Windows 10: Start menu and taskbar options just flash briefly when clicked

Discus and support Start menu and taskbar options just flash briefly when clicked in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Following a recent automatic Winows 10 update, my start menu and task bar items have been behaving strangely, preventing me from being able to perform... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by drhansenjr, Nov 2, 2016.

1. Start menu and taskbar options just flash briefly when clicked

Following a recent automatic Winows 10 update, my start menu and task bar items have been behaving strangely, preventing me from being able to perform several critical operations. For example:
    1) When I click the power icon in the start menu, the sleep/hibernate/restart/shutdown option list pops up for a fraction of a second, then disappears.
    2) The same thing happens when I click on the wireless network icon after clicking the hidden icons icon on the taskbar. The list of available networks flashes briefly, then disappears, preventing me from selecting new wireless networks.
    3) I find that I must click on start menu tile items multiple times before they ultimately "take" and launch the associated application.

I have tried a number of different solutions I have found online, including rolling back recent updates, without success.

Does anyone know of a solution to this problem that will WORK?

Thanks.

:)

drhansenjr, Nov 2, 2016

2. Start Menu and Edge would just blink when clicked.

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft Community. Your interest in Windows 10 is much appreciated.

Method 1: Run the SFC.

Follow the below steps:

• Open Command Prompt.
    • Select “Run as Administrator”.
    • Type “sfc /scannow” without quotes and hit
      Enter.
    Now check for the issue.

Method 2: Try repairing the store and check if it helps:

1. Press WinKEY + X or put the mouse in the lower left corner

2. Open the Command Prompt (Run as Administrator)

3. Type in WSReset.exe and hit
    enter.

4. Type the following in a Command Window (CMD) to re-register the Store App:

powershell -ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $Env:SystemRoot\WinStore\AppxManifest.XML

If the above method doesn’t fix the issue perform Method 3.

Method 3:

Follow the below steps:

•Open Powershell as administrator

•Run the command

Get-appxprovisionedpackage –online | where-object {$_.packagename –like “*windowscommunicationsapps*”} | remove-appxprovisionedpackage –online

For Edge try the below methods:

Method 1:

I suggest you clear the Clear browsing data option
    of Microsoft Edge and check if you face the issue. To do so perform the steps below.

• Click on the More actions icon next to the feedback icon present on top right corner of the Edge.
    • Select Settings and click on
      Choose what to clear.
    • Check the boxes Browsing history, Cookies and saved website data and Cached data and files
      and click on Clear.
    Method 2:

If you are using any Proxy connection, then try disabling the proxy connection and check.

Follow the steps to disable proxy:

• Click the Settings icon at the top right corner in internet explorer.
    • Click the Tools button, and then click
      Internet Options.
    • Click the Connections tab, and then click
      LAN settings.
    • Uncheck the box next to “proxy server for your LAN”.
    • Click on OK to save the setting and close window.
    Now check the issue by opening Edge.

Keep us posted if you face any issues on windows in future. We will be glad to help you.

Annu Singh, Nov 2, 2016
  3. Start Menu and Edge would just blink when clicked.

Completed installing Free Windows 10 upgrade from Win 7. Everything worked smoothly until I started working with some some software like Chromecast and Real Player. Anyway when I clicked the Edge icon to go to the internet, it won't come out-just flash
    a little. So I tried to click on the START menu and it to would not come out-together with the Apps store too. I can still go to the internet with Chrome and Explorer. How can I get the START, EDGE, to work again? This just happened about a couple of hours
    after they were working fine.

CIZARCANLAS, Nov 2, 2016
  4. Start menu and taskbar options just flash briefly when clicked

drhansenjr,

Welcome to the forum!

If you tried several options and still no-go, there is also the option of creating a new user account and see if you can remedy the issues.

Please check the following Tutorial, and see if Option #3 fits your needs:
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5...dows-10-a.html

cottonball, Nov 3, 2016
  5. Tried it and it did not resolve my problem. Not only to the start menu and taskbar icons continue to only momentarily flash their sub-option popup menus, but my start menu contained none of the tiles from my original account and only a fraction of my many desktop shortcuts are present.

Any other ideas?

drhansenjr, Nov 3, 2016
  6. pjw260570 Win User
    I had an automatic update in Nov and I am now having the same issue. I have tried several methods to restore the taskbar functionality but nothing has worked. Have you found a solution yet?

pjw260570, Nov 30, 2016
  7. Let's give the following a whirl...

You may have applications that install incompatible shell extensions into the Windows right-click context menu.

