did it break anything for you? Debating If I should update or not. 95662
  8. fall creator update

fall creator update: Is there a general chart which might give info on when i would get fcu. I went from 7 to 10 just a couple weeks before free 10 stopped. 97324
  9. Fall Creators Update

Fall Creators Update: I just bit the bullet and went to Microsoft site and tried to install it. It hung up stuck on 24% and stayed there for an hour so I pulled the plug and it has gone back to the previous version. Now what? 99881
  10. Fall Creators Update

in Windows 10 Support
    Fall Creators Update: I work for a company that has about 200 desktop and laptop running Windows 10 (most are HP's)on our own domain and after the fall creators update, we have experienced Unauthenticated network messages as well as download issues in all browsers (Edge, IE 11, Chrome, Firefox)....