Windows 10: Start menu not in alphabetical order

Discus and support Start menu not in alphabetical order in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, I normally organize and rename the shortcuts in the start menu (in the folder ...\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu) to shorter or... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by mrdanielfsch, Apr 20, 2016.

1. Start menu not in alphabetical order

Hello,

I normally organize and rename the shortcuts in the start menu (in the folder ...\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu) to shorter or more memorable names. However, my start menu is not in alphabetical order anymore.

For example: I've renamed "Adobe Photoshop CC 2015" to "Photoshop" and "Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2015" to "Premiere". So, I expect that the programs would be listed under "P" in my start menu, but, they're still on top of my menu, renamed, under the "A" letter.

This process has always worked, until now. Is there something I can do to fix it?

Thank you in advance,

:)

mrdanielfsch, Apr 20, 2016

2. lumia 720 menu

Hi everyone, i am having a small trouble with my 720.

My phones menu is showing application by alphabetic order. Means A is in the top of applications start with alphabet A. And B in the top of app starts with B.

When i buy my phone there where no such alphabets in my menu. It came after 55+ items in the menu. How to remove those A,B,C,D.....Z from menu..? Pls give a solution.

chanchal123, Apr 20, 2016
  3. Lumia 610 alphabetical order in app menu

i have always been using Android. but i think WINDOWS IS SO POOR...there is NO SETTINGS for all. No way to remove index order?? how poor !!!. no way to turn off VIBRATION on touch. i think nokia should start making andriod and get rid of poor windows

deepaklohia---01, Apr 20, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Start menu not in alphabetical order

Hi, I think the problem is that the Win 10 start menu does not behave in the same way as traditional start menus in respect of legacy folder-based menus we're used to.

Many of my 'normal' entries in my start menu aren't even present in the Win 10 start menu. Subfolders (E.g. the folder created by a program I install containing its shortcuts) aren't even shown in the Win 10 start menu.. all the shortcuts under one letter in the start menu are linear- extracted from their folders producing this sort of absurdity:

Start menu not in alphabetical order [​IMG]

That's why I use Classic Shell- which works as I expect.

dalchina, Apr 20, 2016
  5. lx07 Win User
    What I do is create shortcuts with the name I want. These then show up normally in the start menu, sorted correctly and with the name I chose.

What I found is that you need to put the shortcuts in C:\Users\<your name>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu rather than in %programdata% directory. I'm not sure why as either should work but for me (since 10586) only the user account seems to work.

Just putting programs in the start definitely does not work on Windows 10 - you need shortcuts for sure.

If you are interested I use this script to create the requied shortcuts.

You don't need it all but perhaps you can see what I'm doing here - it will create shortcuts for all programs and powershell scripts (running them as admin if required) and stick them in your start menu.

It is a bit annoying to have to do this (and I guess I could use another start menu program instead) but I just like to do things myself sometimes so I know why things are showing up.

