Windows 10: Start Menu Breaks -- GPU Driver Related Issue?

Discus and support Start Menu Breaks -- GPU Driver Related Issue? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I had upgraded to Win10Pro from Win7 once, and rolled back/re-upgraded in order to recover my start menu once only to have it break again after... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Reactor686, Jul 30, 2016.

1. Start Menu Breaks -- GPU Driver Related Issue?

I had upgraded to Win10Pro from Win7 once, and rolled back/re-upgraded in order to recover my start menu once only to have it break again after rebooting.

After spending several hours and attempting different fixes (DISM etc.) to recover my Start menu, the Microsoft start menu troubleshooting utility told me I was effectively SOL because Cortana and some other necessary applications were not properly installed. Unrelated, I stated to receive an error for a popular game (Overwatch, error: 0xE0070150) which is sometimes resolved by installing graphics card drivers. Upon reinstalling Nvidia drivers 368.81 my start menu returned and the game also worked (no reboot necessary).

I still lose my start menu every time my system reboots, but my workaround at present is to sleep-state unless rebooting is necessary and simply reinstall the GPU drivers every time. I hope the anniversary update fixes this issue (maybe even the reason why they are making the spy-queen Cortana mandatory is to avoid whatever under-the-hood conflict is robbing people of their start menus).

I haven't come across a connection between GPU drivers and Start menu issues when I was trying to fix things -- can anyone here help me figure out why I need to reinstall them every time after rebooting?

I can provide a DxDiag dump etc., I just don't want to flood with too much information.

:)

Reactor686, Jul 30, 2016

2. BSOD when running video card

Still related to the video driver. Since you have a current driver I would revert back to a driver a year old (as described in the wiki). If that does not help it is time to start testing the hardware

Try this free video stress test:
    http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/fur/

FurMark Setup:

- If you have more than one GPU, select Multi-GPU during setup

- In the Run mode box, select "Stability Test" and "Log GPU Temperature"

Click "Go" to start the test

- Run the test until the GPU temperature maxes out - or until you start having problems (whichever comes first)

- Click "Quit" to exit

ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP), Jul 30, 2016
  3. How to solve unexpected kernal mode trap + other BSOD errors

Not driver verified and still related to the video driver. May be time to start thinking about testing the hardware od doing a wipe of the OS

Try this free video stress test:
    http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/fur/

FurMark Setup:

- If you have more than one GPU, select Multi-GPU during setup

- In the Run mode box, select "Stability Test" and "Log GPU Temperature"

Click "Go" to start the test

- Run the test until the GPU temperature maxes out - or until you start having problems (whichever comes first)

- Click "Quit" to exit

ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP), Jul 30, 2016
Thema:

Start Menu Breaks -- GPU Driver Related Issue?

1. Start Menu Breaks -- GPU Driver Related Issue? - Similar Threads - Start Menu Breaks

2. GPU driver issue?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    GPU driver issue?: I have been trying to update the drivers for my nvidia 3060ti for a few months. Every time I try to do this, once completing the update the resolution changes to 1024 x 768 with no option to change it back within the window settings, with 1024 x 768 being the highest...
  3. GPU driver issue?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    GPU driver issue?: I have been trying to update the drivers for my nvidia 3060ti for a few months. Every time I try to do this, once completing the update the resolution changes to 1024 x 768 with no option to change it back within the window settings, with 1024 x 768 being the highest...
  4. Is it an insufficient RAM related issue or a GPU memory issue?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is it an insufficient RAM related issue or a GPU memory issue?: I have an old Intel G2010 processor desktop with 2 GB RAM. It has Intel HD Graphics which has following properties:I'm trying to test if CSGO lowest possible settings works on it or not because I have heard some people playing it on same processor with same iGPU. So I'm...
  5. Is it an insufficient RAM related issue or a GPU memory issue?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is it an insufficient RAM related issue or a GPU memory issue?: I have an old Intel G2010 processor desktop with 2 GB RAM. It has Intel HD Graphics which has following properties:I'm trying to test if CSGO lowest possible settings works on it or not because I have heard some people playing it on same processor with same iGPU. So I'm...
  6. Registry/Driver Related Issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Registry/Driver Related Issue: Hi there, I really hope someone can help me with this one.So attempting to fix a touchpad issue I've been having since I installed Windows 11 I have somehow killed any external peripherals that were connected to my laptop. I was following the guide right here in the microsoft...
  7. Windows start menu keeps breaking

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows start menu keeps breaking: From time to time the Windows start menu will become unresponsive. I’ve run sfc/scannow, as well as DISM. Neither finds any issues and the only thing that seems to fix it is a restart or restarting the Windows Explorer service. I’m one version behind the May release, but I’m...
  8. Hardware / Driver Related Issues

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Hardware / Driver Related Issues: [ATTACH] Hello, recently i installed Windows 10 on an old EarthWalk Lap15EW2 that came with Windows 7 installed, and right after that, I started having problems where I would boot it up and it would instantly hard-lock and i would have to hold down the power button and...
  9. Superfetch breaking start menu

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Superfetch breaking start menu: Hi all, Just made this account to see if anyone can help. I am running windows 10 on my desktop and the start menu broke on me. I did all the recommended fixes for it and that seemed to work for a few days then every time I would completely power down my desktop, the next...
  10. Start menu - Ownership related ?

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu - Ownership related ?: Hi guys, Thank you for letting me join up *Smile I have related a Start-menu+App-store problem to taking over ownership via my Admin-profile. I simply cancels out both Notification-area, Start Menu, Logging in to my account (Microsoft). Actions taken = Locate...