Windows 10: Start menu consolidation

Discus and support Start menu consolidation in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I don't like clutter. To that end I have added new folders to the start menu and grouped like items together into appropriately named folders: for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by xwray, Mar 28, 2018.

1. xwray Win User

Start menu consolidation

I don't like clutter.

To that end I have added new folders to the start menu and grouped like items together into appropriately named folders: for example, image editors and tools into a folder named image processing, various text editors into a folder named text editors, etc....simple enough. just by doing this I have consolidated 11 individual icons scattered all over the "all apps" list into 2 folders - clean and easier to find.

My problem is I can't find anything analogous to the c:/programdata/microsoft/windows/start menu/programs folder which contains the icons for all of the programs which I have installed and allows me to rearrange the icons to my liking. Thus far I have been unsuccessful in locating such a folder.

I'm hoping someone has done the same thing and can let me know where it, if indeed it is an it, is located.

It'll probably turn out that the built-in apps start menu icons aren't even "real" icons and just magically appear there....

Any feedback will be appreciated.

:)

xwray, Mar 28, 2018
  2. Thanatica Win User

Consolidate context menu styles

The style for context menus need to be consolidated. There are current three different styles:

• Right-click on an empty region of the taskbar: you will get a black context menu with a light border and no icons, which fades in and out.
    • Right-click on a taskbar app button: you will get a black context menu without border but with monotone icons, which slides in and out from the bottom.
    • Right-click on the desktop and most other places: you will get a bright-grey context menu with coloured icons, which fades in and out.

Like I said, there is no need to maintain three different styles for a visual element that is the result of three identical user interactions, only in different places. These three styles come with a virgin installation of Windows 10, which can make it confusing
    to new and upgraded users why the colour and such is suddenly different for essentially the same 'thing'.

To reiterate, differences in:

• Background colour
    • Text colour
    • Border style
    • Hide- and show animation
    • Coloured icons, monotone icons, or no icons

Why not make these the same for every context menu? It's easier to maintain (for Microsoft devs) and easier on the user experience (for your valued customers).

Thanatica, Mar 28, 2018
  3. KB3093266 Has Failed to Install On My Computer Twice

Thank you GrahamNZ, that did it.

I had done exactly the same, using Classic Shell and consolidating start menu folders.

This CU failed to run 7 times before your fix finally got it through.

Jaap Meiresonne, Mar 28, 2018
  4. Edwin New Member

Start menu consolidation

Most program icons reside within their own exe...

Start menu consolidation [​IMG]

Edwin, Mar 28, 2018
  5. xwray Win User
    Right...I probably wasn't very clear. It isn't the icon itself I trying to get to but the shortcut.

For the user installed programs, you can place their icons (shortcuts) into a new folder and that's the way they automagically appear in the start menu.

However, for the included microsoft programs there is no equivalent mechanism that I can find that would allow you to locate and place its "shortcut/icon" into an "area" so it would automatically appear on the start menu by virtue of some win10 service/utility that would be scanning that "area" and building the resultant menu items.

I hope that makes sense...kinda hard to put into words when you don't know exactly how win10 builds the menus...

xwray, Mar 28, 2018
  6. Edwin New Member
    Ah! I understand!

Basically, you need to create new shortcuts of everything, give them unique names, unique folder names, etc., etc.,
    with the Universal App shortcuts you create, you also have to supply icons! Kind of a pain but doable! *Smile

Start menu consolidation [​IMG]

Edwin, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Start menu consolidation

1. Start menu consolidation - Similar Threads - Start menu consolidation

2. Consolidate Certifications

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Consolidate Certifications: Hello Microsoft,I have close to 8 certifications but I have changed my name since then. I need to consolidate all of my certifications under my new name and account. What is the best way to do that?...
  3. Consolidate Certifications

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Consolidate Certifications: Hello Microsoft,I have close to 8 certifications but I have changed my name since then. I need to consolidate all of my certifications under my new name and account. What is the best way to do that?...
  4. Microsoft Consolidator

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Consolidator: Why does this app run so often? It says it will run every 6 hours. I think it is the app tying up my computer so nothing else runs. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-consolidator/d41decc5-8fb4-49c5-864e-f018843d8793
  5. Microsoft Consolidator

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft Consolidator: Why does this app run so often? It says it will run every 6 hours. I think it is the app tying up my computer so nothing else runs. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-consolidator/d41decc5-8fb4-49c5-864e-f018843d8793
  6. Microsoft Consolidator

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. Consolidation of Windows Accounts?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Consolidation of Windows Accounts?: Hi all,this is something which annoys me since a long time. Somehow, I have two different Microsoft-accounts for one email-address. Every time I need to put in my passwords I have to try different combinations.I have a "School" and a "Corporate" account somehow. Why does...
  8. Consolidating Accounts

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Consolidating Accounts: Hi Microsoft, I have an issue where, over years of using Microsoft and its various products and services, I have unknowingly split my data between three different accounts - all in the same Microsoft "family" but using different logins for some reason. - One is linked to...
  9. Start Menu No Start

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Start Menu No Start: When I select my Start Menu, I receive a critical error message. I uninstalled the last Windows update but that didn't solve the problem. submitted by /u/HalfFoods [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/fq6m3a/start_menu_no_start/
  10. Consolidate or Update Account

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Consolidate or Update Account: My old PC died. I bought and set up a new Windows 10 PC using my wife's email account and her cell phone number in order to go through the steps. But now I have my own cell phone and my email operating and am trying to change the address and phone number for my account....