Code: # Shortcuts will be created in $ShortcutRoot for programs found in $ExeRoot (except for $Exclusions) $ExeRoot="D:\Users\Hali\OneDrive\Programs\" $ShortcutRoot=$Home + "\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\" $Exclusions = @("gdisk64","nvspbind","StartKiller","UnlockerInject32") $PoShExeRoot="D:\Users\Hali\OneDrive\Programs\Powershell Scripts\" $PoShShortcutRoot=$Home + "\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Powershell Scripts\" $PoShExclusions = @("Sleep Mac Transmission","Wake Mac Transmission","WakeTransmission") $SysinternalsExeRoot="D:\Users\Hali\OneDrive\Programs\SysinternalsSuite\" $SysinternalsShortcutRoot=$Home + "\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\SysinternalsSuite\" $SysinternalsExclusions = @( "accesschk","autorunsc","adrestore","Clockres","Contig","CoreInfo","ctrl2cap","diskext","du","efsdump","FindLinks","handle","hex2dec","junction","ldmdump","listdlls", "livekd","logonsessions","movefile","ntfsinfo","pendmoves","pipelist","procdump","PsExec","psfile","PsGetSid","PsInfo","pskill","pslist","PsLoggedon","psloglist","pspasswd", "psping","PsService","psshutdown","pssuspend","RegDelNull","regjump","RootkitRevealer","ru","sdelete","sigcheck","streams","strings","sysmon","sync","VolumeID","Whois") #---------------------------------------------------------------- # Check set-up #---------------------------------------------------------------- Write-Host "Shortcuts will be created in " -NoNewline; Write-Host $ShortcutRoot -f White Write-Host "for programs found in " -NoNewline; Write-Host $ExeRoot -NoNewline -f White; Write-Host " and " -NoNewline; Write-Host $SysinternalsExeRoot -f White $title="Keep folder structure for shortcuts?" $message="Enter choice" $choices = @( @("Yes", "Keep existing structure"), @("No", "Create Shortcuts in root directory"), @("Exit","Exit") ) $options = @($i=0;$choices | %{New-Object System.Management.Automation.Host.ChoiceDescription "&$i`b$($_[0])", $_[1]; $i++}) $result = $host.ui.PromptForChoice($title, $message, $options, 1) $choice = $choices[$result][0] Switch ($result) { 0 {$Consolidate=$False} 1 {$Consolidate=$True} 2 {exit} } #---------------------------------------------------------------- Function Set-Admin #---------------------------------------------------------------- # Set the Run As Administrator flag ($file) { if (-not (Test-Path $file)) { Write-Host "File not found " -NoNewline -f red; Write-Host "$file" -f red } else { $bytes = [System.IO.File]::ReadAllBytes($file) $bytes[0x15] = $bytes[0x15] -bor 0x20 #set byte 21 (0x15) bit 6 (0x20) ON (Use –bor to set RunAsAdministrator option and –bxor to unset) [System.IO.File]::WriteAllBytes($file, $bytes) Write-Host "Administrator authority granted " -NoNewline -f green; Write-Host "$file" -f White } } #---------------------------------------------------------------- Function Create-Shortcuts #--------------------------------------------------------------- # Create shortcuts for all non-excluded .exe ($ExeRoot,$ShortcutRoot,$Exclusions,$Consolidate,$Recurse) { # Get all program objects if ($Recurse) {$Apps=Get-ChildItem -path $ExeRoot -include @("*.exe","*.ps1") -recurse} else {$Apps=Get-ChildItem -path "$ExeRoot*" -include @("*.exe","*.ps1")} Foreach ($App in $Apps) { $ShortcutName=[io.path]::GetFileNameWithoutExtension($App.FullName)+'.lnk' $IconPath=(Split-Path $App.FullName -parent)+"\"+[io.path]::GetFileNameWithoutExtension($App.FullName)+'.ico' if ($consolidate) { $ShortcutPath=$ShortcutRoot+$ShortcutName } else { $ShortcutPath=([io.path]::ChangeExtension($ShortcutRoot + $App.FullName.SubString($ExeRoot.Length), '.lnk')) } if (Test-Path $ShortcutPath) { Write-Host "Shortcut exists " -NoNewline -f cyan; Write-Host "$ShortcutPath" -f white } elseif ($Exclusions -contains $App.BaseName) { Write-Host " excluded " -NoNewline -f red; Write-Host "$App" -f red } else { # Create directory if required $ShortcutDirectory = Split-Path $ShortcutPath -parent if (-not (Test-Path $ShortcutDirectory )) { New-Item -ItemType Directory -Path $ShortcutDirectory -Force } # Create Shortcut $WshShell=New-Object -ComObject WScript.Shell $Shortcut=$WshShell.CreateShortcut($ShortcutPath) If([io.path]::GetExtension($App.FullName) -eq '.exe') { $Shortcut.TargetPath = $App.FullName } Else { $Shortcut.TargetPath ='%systemroot%\system32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe' $Shortcut.Arguments = '-ExecutionPolicy Bypass -File "'+$App.FullName+'"' } if (Test-Path $IconPath) {$Shortcut.IconLocation = $IconPath} $Shortcut.WorkingDirectory = Split-Path $App.FullName -parent $Shortcut.Save() Write-Host "Shortcut created " -NoNewline -f green; Write-Host $ShortcutPath -f White # Make Powershell shortcuts run as administrator If([io.path]::GetExtension($App.FullName) -eq '.ps1') {Set-Admin $ShortcutPath} } } } Write-Host "EXEs Processed" -f Yellow; Write-Host #---------------------------------------------------------------- # Sysinternals Programs #---------------------------------------------------------------- Create-Shortcuts $SysinternalsExeRoot $SysinternalsShortcutRoot $SysinternalsExclusions $True $False # sync.exe (want to add icon) $WshShell=New-Object -ComObject WScript.Shell $Shortcut=$WshShell.CreateShortcut("$SysinternalsShortcutRoot\sync.lnk") $Shortcut.TargetPath = "$SysinternalsExeRoot\sync.exe" $Shortcut.WorkingDirectory = "$SysinternalsExeRoot" $Shortcut.IconLocation = "%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,217" # (54 accross *4 deep + 1 down = 217 in the dll) $Shortcut.Save() Write-Host "Shortcut created " -NoNewline -f green; Write-Host $SysinternalsShortcutRoot"sync.lnk" -f White # Set various shortcuts to run as Admin Set-Admin "$SysinternalsShortcutRoot`Autoruns.lnk" Set-Admin "$SysinternalsShortcutRoot`procexp.lnk" Set-Admin "$SysinternalsShortcutRoot`Procmon.lnk" Set-Admin "$SysinternalsShortcutRoot`sync.lnk" #---------------------------------------------------------------- # Powershell scripts #---------------------------------------------------------------- Create-Shortcuts $PoShExeRoot $PoShShortcutRoot $PoShExclusions $True $True #---------------------------------------------------------------- # Other Programs #---------------------------------------------------------------- # Get Programs in root Create-Shortcuts $ExeRoot $ShortcutRoot $Exclusions $True $False # Get programs in sub-directories (except Sysinternals) $OtherDirs = Get-ChildItem -path $ExeRoot -dir -exclude "SysinternalsSuite","Powershell Scripts" $SavedShortcutRoot=$ShortcutRoot $SavedExeRoot=$ExeRoot Foreach ($OtherDir in $OtherDirs) { $ExeRoot=$OtherDir.FullName+"\" if (-not $Consolidate) { $ShortcutRoot=$SavedShortcutRoot+$OtherDir.Name+"\" } Create-Shortcuts $ExeRoot $ShortcutRoot $Exclusions $Consolidate $True } $ShortcutRoot=$SavedShortcutRoot $ExeRoot=$SavedExeRoot # Set various shortcuts to run as Admin Set-Admin "$ShortcutRoot`windirstat.lnk" Set-Admin "$ShortcutRoot`TreeSizeFree.lnk" #---------------------------------------------------------------- # Other Shortcuts #---------------------------------------------------------------- $WshShell = New-Object -ComObject WScript.Shell $Shortcut=$WshShell.CreateShortcut("$ShortcutRoot\God Mode.lnk") $Shortcut.TargetPath = $Shortcut.TargetPath = "$env:systemroot\explorer.exe" $Shortcut.Arguments = "shell:::{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}" $Shortcut.Save() Write-Host "Shortcut created " -NoNewline -f green; Write-Host $ShortcutRoot"God Mode.lnk" -f White if (-not(Test-Path "$ShortcutRoot\TN5250")) {New-Item -ItemType Directory -Path "$ShortcutRoot\TN5250" -Force} Copy-Item $ExeRoot\TN5250\PUB1.lnk $ShortcutRoot\TN5250\ Copy-Item $ExeRoot\TN5250\SIASDEV.lnk $ShortcutRoot\TN5250\ Move-Item $ShortcutRoot\TN5250.lnk $ShortcutRoot\TN5250\ #---------------------------------------------------------------- # Rename any odd named #---------------------------------------------------------------- if (Test-Path "$ShortcutRoot\TFC.lnk") {Rename-Item "$ShortcutRoot\TFC.lnk" "$ShortcutRoot\Temp File Cleaner.lnk"} if (Test-Path "$ShortcutRoot\Rapr.lnk") {Rename-Item "$ShortcutRoot\Rapr.lnk" "$ShortcutRoot\Driver Store Explorer.lnk"} Write-Host Read-Host -Prompt "Press Enter to exit"[/quote]

