Windows 10: start menu doesn't work on OS cloned with Aomei

Discus and support start menu doesn't work on OS cloned with Aomei in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I am trying to clone a 760GB Western Digital HDD to a Sandisk Ultra 500GB SSD using Aomei Backer Upper. I use the disk clone option, not the OS option.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by hfffoman, Jan 5, 2018.

1. hfffoman Win User

start menu doesn't work on OS cloned with Aomei

I am trying to clone a 760GB Western Digital HDD to a Sandisk Ultra 500GB SSD using Aomei Backer Upper. I use the disk clone option, not the OS option. The original drive had 40% free and the clone went smoothly leaving 10% free on the SSD. I can boot into Windows 10 ok and it seems to work except that left clicking on the start menu doesn't work. Right clicking on the startmenue works as normal. I tried removing the original HDD before booting from the new disc and I also tried keeping the original disc in place and using BIOS to boot from the SSD. The original installation works fine with a trouble free start menu.

Before cloning I disabled hibernation, restore, and moved the pagefile to another disc. I thought the page file might have been the problem as the other disc got relabelled. However, I repeated the whole cloning process with the page file moved back to C: and got exactly the same results.

If anyone thinks they can look into this, let me know what info you need and I will post back. Thanks.

:)

hfffoman, Jan 5, 2018

2. From one hard drive to another

Try AOMEI Backupper Standard, a freeware. It has a feature called System Clone, which will clone OS to SSD. it will check if the ssd has enough space for the clone. As long as your ssd have enough space for the data on the
    system drive(C: drive), it will successfully clone your OS to your ssd. more detials:

Freeware to Migrate Windows 10/8/7 OS to SSD/HDD without Reinstalling

Youngwarlord, Jan 5, 2018
  3. Disk clone made both of my drives stop working

I use Aomei Disk clone on my Lenovo and it works great.

OctavianQR, Jan 5, 2018
  4. hfffoman Win User

Here's some more information:

From Drive Manager after booting from original drive (ignoring irrelevant drives):

Disc 1 (the SSD)
    E: 465GB NTFS F: 975MB NTFS
    Healthy (Active, Primary Partition) Healthy (Primary Partition)

Disc 3 (the original WD drive)

C: 698GB NTFS [no letter] 464MB
    Healthy (System, Boot, Page File, Healthy (Recovery Partition)
    Active, Crash Dump, Primary Partition)

After booting from the new drive:

Disc 1
    C: 465GB NTFS F: 975MB NTFS
    Healthy (System, Boot, Page File, Healthy (Primary Partition)
    Active, Crash Dump, Primary Partition)

Disc 3

E: 698GB NTFS [no letter] 464MB
    Healthy (Active, Primary Partition) Healthy (Recovery Partition)

hfffoman, Jan 8, 2018
  5. Samuria Win User
    Welcome to the forum. It look like you didn't clone the disk only the partition you need to clone the whole disk with system reserved and recovery

Samuria, Jan 8, 2018
  6. hfffoman Win User
    Thanks for the suggestion. I will have another go but I think Aomei only gives a single option. You select the source drive and it's supposed to clone it all. That suggests maybe I should try some different cloning software.

hfffoman, Jan 8, 2018
  7. You can't technically "clone" a 760GB drive to a 500GB drive -- because "cloning" means making an EXACT copy, and you can't do that when the target drive is smaller than the source drive.

So, the partition sizes are getting SHRUNK in the process -- and maybe that resizing operation is hosing up the boot!

My suggestion is to do the following:
    1) Remove stuff and shrink down the largest partition on the large disk until the sum of all the partitions is 10% less than 500GB.
    2) Use Macrium Reflect to then "clone" the large disk onto the small disk. Since the partitions are already small enough to all fit, there will be no resizing in the process.

The details are as follows:
    1) Download and install Macrium Reflect (MR)
    2) Connect the new drive to the PC using a USB-to-Hard-Drive drive adapter (like the one illustrated below)
    3) Follow the instructions in this link: http://knowledgebase.macrium.com/dis...Cloning+a+disk
    4) Shutdown the PC when done
    5) Swap the drives and reboot the PC.

