Windows 10: Start Menu Not Opening - Windows 10 64 bits

Discus and support Start Menu Not Opening - Windows 10 64 bits in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; My computer was working fine till yesterday. Now, the start menu and search bar doesn't work anymore. What happened? 16250 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Gabriel25569, Aug 13, 2015.

1. Start Menu Not Opening - Windows 10 64 bits

My computer was working fine till yesterday. Now, the start menu and search bar doesn't work anymore. What happened?

:)

Gabriel25569, Aug 13, 2015

2. Darkening of startscreen on Windows 10

Hi.

I have been facing a problem on Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit (Build 10240), the problem is that in when I press the start button, the start menu opens as it should, but occasionally, it opens but the tiles, theme etc. of the start menu gets darker. It gets darker
    and darker until it becomes difficult to read the title/label , but this does not cause the apps or start menu to be unresponsive, it simply makes viewing more difficult.

Abdul Majid 13, Aug 13, 2015
  3. TravisH82 Win User
    Cannot use or see Paint application after opening, though it appears in the background processes

I've tried running paint in several ways

• Opening from start menu
    • Running as an administrator from the start menu
    • Opening it from the sytem32 folder
    • Running as an administrator from the sytem32 folder
    I get the same result every time. Windows behaves as if has opened Paint, but Paint never becomes visible. It doesn't appear on the taskbar as an open program. I can, however, see it as a process running in the background.

I am running Windows 10 - 64 bit (a free upgrade from my Windows 7 Pro 64 bit) with Windows Defender as an AV.

I already tried running "sfc /scannow" and there was no trouble.

Start Menu Not Opening - Windows 10 64 bits [​IMG]

TravisH82, Aug 13, 2015
  4. Start Menu Not Opening - Windows 10 64 bits

This has happened to me several times in the last week. There are 'solutions' you can google involving powershell scripts to reinstall the windows store apps. I never found them to solve the problem. IME, user profile corruption has been the culprit. I would suggest creating a new user, sign in, and see if the start menu is working for that new user. If it is, then probably your other users profiles are corrupted.

claytoncarney, Aug 14, 2015
  5. In other users it works. I tried everything I found on google, but nothing works *Sad

Gabriel25569, Aug 14, 2015
  6. bobdotus Win User
    Same problem. Start menu opened once or twice then stopped working.

Upgraded from Win 7 Home Premium.

Recommended solutions don't work. Reinstalling Windows 10 doesn't fix it.

I use Windows Defender. No other AV program.

Build 10420.

bobdotus, Aug 15, 2015
  7. Bazz Win User
    Seems there is no solution to this problem apart from a clean install. or move your files over to your new user account.

8. Start Menu Not Opening - Windows 10 64 bits

There are any other solutions, rather than moving to another user?

Gabriel25569, Aug 15, 2015
  9. The only other solution that has worked for me is restoring from a system image taken before the problem began.

claytoncarney, Aug 15, 2015
  10. Flame Red Win User
    No solution except trying to create another User, or fresh OS install. I tried restoring to a system image before it broke, no go. My solution - revert back to Windows-7 and all good. Windows-10 is not ready for prime time.

There was one relatively new solution posted since I gave up on Windows-10. Worth a try. Post your results here please.

https://www.tenforums.com/general-dis...tml#post337288

Flame Red, Aug 15, 2015
  11. bobdotus Win User
    It said "the troubleshooter couldn't identify the problem."

bobdotus, Aug 15, 2015
  12. For me said that too.

Gabriel25569, Aug 17, 2015
  13. hattrik21 Win User

Start Menu Not Opening - Windows 10 64 bits

What browser is your default? If it is firefox, try unchecking the option to use FF as your default search for Windows.

hattrik21, Aug 17, 2015
  14. bobdotus Win User
    I want to revert ! But the instructions for reverting I find say that you go thru the start menu, and I can't open the start menu. Any ideas how to get around this? Thanks.

bobdotus, Aug 20, 2015
  15. I have the same issue on two machines. One was upgraded to Windows 10, one was a completely new install of Windows 10. In both cases, the Start/Windows button stops working. The Windows key fails as well. Sometimes a reboot/logout-login will fix the problem. Sometimes not. No pattern or consistency to the failure but it happens about 40% of the time. A similiar issue is that Edge (browser) will fail to launch, or launch then immediately vanish. The two seem to be part of the new "Windows Apps" that aren't normal executables on the machine. Using the online-mentioned Powershell commands works at first, then the problem re-appears.

Sam Marrocco, Aug 20, 2015
Thema:

Start Menu Not Opening - Windows 10 64 bits

1. Start Menu Not Opening - Windows 10 64 bits - Similar Threads - Start Menu Opening

2. windows 10 32 bit to 64 bit

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windows 10 32 bit to 64 bit: hello, so recently I upgraded my computer to windows 10, but I did this while not knowing that I could get 64-bit as well, I've tried to download 64-bit on my upgraded computer via the media installation tool into my USB, but every time I do it, it says that windows cannot...
  3. WINDOWS 10 HOME- 64 BITS- Start up

in Windows 10 Customization
    WINDOWS 10 HOME- 64 BITS- Start up: HI, since I bought my new laptop Toshiba with Win 10 Home, I had more problems than Win 7. This is 2nd time I open my laptop, the screen is grey, last time I managed to contact Microsoft, they spent 2 hours to re-installe some updates but it happens again. thanks god,...
  4. Unable to open "Settings" in Windows 10 64-bit

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to open "Settings" in Windows 10 64-bit: Hi there, I'm using Lenovo Yoga 500. Last week, all of a sudden, my keyboard stopped working except two keys Screen Brightness + and -. So i decided to reset the Windows 10. It actually rectified the keyboard issue, but now I'm unable to use "Settings" option. When I...
  5. Windows 10 64 bit

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 64 bit: I cannot access my photographs from file explorer. When I try to download a profile photograph for Mecargi. It takes me to file explorer and the Photos program on my applications page is not accessible. When I open it through the apps page the pathway is Photos- it gives no...
  6. windows 10 64 bit

windows 10 64 bit: hello , I have P5G41T-MLX V2 xeon x 5460 4GB RAM , GTX 750 TI , I wont install windows 10 64 bit (I have 2 reason for this , 4 gb ram , and 64bit bassed processor , but when im trying to install windows 10 64 bit version , I just restart pc pres f8 (boot menu ) choose...
  7. Window 10 64 bit to 32 bit

Window 10 64 bit to 32 bit: I recently purchased a new hard drive, and I installed windows 10 64 bit on my laptop (Inspiron 15 3000 series) and after that the laptop started runnin slow, unable to use my technical drawing apps and my games. my RAM is 4GB and I want to install windows 10 32 bit but...
  8. 32 bit or 64 bit window 10?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    32 bit or 64 bit window 10?: how can i find out if my Windows 10 Home is a 32 bit or 64 bit version? My laptop is a 64 bit operating system. I've looked at the "Settings -- System -- About" and all it tells me is that it is Windows 10 Home....
  9. windows 10 64 bit

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    windows 10 64 bit: no audio output device installed https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/windows-10-64-bit/95fee463-b371-4f76-b620-1e7efb3d5673
  10. Windows 10 32-bit to 64-bit?

Windows 10 32-bit to 64-bit?: Yesterday I installed windows 10 with 32-bit operating system, but now I want to change the operating system to 64-bit. I want to know if I can reinstalled windows 10 with 64-bit operating system? 11557