Windows 10: Start menu broken - how to recover?

Discus and support Start menu broken - how to recover? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Something happened, I thought perhaps it was a consequence of installing an update. but I did a system restore and the start menu still won't open.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by SOHO1, Oct 14, 2016.

1. SOHO1 Win User

Start menu broken - how to recover?

Something happened, I thought perhaps it was a consequence of installing an update. but I did a system restore and the start menu still won't open.

I can right click the windows icon

Start menu broken - how to recover? [​IMG]

but left-click does nothing. What can I do to restore this?

:)

SOHO1, Oct 14, 2016

2. How to fix broken Start Menu?

Not so. The data for the current user is still accessible under c:\Users\Dialga. All you need to do is to shift the folders to your own profile folder.

Your observation suggests that you belong to the very large group of people who refuse to back up their files regularly (e.g. weekly) to an external medium until they suffer a major disaster. The disaster by far the best incentive to implement a backup process
    but it can be extremely painful.

Frederik Long, Oct 14, 2016
  3. How to fix broken Start Menu?

The problem is widespread and there are two fixes that appear to work most of the time:

• Use System Restore (rstrui.exe) to set Windows back by a few days.
    • Create and use a new Windows logon account (control.exe).
    You can invoke each function by creating a new desktop shortcut.

I would, but making a user account will make me lose LOTS of data. Please help.

MrDialga34, Oct 14, 2016
  4. Start menu broken - how to recover?

SOHO1,

Welcome to the forum!

Let's give the following a whirl...

Please press the Windows key and the R key at the same time.
    This opens the Run box
    In the Open area, type: msconfig
    Press: OK

In System Configuration console, select the Boot tab
    Check the box for: Safe boot
    Make sure Minimal is also ticked.

Press the OK button
    When asked if you want to Restart now or wait until later, Restart now
    The restart takes you into Safe Mode.

In Safe Mode, try to left click and right click the Start button, and see if it works.

Once done turn off Safe Mode and go back to normal mode.
    Open up msconfig the same way as above.
    On the Boot tab uncheck: Safe boot
    Press the OK button

When asked if you want to Restart now or wait until later, Restart now
    The restart takes you back to normal.

Check the issue again, and see if the left click on the Start button works.

cottonball, Oct 14, 2016
Thema:

Start menu broken - how to recover?

1. Start menu broken - how to recover? - Similar Threads - Start menu broken

2. Broken icons start menu search

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Broken icons start menu search: [ATTACH] In the last 2 days I found this issue on my windows, not sure how many icons are affected but it looks really awful, it seem to be only on the search part of the start menu and to include most but not all the apps, what can I do to fix it? Thanks...
  3. Start menu broken after KB4524147

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Start menu broken after KB4524147: I'm running windows 10 home 1903.The latest cumulative update kills the start menu for me. Clicking the start button opens up a window saying " Critical error start menu not working,sign out ..." somthing like that . I tried reinstalling all windows store apps via...
  4. Windows 10 Start menu broken

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 Start menu broken: We have a few machines where the start menu is just broken, clicking on the Start button or pressing the Windows key does nothing, which makes the system pretty difficult to use. There used to be a Start Menu Troubleshooter tool, however this has now been removed and...
  5. Broken item in Start Menu

Broken item in Start Menu: Hi Please could someone assist me with removing the following item in my Start Menu: [ATTACH] [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/broken-item-in-start-menu/7aa56942-3cde-49d1-a75a-38afb23a89f1
  6. Start Menu Broken Apps List entry

Start Menu Broken Apps List entry: So I recently tried to uninstall the pre-installed version of Microsoft Office from my computer, and install Office 365 from my educational institution in its place. To my knowledge I did so successfully, with a small exception. I managed to remove most of the original...
  7. Broken start menu & ms-settings:personalisation-background

Broken start menu & ms-settings:personalisation-background: On my surface laptop the start menu stopped working. Along with some microsoft default apps. I don't get any icons when I swipe from the left or right on the screen and I cant tap the windows key to open the menu. The settings menu cannot also be accessed. I can find all...
  8. Broken tile images in start menu. How to fix?

Broken tile images in start menu. How to fix?: Upgraded the home computer this morning (win10 home). All was looking well until all of a sudden Paint.net starting showing half the image and shortly after, the Photos app as well. It only happens if I set the size of the tiles as small. Any idea what's going on and how to...
  9. Broken shortcut on Start Menu program list

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Broken shortcut on Start Menu program list: I found a broken shortcut on my account's Start Menu program list, located all the way on the bottom. [img] Right-clicking and uninstalling doesn't do anything. I tried some of the solutions found online and most of them don't work. Is there any way for me to fix this...
  10. Windows 10 Start-Menu Icons broken ?

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Start-Menu Icons broken ?: Hello community, I just installed Windows 10 and its nice and all, just that the icons in the start menu and the system settings for programs are broken. You dont know what I mean? This is a screenshot: Screenshot Hope you can help! *Smile Yours, Jerome 9486