Windows 10: Start menu items will not remain sorted by name after renaming

Discus and support Start menu items will not remain sorted by name after renaming in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello ! I'm using windows 10 buid 1511 I have a strange issue : When I install a new program , a shortcut is created on start menu , and this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by tiku, Feb 24, 2016.

1. tiku Win User

Start menu items will not remain sorted by name after renaming

Hello !
    I'm using windows 10 buid 1511
    I have a strange issue :
    When I install a new program , a shortcut is created on start menu , and this shortcut is located correctly according to first letter , for example "Adobe Photoshop CC" , is located under "A" section on start menu.
    But if I rename this shortcut to "Photoshop CC" , the shortcut remain under "A" section and will not go under "P" section as it should be.

There's no option to refresh or re-arrange items on start menu.

How can I resolve this problem ?

Thank you !

:)

2. KEmail Win User

Windows 10 : Start menu items will not remain sorted by name after renaming

Hello !

I'm using windows 10 buid 1511

I have a strange issue :

When I install a new program , a shortcut is created on start menu , and this shortcut is located correctly according to first letter , for example "Adobe Photoshop CC" , is located under "A" section on start menu.

But if I rename this shortcut to "Photoshop CC" , the shortcut remain under "A" section and will not go under "P" section as it should be.

There's no option to refresh or re-arrange items on start menu.

How can I resolve this problem ?

Thank you !

KEmail, Feb 24, 2016
  3. Jessen P Win User
    Windows 10 : Start menu items will not remain sorted by name after renaming

Hi,

Thank you for the update.

The issue could have happened due to some file corruptions. I would request you to perform a SFC scan and check if it helps.

System File Checker is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files. If a Windows Resource Protection (WRP) file is missing or is corrupted, Windows may not behave
    as expected.

Perform SFC(System file Checker) scan and see if it helps.

a: PressWindows key + X.

b: SelectCommand Prompt(Admin).

c: TypeSFC / scannow
    and hit enter.

Jessen P, Feb 24, 2016
  4. Ztruker Win User

How are you renaming it?

Ztruker, Feb 24, 2016
  5. tiku Win User
    Right click on icon , choose "open file location" , after I have renamed the shortcut.
    After that , On start menu the icon is renamed , but remain on the same section as I have explained before.

6. b1rd Win User
    I'm wondering if that might be because the destination file was not changed, only the shortcut. I'm not sure if that matters, but just a thought.

(I should add that I'm using Powershell, so I really can't test with the same set up.)

7. tiku Win User
    Sorry , but this is the only way how can I rename an item on Windows's 10 start menu.
    Do you know another way ?

8. tiku Win User

I have 2 PC with windows 10 that have the same problem.

Searching on internet , I've found this command (on Powershell ) :
    Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "C:\Windows\SystemApps\ShellExperienceHost_cw5n1h2txyewy\AppXManifest.xml"

After executing this command :
    1) On the first Pc , the problem is resolved instantly.
    2) On the second Pc , I've got an error message , and the start menu is completely damaged , all the icons are displayed without icon , and with strange names like internet paths , and are not opening.

To be honest , I don't understand what this command do.
    But maybe another safe method can exists to resolve this problem.

9. SoFine409 Win User
    I've had a similar experience with entries not sorting alphabetically. I created a folder in the start menu called Games with shortcuts to various games. Most of the shortcuts sorted alphabetically but one or two would not no matter how a renamed them.
    Did you try to open the xml file in the powershell command to see what's in it? Maybe that could provide some insight.

SoFine409, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Start menu items will not remain sorted by name after renaming - Similar Threads - Start menu items

2. Start menu shortcuts remain after uninstall programs

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start menu shortcuts remain after uninstall programs: I have two shortcuts on my start menu that will not delete/go away after I uninstalled the programs. I have tried all I can think of short of a registry hack. Anyone have a suggestion?...
  3. Some start menu items' names turn to English after 2004 update.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Some start menu items' names turn to English after 2004 update.: [ATTACH] Only pre-defined folders in "C:\Users\[My Name]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\System Tools" are affected. The start menu entries stored in C:\ProgramData are not affected....
  4. Duplicate start menu item name

Duplicate start menu item name: [IMG]This is a quick question I dont need answered but how could I remove the 1 after the file explorer option or computer on the start menu i got this after the 2004 upgrade...
  5. Deleted Items Remaining in Start Menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Deleted Items Remaining in Start Menu: I have noticed some folders in Start Menu of programmes long deleted, but cannot remove them. Any ideas of how to clean up Start Menu? I found one particular folder of a programme I deleted maybe 5-8 years ago?? Win 19308.1202 155168
  6. Change Desktop icons from Sort by name to Sort by Item type

Change Desktop icons from Sort by name to Sort by Item type: Can someone share with me the registry location of the Desktop icons Sort by? I need to change it in our Default profile. Somehow I changed it to Sort by name and it's should be sort by Item Type before I did a copy profile. If you need additional information, let me know....
  7. Rename item in New context menu

Rename item in New context menu: There are many well descripted sources about how to add/delete item from context menu new – for instance Edit, Add, Remove items from New Context Menu in Windows 10 – but none of them states how to rename such item in reliable way. I found article Change Name/Description...
  8. Rename start menu item Windows 10

Rename start menu item Windows 10: I have installed different versions of an application but they all appear as "ABC application". How can I can name each one uniquely ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/rename-start-menu-item-windows-10/db44fa34-1d71-4466-b7b9-94644bb88dc5
  9. Start menu items...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start menu items...: When I started up, then rechecked the standard News and weather apps. were not working in the START menu. They were working fine yesterday. 110222
  10. Rename Items in All Apps in Windows 10 Start Menu

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Rename Items in All Apps in Windows 10 Start Menu: How to: Rename Items in All Apps in Windows 10 Start Menu How to Rename Items in All Apps in Windows 10 Start Menu All apps in the Start menu displays an alphabetical list of shortcuts to all installed Windows apps and desktop apps on your Windows 10 PC. Some of these...