Windows 10: Start menu is shy; it's hiding behind the taskbar

Discus and support Start menu is shy; it's hiding behind the taskbar in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi. Today, out of the blue, my start menu has started to hide behind the taskbar. It's rather annoying, as the area you type in is obscured by the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Strahan, Nov 27, 2017.

1. Strahan Win User

Start menu is shy; it's hiding behind the taskbar

Hi. Today, out of the blue, my start menu has started to hide behind the taskbar. It's rather annoying, as the area you type in is obscured by the taskbar now so I cannot see what is being typed:

Start menu is shy; it's hiding behind the taskbar [​IMG]

I rebooted, no dice. Unlocked/relocked the taskbar, no dice. Moved it to the top then moved it back to the bottom, no dice. Any ideas?

:)

Strahan, Nov 27, 2017

2. TaskBar Malfunctioning (AutoHide as well as Task Bar Menu deficiencies)

My Windows 10 Taskbar does not consistently autohide. It will autohide for a while and then stops. Also, the taskbar will not hide behind programs like MS Word when I am typing. I need to see the bottom of the screen and the taskbar blocks my view. When
    I go into the Taskbar Properties and Start Menu to again autohide the taskbar, none of the changes I click (like move taskbar) will work, and it still shows the autohide taskbar box with a checkmark. The only solution is to re-boot until the next time the
    malfunction occurs.

Please help.

Jeremy

Rockyshores2, Nov 27, 2017
  3. Taskbar Hiding Behind Programs

Hi Tamara,

The NVIDIA Local System Container is actually needed if you're installing newer games and want them to add to the GeForce Experience. However, you can disable it if you're not using it. Follow these steps:

• In the Cortana search, type in Services and click it from the search results.
    • Look for the NVIDIA Local System Container service under Services (Local).
    • Double click it to open Properties.
    • Under Service status, click Stop > OK.
    • On the Startup type, select Disabled > Apply > OK.

Once done, try to restart your computer and see if you still encounter the same issue.

Looking forward to hear from you.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Nov 27, 2017
  4. spunk Win User

Right click the Taskbar and Unlock it. Bring your cursor to the top of the taskbar and it should turn into a double sided arrow. Drag the task bar down to the bottom so it's not as high. If this fails, then right cick and unpin a few icons from the taskbar so that it is not so high and taking up so much space.

spunk, Nov 27, 2017
  5. Bree New Member
    I've adjusted my taskbar to look similar to yours. The text box always appears just above the taskbar as soon as I start typing, whatever height I set it to. Doesn't yours?

Can you post a screenshot of the area you type in after you've started typing? You can set a 5 second delay in the Snipping Tool to give you time to click on Start and type something before it captures it.

Start menu is shy; it's hiding behind the taskbar [​IMG]

6. Strahan Win User
    Alas, that's not really a solution that's just working around the issue. It worked fine for months like this, so I'd rather not give up my launch bar if I can avoid it. Thanks though.

Nope. The screenshot is after I've been typing. I realize now it's not just that it's obscuring the text area; the text isn't being accepted at all. I typed "notepad" for example and the start menu didn't update to search as I typed.

Strahan, Nov 27, 2017
  7. Bree New Member
    It's not obscuring the text area at all then. That area doesn't appear until it has accepted the first character that you've typed.

Your problem is that Start is not seeing the typing. As a workaround for now, until we can get a fix for that, right-click on your taskbar and select 'Cortana > Show Cortana icon' (if you have Education there's no Cortana, it will say 'Search > Show search icon'). That will put a Cortana/Search icon on the taskbar next to the Start icon, clicking on it will open the text area for you to type into it. There's also an option to 'Show search box' which puts the search text box permanently on the taskbar.

Or have you been playing around in the registry to try and disable Cortana? If so that may be what's stopped Start from seeing your typing.

8. Strahan Win User

Ahh, thanks. I didn't make a registry change, I had followed a website instructions on renaming a folder in systemapps to prevent it from running. I had no idea Cortana was that involved in operations. Ah well, I just put it back to the way it was and now the start menu allows me to type.

Thanks again!

Strahan, Nov 29, 2017
  9. Bree New Member
    Yes, Cortana is at the heart of the basic Windows Search, best not to disable her entirely. There are plenty of options to neuter most of her prying ways, but completely disabling her can have unforeseen consequences *Smile

10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Start menu is shy; it's hiding behind the taskbar - Similar Threads - Start menu shy

2. Taskbar Hiding Behind Programs

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Taskbar Hiding Behind Programs: Hello!My question concerns the taskbar auto-hide option. I recently found out about this option. Sometimes it works and sometimes it does not. Let me explain.It started with a few programs, such as Google Chrome and Word. When having these programs in full-screen, the taskbar...
  3. Taskbar Hiding Behind Programs

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Taskbar Hiding Behind Programs: Hello!My question concerns the taskbar auto-hide option. I recently found out about this option. Sometimes it works and sometimes it does not. Let me explain.It started with a few programs, such as Google Chrome and Word. When having these programs in full-screen, the taskbar...
  4. Why software bottom hide behind Taskbar what to do

in Windows 10 Customization
    Why software bottom hide behind Taskbar what to do: Some time when I use software the bottom part hide behind the Taskbar therefore, could not use buttons to save or cancel etc. I am using laptop and I think as per Display settings the display size it shows is 1366 x 768 if that matter.Or is there a way when using software I...
  5. How to automatically hide or fully remove taskbar/start menu?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to automatically hide or fully remove taskbar/start menu?: [ATTACH] I am making an arcade machine using Windows 10 and a small computer. I would like to be able to streamline the start up process and overall presentation so that the user sees only a few desktop icons as options for games. I want to essentially hide all of the...
  6. How to automatically hide or fully remove taskbar/start menu?

How to automatically hide or fully remove taskbar/start menu?: I am making an arcade machine using Windows 10 and a small computer. I would like to be able to streamline the start up process and overall presentation so that the user sees only a few desktop icons as options for games. I want to essentially hide all of the other UI....
  7. Taskbar Auto hide option on a custom Start Menu XML File + Hide Clock, Hide Search and Hide...

Taskbar Auto hide option on a custom Start Menu XML File + Hide Clock, Hide Search and Hide...: Hello, I'm Creating a Standard windows Desktop for the computers in my company, so I want to Import a custom Start Menu, and Taskbar along with some group policies. So it's rather easy to deploy a Custom Start Menu and Taskbar, I'm Looking for a rather Clean one, here's my...
  8. A black screen behind the start menu.

A black screen behind the start menu.: As of 4-7-20. every time I click on the start icon I lose my desktop picture and get a black screen behind the start menu? When I click back out again my desktop photo returns. Any suggestions?...
  9. The Desktop Photo Behind The Start Menu?

The Desktop Photo Behind The Start Menu?: I have a solid black screen now when I click on the start button were I used to see the Desk Top photo behind the start menu? HELP! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-desktop-photo-behind-the-start-menu/c133610b-d6c4-41df-a3af-f9ab78f95aa8
  10. Taskbar hides and shows itself after opening start menu.

Taskbar hides and shows itself after opening start menu.: Steps: Using HDMI for a second monitor. Open start menu using the icon. Close start menu using the icon. Click anywhere other than the task bars. (e.g. an open window, the desktop, even the first monitor's desktop) Taskbar on second monitor slides down to be hidden....