Windows 10: Start menu not opening anymore (build 10240)

Discus and support Start menu not opening anymore (build 10240) in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, this problem makes me mad. I made clean Windows 10 (build 10240) install five times, and five times after some time my Start menu had vanished.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Franz Ferdinand, Jul 29, 2015.

1. Start menu not opening anymore (build 10240)

Hello, this problem makes me mad. I made clean Windows 10 (build 10240) install five times, and five times after some time my Start menu had vanished. Simply it doesn't open neither by Win key nor by mouse click on Window icon. Now I won't go into 6th clean install as it is clear that after a while Start menu would disappear again. So this is not way to go.
    I've searched a bit about this issue and found that same problem existed on technical preview builds. I applied all listed workarounds but Start menu is still dead

- PowerShell command Code: Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}[/quote] - Registry edit Code: CURRENT_USER>Software>Microsoft>Windows>CurrentVersion>Explorer>Advance>EnableXamlStartMenu = 0[/quote] Afaik In the meantime between working and non-working Start I didn't make any radical system changes nor user hacks to system so the problem is all the more surprising for me. I'd really appreciate a solution that would bring my menu back (since without it the OS control is significantly diminished) or maybe someone other had met the same problem (on final build) too.

:)

Franz Ferdinand, Jul 29, 2015

2. Start Menu not usable same with search in the task bar.

I cannot open the Start Menu and taskbar. Using Windows 10 build 10240.

Akshat Kejriwal, Jul 29, 2015
  3. Darkening of startscreen on Windows 10

Hi.

I have been facing a problem on Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit (Build 10240), the problem is that in when I press the start button, the start menu opens as it should, but occasionally, it opens but the tiles, theme etc. of the start menu gets darker. It gets darker
    and darker until it becomes difficult to read the title/label , but this does not cause the apps or start menu to be unresponsive, it simply makes viewing more difficult.

Abdul Majid 13, Jul 29, 2015
  4. Start menu not opening anymore (build 10240)

Are you by chance using Avira Antivirus? I was experiencing just what you're talking about it - deinstalled Avira, activated Windows Defender, rebooted, and everything's running smoothly now. For the time being, at least ...

JeremyBradley, Aug 4, 2015
  5. No, using Comodo Internet Security and any way changing your preferred antivirus to Defender is really not solution - user shall have freedom of choice how Windows are secured. I didn't use Defender on any previous Windows and neither won't use it on this. Made OS clean install again and startmenu works for the moment but....definitely not as solid as on Windows 8.
    Problems discovered on shell UI till now -
    - some program groups and shortcuts for some reason don't appear in star menu at all
    - the menu rendering and animations are significantly slower than in Windows 8 (poor graphic driver?)
    - file open/save dialogs don't work correctly (Quick access not accessible) - problem with permissions?
    - some programs not saving their state (ie. they are reset to default state on next launch) - again problem with permissions?
    Counting all the flaws I'm quite disappointed with Windows 10, should be much more tested and tuned.
    If most of the flaws won't be fixed soon I'm seriously considering rolling back to solid Windows 8.1.

Franz Ferdinand, Aug 4, 2015
  6. IGR
    igr Win User
    I have the same problem (build 10240). "Start" don't open for one or two of 3 users on my PC (after some time). I drop and create broken users and after a while "Start" menu disappears again. The Microsoft Edge and Store symbols don't appear on task bar - active empty spaces only.

7. I have heard creating new account addresses all the issues so WTF is that for if an account gets it's permissions fuсked up during time.

Franz Ferdinand, Aug 10, 2015
  8. Leia Win User

Start menu not opening anymore (build 10240)

Leia, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Start menu not opening anymore (build 10240)

1. Start menu not opening anymore (build 10240) - Similar Threads - Start menu opening

2. Can't open programs through the start menu search anymore

in Cortana
    Can't open programs through the start menu search anymore: I suddenly can't open installed programs like Steam or Skype through the search bar in the start menu on Windows 10.I can use Win+R to run apps.The same issue was reported back in 2017 but none of the solutions there helped me.The folder mentioned in the solution there...
  3. Can't open programs through the start menu search anymore

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't open programs through the start menu search anymore: I suddenly can't open installed programs like Steam or Skype through the search bar in the start menu on Windows 10.I can use Win+R to run apps.The same issue was reported back in 2017 but none of the solutions there helped me.The folder mentioned in the solution there...
  4. Can't open programs through the start menu search anymore

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. windows 10 pro build 10240 laptop wont go to sleep anymore...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    windows 10 pro build 10240 laptop wont go to sleep anymore...: Hi all, after i press power button to go to sleep, it just wakes upon its own instantly and if i type command powercfg -requests in cmd then it gives following error : C:\WINDOWS\system32>powercfg -requests DISPLAY: None. SYSTEM: None. AWAYMODE: None....
  6. Build 10240

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Build 10240: So basically im still on the build 10240 and tried updating my computer, i got the error code 0x80240fff and tried updating it with the update assistant that i could download, but that didnt work and was told to restart my pc and try again did that and it still didnt work.....
  7. sound blaster on build 10240

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    sound blaster on build 10240: I cannot get my surround 5.1 audio to work with this most recent build of 10240; and i cannot get into the enhancements that are supposed to be available for my card which is the x-fi titanium pci express sound card from creative. Is there any way to resolve this or do I just...
  8. Windows 10 Pro (build 10240) Start Menu and Apps not working.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 Pro (build 10240) Start Menu and Apps not working.: Hi, Any help would be appreciated, I upgraded my PC from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 Pro (build10240) via the free upgrade. Everything worked fine until last week, when I was sitting at the PC and the Windows 10 Apps shortcuts vanished from the taskbar and now when I left...
  9. Windows 10 start menu/notification menu/metro apps not opening anymore

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 start menu/notification menu/metro apps not opening anymore: I am using Windows 10 for around 2 days now. But today my computer freezed while playing a game, so i restarted my computer and when i logged in, the start menu,notification menu and metro apps would not open anymore. Whats is happening? 10416
  10. Problems with Build 10240

in Windows 10 Support
    Problems with Build 10240: So far, I have no sound and Cortana is not working when I speak to her. Any solutions and fixed? 8367