lx07, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Start menu not in alphabetical order

1. Start menu not in alphabetical order - Similar Threads - Start menu alphabetical

2. Desktop icons in alphabetical order

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop icons in alphabetical order: Continuation of: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-icons-in-alphabetical-order/51ec5e2d-7dd2-499d-ac76-d7f1c29418a8This issue has dragged on for decades with the Windows desktop. I get having the "name space" icons in a separate top line group, but...
  3. Desktop icons in alphabetical order

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Desktop icons in alphabetical order: Continuation of: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-icons-in-alphabetical-order/51ec5e2d-7dd2-499d-ac76-d7f1c29418a8This issue has dragged on for decades with the Windows desktop. I get having the "name space" icons in a separate top line group, but...
  4. Disable Alphabetical order in Menu Start

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Disable Alphabetical order in Menu Start: Hi How i can disable in Menu Start Alphabetical order into last instaled programs? 171464
  5. Alphabetical Listing of Apps on Start Menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    Alphabetical Listing of Apps on Start Menu: The alphabetical listing of all apps on the start menu has disappeared and now all i have is an all apps button which then displays icons on the main screen and not the start menu...
  6. bulgarian alphabet wron order

in Windows 10 Customization
    bulgarian alphabet wron order: I'm using windows 10, Greek edition. I've installed also the Bulgarian alphabet but the keys don't correspond to the right letters. There are a lot of common letters between the latin and the bulgarian alphabet. Shouldn't they be at the same place as in English? Is there a...
  7. Pictures (transfers) are not in alphabetic order

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Pictures (transfers) are not in alphabetic order: This may be a dumb question but how do i get all my pictures to be in alphabetic order again after the new update? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/pictures-transfers-are-not-in-alphabetic-order/ebfa7115-80b4-4f08-aaac-ca1c45929889"
  8. REVERSE alphabetical order

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    REVERSE alphabetical order: I have obviously hit some key by mistake and now all my files are listed in REVERSE alphabetical order. What key did I hit and how do I get back? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/reverse-alphabetical-order/55287b16-0c81-4ad4-9f28-82ead3c88328"
  9. Alphabets in my Start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Alphabets in my Start menu: Hi, Curious if anybody knows of a way to turn off the Alphabet letters in the start menu. I know if I click on them they bring up all of the letters and it lets' me get to the letter in question but I've got a hyperscroll mouse so it only takes one flick to get from one...
  10. Is it possible sort the start menu tiles alphabetically?

in Windows 10 Support
    Is it possible sort the start menu tiles alphabetically?: This has been a long standing issue for me in Windows 10 so I am wondering if there is a trick or some 3rd party program that will allow you to sort a section of tiles alphabetically like you would do with a folder in explorer. For example, I have a tile folder called Games...