Windows 10: Start menu & desktop icons won't work after Win 10 Automatic update

Discus and support Start menu & desktop icons won't work after Win 10 Automatic update in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hey, I upgraded to Windows 10 about a month ago. Two days ago my computer is all the sudden automatically downloading some Massive update that took a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Dagnabbit, Dec 21, 2015.

1. Dagnabbit Win User

Start menu & desktop icons won't work after Win 10 Automatic update

Hey, I upgraded to Windows 10 about a month ago. Two days ago my computer is all the sudden automatically downloading some
    Massive update that took a long time and rebooted my computer without prompting me.

After the download was complete I was able to use my computer seemingly as normal, but upon the next restart, the start menu wouldn't open, and the mouse wouldn't click on any of the icons. I tried a restart and got two pop up error messages saying something like "Windows failed to start properly." I tried a hard reboot a coupe times, same thing.

Google searched the problem, found this and followed the steps: How to fix Windows 10 start-up problems - Blackscreen, Bootloop, Infinite Loading [HD 60FPS] - YouTube

No luck. Now every time I boot up my computer it goes to the "automatic repair screen."

I have tried every option available from the "automatic repair screen" menu, including System Restore: because I just downloaded Windows 10, I had no restore points. System Image Recovery: it says have no image to recover). Start Up Repai: tells me Windows can't repair the problem. Command Prompt: I've been able to get in there but I don't really know what to do once there (tried what was suggested in the video above, no luck, everything was already set to zero) Startup Settings:WAS working, I was able to start up in Safemode once, still couldn't click anything and start menu still wouldn't work. Now when I click on Startup Settings and click the restart button to get to the Startup options it just brings me back to the "automatic repair screen" ...I think I've rebooted so many times at this point that my computer can't reboot without taking me there.

I've even tried the "reset this PC" option multiple times and every time it starts to reset, gets to 1% or 2% and then I get an error message saying something went wrong and the PC can't be reset. I'm at my wits end, and would be amenable to any helpful suggestions. Thanks.

:)

Dagnabbit, Dec 21, 2015
  2. MBryson Win User

Update KB4038788

This update was automatically installed last week and since then I have been unable to access the Windows Start Menu or Action Centre. After searching for similar issues on this site I carried out all the advice
    that had been posted but with no luck.

In my frustration I then decided to uninstall the update and to my sanity the Start Menu and Action Centre icons worked. Unfortunately the update automatically uploaded again overnight and both the Start Menu and Action Centre icons are no longer working.

I read that KB40338788 was supposed to correct a problem with the Start Menu but I never had an issue until this update. Until this issue is resolved how can I stop automatic updates on my home PC?

Regards,

Moved from: Windows/Windows 10/Desktop, Start, & personalization/PC

MBryson, Dec 21, 2015
  3. Lost the Start Screen and Start Menu after upgrade to Win 10

I am running on HP Pav. 500 series Tower.

When I upgraded to Win10 initially, Start Menu was working but after only a couple of days and automatic updates I have completely lost the Start Menu.

Left click on the Win icon in the very bottom left of screen it changes colour with a very brief 'blue time circle' (fraction of a second) then nothing happens.

Win icon on keyboard also does nothing.

Desktop all seems fine.

Basically I cannot access the Start Menu or Screen

ChristopherRawle, Dec 21, 2015
Thema:

Start menu & desktop icons won't work after Win 10 Automatic update

1. Start menu & desktop icons won't work after Win 10 Automatic update - Similar Threads - Start menu desktop

2. Start menu won't automatically close

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start menu won't automatically close: Hello ,i have an issue with the start menu , i always press windows key and start searching something with typing when i find the folder i need i press enter before this issue start menu was closing and i could use the keyboard to move in the folder to choose what pdf i need...
  3. Start menu won't automatically close

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start menu won't automatically close: Hello ,i have an issue with the start menu , i always press windows key and start searching something with typing when i find the folder i need i press enter before this issue start menu was closing and i could use the keyboard to move in the folder to choose what pdf i need...
  4. Start Menu won't open on Win 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start Menu won't open on Win 10: Hi all, I am using Win 10 on a HP All in One desktop. I cannot open the Start menu on the left side of the screen. The icon is there but when I click on it there's a little flash that says " Start" & nothing happens. I can right click it & it shows a list of options including...
  5. Start Menu won't open on Win 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start Menu won't open on Win 10: Hi all, I am using Win 10 on a HP All in One desktop. I cannot open the Start menu on the left side of the screen. The icon is there but when I click on it there's a little flash that says " Start" & nothing happens. I can right click it & it shows a list of options including...
  6. Start Menu won't open on Win 10

7. Win 10 Start Menu icons

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Win 10 Start Menu icons: Where can i find the path of the file explorer icon that is displayed in the windows start menu? I already extracted every icon possible with programs like iconsext but had no luck. This is the only one i couldn't find, at least that i am aware of. I hope someone can...
  8. Win 10 Start Menu icons not updating

Win 10 Start Menu icons not updating: Hello, I have a stupid problem. Yesterday I uninstalled office 2013 and installed Office 2019. I have the new icons on my desktop and on the start menu. but not when I search using the windows button. I am trying to update the icon in the search result when I press the...
  9. Win 10 Start Menu icons not updating

Win 10 Start Menu icons not updating: Hi, I've changed icons of Office 2019 applications to the new ones and they show correctly on the list of programs on the left site of the menu. However, when I 'pin to start' an application (e.g. Word or Excel) the icons of the tiles on the right hand side are shown as...
  10. Win key/desktop win icon won't open start screen

in Windows 10 Support
    Win key/desktop win icon won't open start screen: HP Spectre 360 2 in 1, win 10 pro 64 bit with 8Gb memory. Trying to go to the start screen from desktop when I click the lower left win icon or tap the win key nothing happens. I believe it started happening after fall creators update. Strange part is: it is intermittent; I...