Windows 10: Start menu closes when I type instead of searching

Discus and support Start menu closes when I type instead of searching in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Sometimes when I open the start menu and start typing, the start menu closes instead of searching for the character string that I type. Why does it do... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by THX1138, Dec 17, 2017.

1. THX1138 Win User

Start menu closes when I type instead of searching

Sometimes when I open the start menu and start typing, the start menu closes instead of searching for the character string that I type. Why does it do this? Thanks.

:)

THX1138, Dec 17, 2017
  2. G. Sauer Win User

Start menu search bug

If I click the start button, the start menu opens.

Typing anything automatically opens the search - so far so good.

But if I open the start menu, e.g. click on all apps and then try to search by typing any word nothing happens.

Even if I go back the search won't come back when I type any letter.

I have to close and reopen the start menu.

Therefore I think this is a bug and has to be fixed.

G. Sauer, Dec 17, 2017
  3. Searching in Start menu goes to IE instead of default browser (Edge) in Windows 10.

Hi,

To set Microsoft Edge as the default browser when searching using Cortana, please follow the steps below. We also included screenshots for your reference.

1. Click on the Move icon at the upper right corner of Microsoft Edge.

Start menu closes when I type instead of searching [​IMG]

2. Select Settings.

3. From the Settings menu, scroll down and click View advanced settings.

4. From the Advanced settings, make sure that the Have Cortana assist me in Microsoft Edge option is set to
    On.

Let us know how it goes.

JohnRod Nav, Dec 17, 2017
Thema:

Start menu closes when I type instead of searching

1. Start menu closes when I type instead of searching - Similar Threads - Start menu closes

2. search automatically close when typing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    search automatically close when typing: I have a sudden issue on my Windows. My search box automatically close when typing. It is weird and I cant do anything on it. How can I address it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/search-automatically-close-when-typing/ca3cf3b9-5d8b-469f-8f14-72deb8e74208
  3. search automatically close when typing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    search automatically close when typing: I have a sudden issue on my Windows. My search box automatically close when typing. It is weird and I cant do anything on it. How can I address it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/search-automatically-close-when-typing/ca3cf3b9-5d8b-469f-8f14-72deb8e74208
  4. search automatically close when typing

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Start menu/Search doesn't close automatically

Start menu/Search doesn't close automatically: Hello! I have a problem that has been annoying me for the last couple of months, and I cannot keep using my Surface and Acer Laptop like that any longer! Whenever I press the Windows key or use the search dialog and search for a folder, and press enter, windows explorer...
  6. Start Menu Closing/Crashing When I try to type in it

in Cortana
    Start Menu Closing/Crashing When I try to type in it: I'm using Windows 10, when I try to type into my search bar on my bottom left, it closes automatically on me, even typing one letter into the search box makes it close on me. This has been happening for almost 2 months and I have spent countless hours trying to fix this...
  7. Any way when typing with the start menu up ...to search, well, just the start menu?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Any way when typing with the start menu up ...to search, well, just the start menu?: Basically, if the start menu is open and I'm typing, I just want to show results in the start menu structure. I don't want to search my documents, the web, apps I don't have installed, settings, or other random crap from the ends of the earth. Just simply filter down the...
  8. Windows 10 Start Menu and Notification menu closes when clicked or when typing anything

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 Start Menu and Notification menu closes when clicked or when typing anything: Windows 10 Start Menu and Notification menu closes when clicked or when typing anything . Problem started suddenly a few hours ago , restarting PC only allows it to be fixed for 1 time then it starts to have the same problem again . If I go to task manager there's a process...
  9. When I start typing text in START search bar, instead of icons on the left there's a gap.

When I start typing text in START search bar, instead of icons on the left there's a gap.: Hello, I'm kind of bugged out and kinda being irritated by this one thing. To simply put it, when I'm writting something when I have pressed the START button the power button icon and others above dissapear leaving a blank space. Anyone has acrossed by this issue and has an...
  10. Start menu typing search doesn't work

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu typing search doesn't work: I thought I could just type "rege" and get Regedit result right away. No. I need to type the whole name. What's going on? The Windows Search service is running. I disabled Cortana, but that shouldn't matter, should it? 112057

Users found this page by searching for:

1. typing on start closes start

2. windows start menu search closes when i type

3. windows start menu closes when searching