Windows 10: Start menu -> Command prompt -> right click -> run as admin = error

Discus and support Start menu -> Command prompt -> right click -> run as admin = error in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have a problem that seems (to me at least) to be quite common as well as annoying when it happens because you don't know when it started occurring... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by yogalD, Jan 15, 2017.

1. yogalD Win User

Start menu -> Command prompt -> right click -> run as admin = error

I have a problem that seems (to me at least) to be quite common as well as annoying when it happens because you don't know when it started occurring and have no way to fix it, which is why I am finally asking after all these years.

The problem is, when typing Command prompt into the start search box, then right clicking it and choosing run as admin, there's an error. I know I can use Win+X+A to run command prompt as admin, I can also right click a shortcut and run as admin, I can even type cmd into the start search box and run as admin. But when right clicking Command Prompt in the start menu and running as admin, it doesn't work.

This happened even on Windows 7. Actually, I'm using StartIsBack on Windows 10 right now. I just tried using the default Windows 10 start menu and there's no such problem, but that's because the Windows 10 start menu operates differently. (Am I posting this in the right place? Should it actually belong in SevenForums then?)

I can even invoke the error by searching for Task Manager, or On-Screen Keyboard, and various other Windows system tools. It seems that if I right click, and "Run as Administrator" does not have a shield icon, it will error if I click it. Refer to screenshots below:

Start menu -> Command prompt -> right click -> run as admin = error [​IMG]

Start menu -> Command prompt -> right click -> run as admin = error [​IMG]

So, how can I finally fix this?

(btw, I think the error message is different on Windows 7 but basically it's the same problem nonetheless)

:)

yogalD, Jan 15, 2017

2. Windows 10 incorrect username in C:\Users\xxx

Right-click Windows Start icon on your taskbar and choose 'Command Prompt (Admin)'

or

Go to Start -> Windows System folder ->Right-Click on 'Command Prompt' ->More -> Run as administrator

LiliaKarligkioti, Jan 15, 2017
  3. Martmcd Win User
    How do I access Command Prompt Administrator Access in Windows 10 with the Creators Upgrade installed?

you can run those commands in windows powershell (admin)

if you want command prompt (admin) back on the start right click menu

go to settings -> personalisation -> taskbar

turn off 'Replace command prompt with powershell....'

why its in taskbar and not start, I don't know.

Martmcd, Jan 15, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

You don't say what the error is but it's simpler to right click start then choose CMD prompt admin. You say you type command that is MS-DOS command.com not CMD.exe

Samuria, Jan 15, 2017
  5. yogalD Win User
    The error is clearly there in the screenshot.

Typing "command" is to search for "Command Prompt" in the start menu. In fact, command.com has not existed in Windows since XP (or Vista, I don't remember).

The reason I brought up the issue was because I was trying to run PowerShell as admin. Typing powershell in the start menu, right clicking it and choosing run as administrator, gives me the same error. And don't tell me to enable the option to replace Command Prompt with PowerShell in the Win+X menu, because that's not a solution (and because I use cmd a lot more often than PowerShell).

yogalD, Jan 15, 2017
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    That would tend to indicate to me that StartIsBack is the problem, not Windows 10.

NavyLCDR, Jan 15, 2017
  7. yogalD Win User
    Perhaps, but Windows 7 has the same issue. If I can get a solution to the the Windows 7 problem it will probably work for StartIsBack on Windows 8 and 10, considering StartIsBack really just uses the unused start menu code that is hidden in those versions of Windows.

yogalD, Jan 16, 2017
  8. Retne Win User

Hi YogaID, I saw your post here (and the Win 7 forum) and came to say I've started to have the same issue. I've been using StartIsBack for many years, and have only just started experiencing this issue. I assume it's a coincidence but I also happened to notice this when trying to run Powershell as admin, although the fault occurs for other programs too.

I haven't yet tried uninstalling StartIsBack yet (not sure where my license key is!), but will try that when I get a sec. There is a comment I've seen which we should track: Run As Administrator | Startisback

Good luck!

Retne, Feb 16, 2017
  9. yogalD Win User
    I just tried reinstalling StartIsBack but that doesn't solve it. Seeing as the problem occurs in Windows 7 as well, it has to be due to the start menu (what's left of it in Win10) rather than StartIsBack - thus it's a problem with Windows and not with any third party application like SIB.

yogalD, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Start menu -> Command prompt -> right click -> run as admin = error - Similar Threads - Start menu Command

2. Right-click on start menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Right-click on start menu: When I right-click on the Start menu in Windows 10, it brings up the options menu and when I select Task manager nothing happens. This also happens when I try to select Device Manager, Event Viewer, Disk Manager, Computer Manager, Windows Powershell and Admin, and File...
  3. Right-click on start menu

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Right-click on start menu: When I right-click on the Start menu in Windows 10, it brings up the options menu and when I select Task manager nothing happens. This also happens when I try to select Device Manager, Event Viewer, Disk Manager, Computer Manager, Windows Powershell and Admin, and File...
  4. Start menu search hangs if right-click, Run as Admin is used.

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu search hangs if right-click, Run as Admin is used.: If I use the start menu search bar for items such as Notepad, CMD etc. and do right click run as administrator Nothing happens. If I simply double click then it launches ok, i have ticked the run as administrator in the file / shortcut properties, so double clicking does run...
  5. PowerShell(Admin) -right click start menu edit

in Windows 10 Support
    PowerShell(Admin) -right click start menu edit: Right click on either PowerShell shortcut in the Win10 20H2 start menu and both are user not the System32 for the (Admin). I couldn't find where these start menu right click shortcuts are stored so I have used the tutorial registry script merge to have the admin cmd on the...
  6. My right-click and command prompt admin have problems

My right-click and command prompt admin have problems: Hello, My Windows 10 is the 1909 version updated on 01/13/2020. However, after updating the new version, I cannot use the right-click and the command prompt as the administrator anymore. When I click right-click on the file, the mouse changes to a blue circle, the Windows...
  7. Start Menu - Right-Click

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu - Right-Click: Hello,In the "Start Menu" there are two types of icons - one is a square with a folder icon on it, the other is a square with the program's icon.Now 'folder icons' have no right-click sub-menu, the others with a program icon have a right-click sub-menu.In the sub-items of a...
  8. cannot access command prompt or command prompt (admin) from start menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    cannot access command prompt or command prompt (admin) from start menu: I was using Pinnacle Studio when it froze. On rebooting I discovered I had to reinstall my drivers for video and audio. I decided to use SFC /Scannow to check Windows. I discovered I could no longer access cannot access command prompt or command prompt (admin) by right...
  9. command prompt as admin error

command prompt as admin error: Hi I am trying to delet files, and apparently I need to go into command prompt "run as admin" (through right click on command prompt in the start menu). But when I do this, I get a window asking for password, but nowhere to enter the password and no "yes" option, only a "no"...
  10. Unable to right click in start menu to run as admin

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to right click in start menu to run as admin: I'm fully up to date on W10 x64 and have just noticed that I can no longer (as in, I could a few days ago) right click on certain apps to run as admin. I can't even use the 'menu' keyboard button to open the right click menu either, this does nothing. I *can* do so on...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. right click run as admin gives non admin log in box

2. run dos prompt and run start menu