Windows 10: Start Menu not displaying installed software

Discus and support Start Menu not displaying installed software in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi all, I'm sure that there will be a thread about this somewhere but I've been looking for hours so please forgive me if the answered is down a well... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by bremhillbob, Mar 14, 2018.

1. Start Menu not displaying installed software

Hi all,
    I'm sure that there will be a thread about this somewhere but I've been looking for hours so please forgive me if the answered is down a well trodden path.

Recently updated a Win 10 laptop - it has been dormant for a long time (maybe 2 years+). All was working fine before the upgrades.

Upgrades took a while but all seemed to go well - no reported errors.

When I looked at the start menu for Chrome or Windows (by typing these words into Cortana) I was offered Chrome (1) or Word (1).

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp shows the original items (ie Chrome and Word) with blank icons and the copies (Chrome(1) and Word (1)) with normal icons. The copies work the originals dont.

Looking in the start menu folder (given above) I see that both SYSTEM and ADMINISTRATORS seem to have full control but nothing happens if I try to move an item .... no error just no action. I can delete items though

I notice that the properties for the old (correct?) items shows no path in "Start In" and I cannot therefore open the destination folder.

I've tried creating a new user and then searching for these programs and nothing works but I can prowse to (say) C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office15 and run Winword.exe

I've gone through several procedures that check for missing system files and all report OK.

Any thoughts?

:)

bremhillbob, Mar 14, 2018

2. My start menu icons aren't showing up properly!

I have same problem, the start menu is not working. when you click it , nothing happened. Microsoft edge and store icon are missing on the taskbar.

start menu not working, Mar 14, 2018
  3. Windows 10 Start menu not displaying desktop app icons

Although this answer seemed to really have promise, it did not solve the problem, 'desktop apps' still have no icons, just the little white file icon. This was after doing both method 1 and 2.

Windows 10 seems to run flawlessly aside to this.

GrahamCoulby, Mar 14, 2018
  4. simrick Win User

Start Menu not displaying installed software

simrick, Mar 14, 2018
Thema:

Start Menu not displaying installed software

1. Start Menu not displaying installed software - Similar Threads - Start Menu displaying

2. Software Installer Not Starting

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Software Installer Not Starting: Hi, I was trying to install a software using its exe but it didn't launch please helpWindows 11Version 22H2 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/software-installer-not-starting/7d4b1bea-6280-4f50-a627-b0af3262130a
  3. Software Installer Not Starting

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Software Installer Not Starting: Hi, I was trying to install a software using its exe but it didn't launch please helpWindows 11Version 22H2 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/software-installer-not-starting/7d4b1bea-6280-4f50-a627-b0af3262130a
  4. Software Installer Not Starting

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Software Installer Not Starting: Hi, I am here because everytime I try running my required software exe/installer file it's don't launch please help.Detail of my device:Windows 11Version 22H2...
  5. Software Installer Not Starting

Software Installer Not Starting: Hi, I am here because everytime I try running my required software exe/installer file it's don't launch please help.Detail of my device:Windows 11Version 22H2...
  6. Issues with software not appearing on Start Menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Issues with software not appearing on Start Menu: Hello,We have Windows 11 Edu Pro PC's, they were just Windows 10 Pro when purchased.We use Ergo Free2Teach network and classroom management software, we've had it since we were on Windows 7 back in 2009.I have noticed since Windows 10 that certain areas are not working...
  7. Issues with software not appearing on Start Menu

Issues with software not appearing on Start Menu: Hello,We have Windows 11 Edu Pro PC's, they were just Windows 10 Pro when purchased.We use Ergo Free2Teach network and classroom management software, we've had it since we were on Windows 7 back in 2009.I have noticed since Windows 10 that certain areas are not working...
  8. Start Menu does not display programs

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start Menu does not display programs: My Windows Start Menu does not display a list of programs. When I click on the Windows 10 Logo, an hourglass appears then vanishes. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/start-menu-does-not-display-programs/ddf8764f-4823-45b7-98c7-4f87395ef40c
  9. Icons not Displayed in Start Menu !

in Windows 10 Customization
    Icons not Displayed in Start Menu !: The Icons are not displayed on Start Menu, When I click the Icon It opens the App perfectly and in howermouse it show the Name of the App but it doesn't display the Icon. Any Idea how to get the Icons back ? [img] 26882
  10. Start Menu not displaying All apps

Start Menu not displaying All apps: Performed an upgrade from Windows 8.1. When I select "All apps" from the Start Menu, I notice that not all the apps are displayed. May have found a bug in Windows 10 release. Anyone else having this issue? 10241