Windows 10: start menu does not go away

Discus and support start menu does not go away in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; i click on the start icon and the start menu appears. i click on the tile for the program i want to use and the program opens, but the start menu does... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ydaltak, Aug 12, 2016.

1. ydaltak Win User

start menu does not go away

i click on the start icon and the start menu appears. i click on the tile for the program i want to use and the program opens, but the start menu does not go away (i have to click on it to make it go away). i think it used to disappear when the program opens. am i wrong? is there a setting i need to change?

:)

ydaltak, Aug 12, 2016

2. Start Menu will not go away

My start screen still won't go away even after I tried all the suggested solutions! It is really annoying.

------......................., Aug 12, 2016
  3. jenna420 Win User
    Start Menu will not go away

hello i think you might have switched the screen mode so usually most keyboards have a button mine is on the f10 button it shows like two little screens one black and one white click on that button and a screen should pop up showing "PROJECT' YOUR GOING
    TO WANT TO CLICK on the option that says "PC ONLY" and that should resolve the issue , and that and or going all the way to the bottom right corner of your start menu and click that let the menu
    pop up and look for what says tablet mode and exist turn of the tablet mode !

jenna420, Aug 12, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, it should disappear.

Simplest way forward:
    Do you have any restore points you can use to restore your system to a recent date before this started to happen?
    Or disk or system images? (Disk imaging is something everyone should use routinely to save their PC, their data and their sanity in many cases- all without technical help).

dalchina, Aug 12, 2016
  5. ydaltak Win User
    i'm sorry to say i have never done a restore point or disk imaging. shame on me! i've only had this computer for 4 months and the problem is about 3 weeks old. any other suggestions? (i will look into the disk imaging for sure.)

ydaltak, Aug 12, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    I assume you bought the PC with Win 10 and upgraded to the anniversary build.
    So for example, did the problem start after you did the upgrade?
    If not, can you think of any changes you made before the problem started?

Note: if you upgraded more than 10 days ago, you don't have the opportunity to roll back. When did you upgrade to the anniversary build, assuming you did so?

dalchina, Aug 13, 2016
  7. ydaltak Win User
    i'm pretty sure this did start happening after i updated to the anniversary build, but i don't remember the exact date.

ydaltak, Aug 13, 2016
  8. dalchina New Member

If you have Windows.old on C: you can roll back. But time is against you.. supposed to be only 10 days.
    Otherwise - and worth trying:
    - what happens in safe mode?
    - if it works there, what happens after a clean boot?
    - what happens if you create a new user for test purposes, and log in as that new user?

Any of those working suggests a process of elimination may work.
    Also search for other experience of this of course for ideas.

dalchina, Aug 13, 2016
  9. ydaltak Win User
    in safe mode, the start menu acts properly. after i rebooted, it was back to not going away when it should. i'll try setting up a new user and see what happens. thanks for your help!

ydaltak, Aug 13, 2016
  10. mrgeek Win User
    "in safe mode, the start menu acts properly. after i rebooted, it was back to not going away when it should. i'll try setting up a new user and see what happens."

Creating a new Local User w/o admin rights may help, if only to confirm that one of your programs is the culprit. If it works alright in safe mode, then one of your programs or drivers (not loaded in safe mode) is the issue. After you do normal reboot, if you have a 3rd party antivirus, disable it and see if that works. If not, re-enable and try disabling something you've installed recently, or the process associated with it. Good Luck

mrgeek, Aug 13, 2016
  11. ydaltak Win User
    i created a new user and the start menu was acting correctly. i deleted the new user account, and now whenever i boot up i have to enter in my password, which i did not have to do before and would rather not do every time. my user account is the administrator. frustrated....

ydaltak, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. start menu does not go away - Similar Threads - start menu does

2. Store logo does not go away

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Store logo does not go away: Store logo still showing for couple of minutes now and not showing the main page. I cant access it even I run reset and run the troubleshooter of Store. I'm just using this yesterday without problem....
  3. Store logo does not go away

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Store logo does not go away: Store logo still showing for couple of minutes now and not showing the main page. I cant access it even I run reset and run the troubleshooter of Store. I'm just using this yesterday without problem....
  4. Store logo does not go away

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
  5. Preparing automatic repair does not go away

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Preparing automatic repair does not go away: When I boot up my PC, it gets stuck at the asus screen saying "preparing automatic repair". Waiting does not work, I tried reinstalling windows, it did not work either. I also updated bios, tried booting from a different drive that just had windows installed. Thought this...
  6. Preparing automatic repair does not go away

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Preparing automatic repair does not go away: When I boot up my PC, it gets stuck at the asus screen saying "preparing automatic repair". Waiting does not work, I tried reinstalling windows, it did not work either. I also updated bios, tried booting from a different drive that just had windows installed. Thought this...
  7. Preparing automatic repair does not go away

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Number badge in "All programs" section of the Start menu wont go away

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Number badge in "All programs" section of the Start menu wont go away: [ATTACH] Just finished building my new PC, with fresh windows install. In my start menu, on the left side, where you can select pinned tiles, all apps, etc., there is a little number badge (saying "1") on the "all apps" button. It does this when you have a new app...
  9. the volume bar does not go away

in Windows 10 Customization
    the volume bar does not go away: so this has benn like this sice the beggining i think but i just noticed it now [ATTACH] and i it does not go away https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-volume-bar-does-not-go-away/070c5aa1-152c-4c83-acf1-6905f845c923
  10. Why won't this Start Menu/Programs folder go away?!

in Windows 10 Support
    Why won't this Start Menu/Programs folder go away?!: I maintain a customised Start menu and have the folders under "Programs" renamed and re-ordered in categories that are meaningful to me. But Windows 10 keeps changing it; specifically, the "Windows Administrative Tools" folder. I have that folder nested under "System" but...