Windows 10: Start Menu, Cortana and most Metro Apps/UI features fail to load

Discus and support Start Menu, Cortana and most Metro Apps/UI features fail to load in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, I've become a victim of the "Critical Error - Your Start menu isn't working. We'll try to fix it the next time you sign in" error. The Start menu... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by clixer, Mar 23, 2016.

1. clixer Win User

Start Menu, Cortana and most Metro Apps/UI features fail to load

Hi,
    I've become a victim of the "Critical Error - Your Start menu isn't working. We'll try to fix it the next time you sign in" error. The Start menu prompts this error to appear, while Cortana, Battery, Wireless, Sound, Notifications and Clock also do not respond to clicks; and Metro apps also do not work (notably, Task View still works). This has been ongoing for about 2 to 3 months, interrupted by two days in which it all worked following an upgrade, but fell back to the error shortly after.

The only Metro App I can get running is Settings (may not be Metro) which works 98% of the time when Right Click>Display Settings is used. 2% of the time it says something like "You need a new app to open this file: ms-settings".

The obvious response to this was to perform an Upgrade in Place. I decided not to follow it through when it told me I would lose all my files because "your current version of Windows might be installed in an unsupported directory". Following a reddit guide, I saw that this refered to a registry key dictating the location of Program Files and Users; but having not ever editted these keys, or ran any programs that would have needed to edit these keys, I opened regedit and confirmed these keys were default.

System file checker returned no errors.

Having nothing to lose, I then proceded to run every reputable fix for this issue under the Sun. From reloading apps with dism, to deleting drivers in safe mode and registry hacks and new accounts; the only hope was when I briefly got a blank start menu, though a reboot quickly ended that. I beleive dism made the situation worse, as when running it, the Powershell window steadily filled up with red errors and ended with a Taskbar void of any Metro apps.

I have already done a complete reinstall of Windows due to a very similar issue in the past year, and see no reason for doing another immediately when it will likely ultimately end in the same results.

If anyone has a solution/suggestion, or a similar issue, please share it!

Many thanks.

:)

clixer, Mar 23, 2016
  2. MantaSK Win User

My Windows 10 Metro UI has replaced the normal start menu

My Windows 10 Metro UI has replaced the normal start menu and I am perfectly happy to keep the original start menu and do not at all want the Metro UI to be my main start up menu.

MantaSK, Mar 23, 2016
  3. Windows10 reserve-upgrade notification not received!

using Get preview app!

n installation seemed normal! but after installation, no metro UI part of OS and windows update of desktop UI was working!

Windows apps, Action center, start, cortana, search etc, anf windows update were not working!

NeloyDutta, Mar 23, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Previously people have said things like update Avast, disable hibernation, remove Dropbox. Well, I have hibernation enabled, I use Avast - but I don't have any Dropbox software installed. (Should be no problem from v3.1.2.6 apparently).

Have you tried a clean boot to see if you still have the problem? However I think your problems are deeper than a conflict with an installed program.

An in-place upgrade repair install would be sthg I would try, and have used 3 times now. I am puzzled by the message you get, which might suggest some other underlying corruption - perhaps a registry permissions problem.

Thread here (older):
    Solved CRITICAL ERROR - Start Menu and CORTANA aren't working. W'll try to fi - Page 7 - Windows 10 Forums

dalchina, Mar 24, 2016
Thema:

1. Start Menu, Cortana and most Metro Apps/UI features fail to load - Similar Threads - Start Menu Cortana

2. Can't start many Metro apps some apps work, most - no

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't start many Metro apps some apps work, most - no: After installing and starting Metro apps, they close immediately, showing the window-box just for a fraction of second.There are 3 different error messages in the "Applications" log:Provider: ESENT, EventID 454DllHost 7620,U,98...
  3. Icons of Metro apps disappeared from Start Menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    Icons of Metro apps disappeared from Start Menu: [ATTACH] I just recovered my Windows and this happened https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/icons-of-metro-apps-disappeared-from-start-menu/bf0baa33-41c0-46bc-a5f4-b201b2faadad
  4. Metro style UI

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Metro style UI: New metro style UI is a big mistake and true piece of sh**t. Please kill it with fire. Pls send this message to Satya Nadella and Bill Gates https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/games_windows_10/metro-style-ui/323057de-38a5-487a-8ec6-d9435696b1ff
  5. Custom Start Menu & Metro App removal

in Windows 10 Customization
    Custom Start Menu & Metro App removal: I used to have the scripts that are listed all over the web within my Win10 deployment and it worked wonderfully. But now, it's not. And i'm not sure why. What's happening is, the metro apps are being removed, but their shortcuts i guess are staying behind. And as for...
  6. Cortana/Store/Metro Apps FINALLY fixed!

Cortana/Store/Metro Apps FINALLY fixed!: Like innumerable other Win10 users, I have been trying for quite a while to get broken apps and Cortana to work again, after the Anniversary 'update'. I've repeatedly tried sfc /scannow; DISM restorehealth; MS Repair tools; Windows troubleshooter; the infamous Powershell...
  7. Metro Apps slow to load

Metro Apps slow to load: Ever since I upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7 the metro apps have been slow to launch if they ever do. The Xbox app takes 3 minutes+ just to load past a green screen. And the weather metro app never loads, just stays on the blue background. I have ran a sfc & error...
  8. Nothing in Metro UI Works

in Windows 10 Support
    Nothing in Metro UI Works: Hi all Recently I started having a problem where after my computer is on for awhile, nothing that operates in the Metro UI will open or function at all. This includes the Start menu, any Windows 10 apps including Settings, Task View, the alt-tab interface, etc. I also...
  9. Windows 10 start menu/notification menu/metro apps not opening anymore

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 start menu/notification menu/metro apps not opening anymore: I am using Windows 10 for around 2 days now. But today my computer freezed while playing a game, so i restarted my computer and when i logged in, the start menu,notification menu and metro apps would not open anymore. Whats is happening? 10416
  10. Start menu, cortana not at all working, Metro apps return with error

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu, cortana not at all working, Metro apps return with error: Ever since 10130 came out I've had this problem where you simply cant access the start menu or Cortana. Running edge or the store returns with an error from explorer.exe claiming that it's an invalid value for the registry. Looking in other places, I found a solution...