Windows 10: Start Menu Customization

Discus and support Start Menu Customization in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Is there a way to put custom items here instead of a full list of programs in my PC? sort of winows 7 style? https://i.imgur.com/LVdbxwY.png 66926 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Relax, Oct 14, 2016.

1. Relax Win User

Start Menu Customization

Is there a way to put custom items here instead of a full list of programs in my PC? sort of winows 7 style? https://i.imgur.com/LVdbxwY.png

:)

Relax, Oct 14, 2016

2. Start Menu Customization

Option 1: Run Start menu troubleshooter

http://aka.ms/diag_StartMenu

Option 2: Restart Windows Explorer

1. Windows Key+X

2. Click Task Manager

3. Head to Processes tab and select Windows Explorer.

4. Right click > Click Restart.

Option 3: Create a New User Account

1. Press Windows key + I to open up Settings.

2. Head to Accounts and choose Family & Other Users.

3. Select Add someone else to this PC under Other Users.

4. Select I don't have this person's sign-in information.

5. Select Add a user without a Microsoft account.

6. Create the user and select Next.

7. Make the new account an administrator account.

8. Under Other users, select the new user account you created, and then select Change account type.

9. Select Administrator, and then select OK

Option 4: Reinstall Display Driver

Windows Key + X

Click Device Manager

Expand Display adapters

Right click the current display adapter

Click Uninstall

Exit Device Manager

Reboot your computer

Option 5: Restart Cortana

Windows Key+X (Or right click on Start)

Click Task Manager

Go to Process tab

Find Cortana

Right Click on it and END

Reboot your computer

Option 6: Reinstall Cortana

Windows Key+X

Click Powershell(Admin)

Copy the below and paste into Powershell

Get-AppXPackage -Name Microsoft.Windows.Cortana | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

Reboot your computer

Option 7: Check your third party Antivirus

Update your AV to the latest

Temporarily uninstall / disable AV

Option 8: Run SFC and DISM to check and repair Windows files

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/for...

Option 9 - If nothing works, perform Windows 10 repair upgrade

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/wiki...

E for Excel, Oct 14, 2016
  3. SubsInc Win User
    Start Menu Customization

Windows 10, will not let me customize the start menu. Crashes when I move apps around the screen.

Moved from Windows / Windows 10 / Windows settings

SubsInc, Oct 14, 2016
  4. Edwin New Member

Start Menu Customization

In a manner of speaking, yes.
    Basically you need to create custom shortcuts in the folders that the originals reside in:
    C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs
    and
    C:\Users\your user name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

Start Menu Customization [​IMG]

Edwin, Oct 14, 2016
  5. dalchina New Member
    Best to use Classic Shell (free) if you want something like Win 7 that lets you use subfolders in the way you're used to and manipulate the start menu by drag 'n drop.

(You can still use the Win 10 start menu as well).

dalchina, Oct 14, 2016
  6. Bree New Member
    If you want to stick with using the standard Windows 10 Start, try going to Settings/Personalisation/Start and turn on 'show most used apps'. You can also pin apps to Start as tiles then organise them into groups, not quite what you asked for - but just as useful.

7. Relax Win User
    What symbol are u using to make them appear on top of the list?

Relax, Oct 15, 2016
  8. Edwin New Member

Start Menu Customization

Alt+5 = ♣
    Alt+3 = ♥
    Alt+7 = • etc...
    they may form a different hierarchy on your system, just play around with them.
    (Glad you noticed!) *Wink

Edwin, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Start Menu Customization

1. Start Menu Customization - Similar Threads - Start Menu Customization

2. Start menu customization

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start menu customization: Alright, this may be a double or triple question, but I am seeking consistency within my desktop layout. Currently, I have the TranslucentTB app downloaded from the Windows Store, and it works like a charm. However, my start menu is not translucent as well ... which is kind...
  3. Start menu customization

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start menu customization: Alright, this may be a double or triple question, but I am seeking consistency within my desktop layout. Currently, I have the TranslucentTB app downloaded from the Windows Store, and it works like a charm. However, my start menu is not translucent as well ... which is kind...
  4. Customizing Start Menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    Customizing Start Menu: [ATTACH] When I move or delete items in this folder^ the start menu doesn't change even when I reboot https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/customizing-start-menu/379fa108-dbbf-417e-a444-dfcdf48a0768
  5. Customizing Start Menu

Customizing Start Menu: When I try to edit start menu in Explorer it does let me make changes but my changes are not reflected on the start menu. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/customizing-start-menu/0733cd6f-d942-4239-b4af-4d778204fb8e
  6. Customize Start Menu

Customize Start Menu: Greetings, Is it possible to customize the Start menu? Specifically, I want to move "Notification Manager for Acrobat Reader" to a custom folder. I was able to create an Adobe folder: %ProgramData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Adobe Normally, I can...
  7. Start Menu Customization

Start Menu Customization: Hi all If this post is a repeat of an existing topic, I apologize, I couldn't find anything in my searches. I'm trying to customize the Windows 10 start menu and I'm running into an issue with grouped boxes (the icons boxes created by placing one icon on top of another,...
  8. Customizing the Start Menu

Customizing the Start Menu: Is there a way to customize the Start Menu so I can remove the ABC letters & also place shortcuts into folders? What I mean is this: In 7, after I install a program, I can R-click the Orb & select (If I remember correctly) Properties or Open Windows Explorer. Opening Windows...
  9. Start Menu Customization

Start Menu Customization: Hi, I want like Windows 7, I see the file shortcuts (not folders) at the top of start menu rather than in its alphabet folder. I also want to disable showing alphabets A~Z and just show folders sorted by name. Is that possible without using a 3rd party application?...
  10. pin to start menu customizations

pin to start menu customizations: Where are start menu tiles (pinned shortcuts) stored? I can't find them. I want to customize the start menu and back it up to deploy elsewhere. 12877