Windows 10: Start menu does not open after Power Shell Command

Discus and support Start menu does not open after Power Shell Command in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; So my mail app was not opening links. So I looked up how to reinstall the mail app. Got to this: http://www.howtogeek.com/224798/how-...stall-window...... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by errorproxy, Jan 5, 2016.

1. Start menu does not open after Power Shell Command

So my mail app was not opening links. So I looked up how to reinstall the mail app. Got to this: http://www.howtogeek.com/224798/how-...stall-window...

I uninstalled the apps, then ran the powershell command: Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers| Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register “$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml”} to reinstall the mail app.

A bunch of red errors appeared in the prompt and now my start menu, notifications, onedrive,... won't work.

How do I restore these functions? sfc also does not work in Powershell but does work in CMD. Also, it does nothing.

:)

errorproxy, Jan 5, 2016
  2. Linney Win User

Problem with Windows 10

What happens when you press the Windows Key on the Keyboard? Does the Start Menu open up?

Also do you get the RUN box to appear if you press the Windows Key + R

How To: Open Windows 10 Settings Using Shell Commands

How To: Open Windows 10 Settings Using Shell Commands

Troubleshoot problems opening the Start menu or Cortana:

Troubleshoot problems opening the Start menu or Cortana

[FIX] Your Start Menu Isn’t Working. We’ll Try To Fix It The Next Time You Sign In.

[FIX] Your Start Menu Isn't Working. We'll Try To Fix It The Next Time You Sign In.

Linney, Jan 5, 2016
  3. sichpal Win User
    File explorer does not open in Windows 10.

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem on Win 10. I recently upgraded from Win 7 64-bit.

The File Explorer does not open. I tried the following:

- Clicking on File Explorer Icon on taskbar.

- Typing C:\Windows\explorer.exe on Run prompt.

The screen flashes for 5 seconds and then nothing happens. File explorer does not open.

While trying various things to solve the problem. I tried changing the screen resolution from 1600x900 to 1440x900.

Apparently, I was able to open File Explorer without any issues in this screen resolution. But then, I noticed other apps i.e. Start Menu, Store, Internet Explorer, was not opening up in this screen resolution. Then I followed some other article which had
    a Power shell command (apologies, I missed to save that article). It ran for a while and after that I was able to open Start menu etc.

Also, I had created couple of more user accounts, everything worked fine when I logged as other users.

So, basically, I got 2 workarounds to this problem:

1. Changing the screen resolution.

2. Login as other user.

P.S. : Changing the screen resolution from 1440x900 to 1600x900 recreates the problem (strange behavior with a specific screen resolution).

I'll try to search and post the URL of the article which had the Power shell command to fix the issue (after changing the screen resolution) with Start menu, IE, Store etc.. the command actually fixed all other issues with Start menu, IE, Store etc. but
    did not fix issue with File Explorer.

I hope this issue will be fixed in upcoming Windows 10 updates.

Thanks.

sichpal, Jan 5, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Start menu does not open after Power Shell Command

Hi, unfortunately this seems to be a known bug which MS is puzzled about (from what I read elsewhere) and this is the typical consequence of running this command.

Two options:
    1. restore from your most recent disk image. (Everyone needs to use disk imaging - Aomei Backupper or Macrium Reflect - both free - a lesson only learnt after some suffering for too many people, alas).

If you don't use disk imaging (yet) then

2. In place upgrade repair install using a Win 10 installation medium
    (See Tutorials for a guide if unsure).

dalchina, Jan 5, 2016
Thema:

Start menu does not open after Power Shell Command

1. Start menu does not open after Power Shell Command - Similar Threads - Start menu does

2. power shell command issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    power shell command issue: to complete my assigned work i need to do this but how many times iam trying to execute that dism.exe command it is showing the same error even after changing the environment variables. I changed my bios settings to visualization as enabled....
  3. power shell command issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    power shell command issue: to complete my assigned work i need to do this but how many times iam trying to execute that dism.exe command it is showing the same error even after changing the environment variables. I changed my bios settings to visualization as enabled....
  4. Power Shell Command

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Power Shell Command: After I sign in to power shell as admin and run my sign on info I then use this command: It works but does not give me Job Title information. The column is there but the data is not. Should I be using a different command?Get-User -ResultSize Unlimited select...
  5. Power Shell Command

Power Shell Command: After I sign in to power shell as admin and run my sign on info I then use this command: It works but does not give me Job Title information. The column is there but the data is not. Should I be using a different command?Get-User -ResultSize Unlimited select...
  6. Open shell menu

Open shell menu: Anyone know if Open Shell Menu will work in win 11 ? 181208
  7. Insert Separator into Open Shell Start Menu?

Insert Separator into Open Shell Start Menu?: Windows 10 20H2 I'm not sure how to check the version number of Open Shell that's running on my system. In the help file it says "Version 4.3.1 general release." I'd like to insert a separator line into the Open Shell Start Menu. I was warned against posting in the Open Shell...
  8. Open Shell: Change Start Menu Colors?

Open Shell: Change Start Menu Colors?: Hi, I'm new to Windows 10 and haven't been able to make sense of the its Start menu, so I just installed Open Shell. The default Start menu has white letters on a black background, which is hard on my aging eyeballs. I'd like to change it to black letters on a light gray...
  9. A shell command? How does that work?

A shell command? How does that work?: DaveM121 showed (https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/apps_windows_10-winapps-appscat_tools/solvedhow-can-i-run-timeexe-from-a-command-prompt/06ae47c8-47b7-4207-9c34-26b3d714b6d2) that, if I want to run this: "C:\Program...
  10. Start Menu does not open after uninstall of Classic Shell

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu does not open after uninstall of Classic Shell: After uninstalling Classic Shell, my start menu on Windows 10 build [Version 10.0.15063] (which is what Command Prompt tells me) decided to no longer function. I have been using this computer for over a year, while Classic Shell has been installed for the past 6 months....