Good Luck

Mark Phelps, Jan 8, 2018
  8. hfffoman Win User

Thanks for this detailed suggestion. I reduced the space used on the source drive but Windows won't let me shrink the partition because of "immovable files". This is apparently a common problem to which the solution is to remove hiberfil.sys, pagefile, and restore. I did those things and Windows still won't let me shrink the partition.

hfffoman, Jan 8, 2018
  9. Word Man Win User
    Two options -

1) You can use Macrium to clone and resize the C: partition on the fly, i.e., in the process of setting up the clone operation you can have Macrium shrink the C: partition so all of the partitions on source disk will fit on the destination disk. See more here: https://knowledgebase.macrium.com/di...Cloning+a+disk (Note Step 4 in particular) I've done this myself and no hosing occurred.

2) Use a 3rd party partition, e.g., free version of Mini Tool Partition Wizard to resize the C: partition.

Disk Management in Windows can be limited in that way.

Word Man, Jan 8, 2018
  10. hfffoman Win User
    Thanks. I did this and it worked exactly as suggested. Problem solved.

hfffoman, Jan 12, 2018
  11. hfffoman Win User
    Thanks also to Mark

hfffoman, Jan 12, 2018
  12. hfffoman Win User
    I spoke too soon. The cloning with Macrium produces identical looking partitions for the original and the new drive, but the system has reverted to not responding to left click on start. It must be something to do with the cloning because the original installation has no such problem, but I can't see what can be wrong with the cloning. Again I have tested it with the original drive in place and with it disconnected.

hfffoman, Jan 12, 2018
  13. Callender Win User

Callender, Jan 12, 2018
  14. hfffoman Win User
    hfffoman, Jan 12, 2018
  15. Callender Win User
    Okay it was worth a shot.

Callender, Jan 12, 2018
Thema:

1. start menu doesn't work on OS cloned with Aomei - Similar Threads - start menu doesn't

2. Start menu search doesn't work

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start menu search doesn't work: Hi,I'm using windows 11 21H1 with the latest updates I received, but lately, my laptop is behaving strangely when I try to search using the start menu it closes the start menu by it self. I haven't installed any new software or changed anything in the settings or registry it...
  3. Start menu search doesn't work

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start menu search doesn't work: Hi,I'm using windows 11 21H1 with the latest updates I received, but lately, my laptop is behaving strangely when I try to search using the start menu it closes the start menu by it self. I haven't installed any new software or changed anything in the settings or registry it...
  4. Gettings SSD to Boot, Cloned with AOMEI

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Gettings SSD to Boot, Cloned with AOMEI: So I have a bit of HDD spaghetti I need to sort out so I felt it best to clone my windows 10 drive to an SSD as I will be transferring it to new hardware (also a dell). Ive attached a screenshot of my current disk management screen on the original/old computer. Disk 0 is an...
  5. Scrolling doesn't work in start menu.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Scrolling doesn't work in start menu.: Two finger scrolling gesture on trackpad doesn't work in start menu. It works in other apps like Edge etc. But not in start menu. I have Lenovo ideapad 320e with elan trackpad drivers. Windows 10 (1909) submitted by /u/Orion_001 [link] [comments]...
  6. Transparency on Start Menu doesn't work

in Windows 10 Customization
    Transparency on Start Menu doesn't work: Windows 10 1909 When i restart my laptop, or wake it from Sleep, my Start Menu loses its Transparency Effectjust Black. I found that if i shutdown -> start my laptop, it works again. But after restart it or wake it, it loses transparency again. I have tried modifying...
  7. Critical: Start menu doesn't work

in Windows 10 Customization
    Critical: Start menu doesn't work: I have been using windows 10 from past 6 months and from from few days, the start menu doesn't show anything. Clicking on the icon or by pressing the button. Nothing happens. Start menu is too basic and now its not working in a new OS. I have contacted for a support...
  8. Scrolling doesn't work on Start Menu

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Scrolling doesn't work on Start Menu: It happened when I got the April update last year and since then I didn't search for a solution. But here's the issue scrolling works perfectly everywhere on my system except when I open the Start Menu scrolling doesn't work on it and I have to use the scroll bar on the side...
  9. BSOD when AOMEI Backupper starts

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD when AOMEI Backupper starts: Have had two occurrences of this BSOD but since the AOMEI product has previously been running for quite some time with no problem I think this was triggered by something else. I suspect that it has something to do with the "sleep" facility used by aVast Clean Up. 112535
  10. Start menu shortcuts doesn't work

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu shortcuts doesn't work: After installing Creators Update, programs shortcuts already uninstalled continues to show on start menu. For example, I uninstalled Forza Motorsport 6, and if I type "Forza..." in the start menu, the shortcut appears and if I click nothing happens, either with the left...