Please download NirSoft's ShellXview:
    ShellExView - Shell Extension Manager For Windows
    (Go to the bottom of the page and look under Feedback for the download link.)

Once at the ShellExView console, to disable a shell extension, select the desired item, and from the File menu select the appropriate option: Disable Selected Items

Next, disable all the non-Microsoft extensions.

Once done, restart Windows Explorer:
    explorer.exe Process - Restart in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

Now, see if the start context menu works.

If it does, re-enable the disabled extensions one by one, and see which one is the causing the problem. Or, you can leave the non-Microsoft extensions disabled, and when you come across a program that needs an extension, then enable it.

cottonball, Dec 3, 2016
  8. SRSnure Win User

Start menu and taskbar options just flash briefly when clicked

I have the exact problem detailed above. I have tried the suggested solution using ShellXView, but recommended process did not identify the issue. Has anyone found a solution to this issue?

SRSnure, Sep 11, 2017
  9. Exactly the same problem on an Acer Travelmate 6293 running Windows 10 32 bits
    1) When I click the power icon in the start menu, the sleep/hibernate/restart/shutdown option list pops up for a fraction of a second, then disappears.
    2) The same thing happens when I click on the wireless network icon.The list of available networks flashes briefly, then disappears.
    3) Same with the notification icon: the notifications window flashes briefly then closes.
    The last built of Win 10 witch is functioning is the 14393.
    Has anyone found a solution?

Christian Gilli, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Start menu and taskbar options just flash briefly when clicked

1. Start menu and taskbar options just flash briefly when clicked - Similar Threads - Start menu taskbar

2. Clicking icons on taskbar just makes them flash red

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Clicking icons on taskbar just makes them flash red: Whenever I try to open a program from the taskbar all it opens, but under the program that I am currently in, and the icon flashes red. I have no clue what is causing this, and the only way I know to fix it is by restarting my computer, but it just comes back after 30...
  3. Clicking icons on taskbar just makes them flash red

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Clicking icons on taskbar just makes them flash red: Whenever I try to open a program from the taskbar all it opens, but under the program that I am currently in, and the icon flashes red. I have no clue what is causing this, and the only way I know to fix it is by restarting my computer, but it just comes back after 30...
  4. Desktop Briefly flashs at startup

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Desktop Briefly flashs at startup: after logging on my computer, it loads my desktop with my background and taskbar. Then starts flashing rapidly between black nothingness and a my desktop (taskbar flashes glitchily as well) And then another 30ish seconds it all goes back to normal and the computer works...
  5. Screen Briefly Flashes Black When Starting a Youtube Video.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Screen Briefly Flashes Black When Starting a Youtube Video.: Whenever I start up youtube and click a video on my pc, the screen briefly flashes black, then turns back on. I am wondering if this might be something to do with the computer or the software....
  6. Cant click on taskbar/start menu

Cant click on taskbar/start menu: I cannot click on my taskbar, no right click either. I can click on my desktop icons and open them, but then i cant click on anything in the folders. Sometimes it swaps, like i can click on taskbar but not desktop. My mouse also sometimes randomly does a middlemouse button...
  7. Unable to click on taskbar/start menu icons

Unable to click on taskbar/start menu icons: This is an odd problem, but it seems there are moments when I cannot click on my taskbar/start menu. When hovering over the icons, they aren't highlighted. I'm unsure if this is a problem with my mouse (I use a Logitech G502), but it seems that I can temporarily click on...
  8. When clicking start menu, toolbar on taskbar disappears

in Windows 10 Support
    When clicking start menu, toolbar on taskbar disappears: I've attached a video below of the problem. When clicking the start menu, one of my toolbars (Media Monkey Media Player) disappears for some reason, and re-appears when releasing from the start menu. I've checked every option in Media Monkey and haven' t found a good reason...
  9. Taskbar GPO option NOT properly preventing right-click on Start Menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Taskbar GPO option NOT properly preventing right-click on Start Menu: The GPO option "Remove access to the context menus for the taskbar" is NOT properly preventing users from opening up the Power User Tasks Menu by right-clicking on the Start Menu button. (I swear this USED to work before the Windows 10 Pro April 2018 update - build 1803)...
  10. Can't click on anything in Taskbar or Start Menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't click on anything in Taskbar or Start Menu: Good day. I have an HP notebook with Windows 10 and yesterday I noticed that when I tried to open any programs from the taskbar, nothing happened. I clicked on the Start Menu also, nothing again. Even if I wave my mouse on the taskbar/Start menu. The icons don't light...