Windows 10: Start menu broken - how to recover?

Discus and support Start menu broken - how to recover? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Something happened, I thought perhaps it was a consequence of installing an update. but I did a system restore and the start menu still won't open.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by SOHO1, Oct 14, 2016.

1. SOHO1 Win User

Start menu broken - how to recover?

Something happened, I thought perhaps it was a consequence of installing an update. but I did a system restore and the start menu still won't open.

I can right click the windows icon

Start menu broken - how to recover? [​IMG]

but left-click does nothing. What can I do to restore this?

:)

SOHO1, Oct 14, 2016

2. How to fix broken Start Menu?

Not so. The data for the current user is still accessible under c:\Users\Dialga. All you need to do is to shift the folders to your own profile folder.

Your observation suggests that you belong to the very large group of people who refuse to back up their files regularly (e.g. weekly) to an external medium until they suffer a major disaster. The disaster by far the best incentive to implement a backup process
    but it can be extremely painful.

Frederik Long, Oct 14, 2016
  3. How to fix broken Start Menu?

The problem is widespread and there are two fixes that appear to work most of the time:

• Use System Restore (rstrui.exe) to set Windows back by a few days.
    • Create and use a new Windows logon account (control.exe).
    You can invoke each function by creating a new desktop shortcut.

I would, but making a user account will make me lose LOTS of data. Please help.

MrDialga34, Oct 14, 2016
  4. Start menu broken - how to recover?

SOHO1,

Welcome to the forum!

Let's give the following a whirl...

Please press the Windows key and the R key at the same time.
    This opens the Run box
    In the Open area, type: msconfig
    Press: OK

In System Configuration console, select the Boot tab
    Check the box for: Safe boot
    Make sure Minimal is also ticked.

Press the OK button
    When asked if you want to Restart now or wait until later, Restart now
    The restart takes you into Safe Mode.

In Safe Mode, try to left click and right click the Start button, and see if it works.

Once done turn off Safe Mode and go back to normal mode.
    Open up msconfig the same way as above.
    On the Boot tab uncheck: Safe boot
    Press the OK button

When asked if you want to Restart now or wait until later, Restart now
    The restart takes you back to normal.

Check the issue again, and see if the left click on the Start button works.

cottonball, Oct 14, 2016
Thema:

Start menu broken - how to recover?

1. Start menu broken - how to recover? - Similar Threads - Start menu broken

2. start menu broken

in Windows 10 Gaming
    start menu broken: My start menu is broken. It splits in half and I cant click on the side where the apps is placed. I need my start menu. I cant see logs where I can see the cause of the concern so I decided to reach you. I need help...
  3. start menu broken

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    start menu broken: My start menu is broken. It splits in half and I cant click on the side where the apps is placed. I need my start menu. I cant see logs where I can see the cause of the concern so I decided to reach you. I need help...
  4. start menu broken

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Start menu broken shortcut

Start menu broken shortcut: Hello guys, I have an issue here. When I was rearrange my start menu I found a doubled "Word" icon, and I tried to remove it.But when I tried to find this shortcut location with right click then 'more', there is no 'Open file location' option.I've already look in start menu...
  6. My start menu is "broken"

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    My start menu is "broken": [ATTACH] Hi I've had this problem recently, when I try to search some applications for example Netflix or calculator the icon doesn't show. My second problem is that I uninstalled Office 2016 to install Office 365, but every time I search for an office app it always show...
  7. Start Menu is broken

Start Menu is broken: So I booted into Windows 10 because I need to write a PowerShell script and my Start Menu just broke itself. It worked perfectly fine, I rebooted and since then it's not been showing up at all when clicking at the Start button or pressing the Windows key. I have not installed...
  8. Is my start menu broken?

Is my start menu broken?: [ATTACH] Just updated as well, and thought I would finally give the windows 10 start menu a go, and not use classic shell. But I'm unsure whether my start menu is broken, and I should do a clean install. I can drag a tile from the start menu to the desktop, but I can't drag...
  9. Broken start menu

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Broken start menu: Can anyone help me fix my start menuwhich wont appear when clicked on? It appears briefly then disappears. Version 1909 OS Build 18363.693 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/broken-start-menu/7e7f3f8d-3288-4899-9d25-a3ee5d9f0e4c
  10. Start menu broken

Start menu broken: I have gaps where icons should be but I cant move/rearrange many of the icons. I also cant create a new group submitted by /u/mallorcaben [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ez6g66/start_menu_broken/