Windows 10: Start menu not sorting and tooltip not right

Discus and support Start menu not sorting and tooltip not right in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; New installation of windows 10. Not really liking the start menu - all apps - alphabetical sorting, but I also noticed that it is not actually in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Muzz69, Aug 24, 2016.

1. Muzz69 Win User

Start menu not sorting and tooltip not right

New installation of windows 10.
    Not really liking the start menu - all apps - alphabetical sorting, but I also noticed that it is not actually in alphabetical order if you rename the shortcut. For example I renamed a shortcut from "Run <Shortcut name>" to just "<shortcut name>" and it is still showing up under "R" for run. Tried deleting from start menu folder and re-creating the shortcut directly from the exe. Same result. The exe does not start with R either. Is there any way to re-sort this view?

Also noticed that a few of my desktop shortcut tooltips are showing the shortcut name aswell as comments. Most are just showing the comments. Tried deleting, renaming, and registry customising - no luck. Any help please?

:)

Muzz69, Aug 24, 2016

2. My start menu icons aren't showing up properly!

I have same problem, the start menu is not working. when you click it , nothing happened. Microsoft edge and store icon are missing on the taskbar.

start menu not working, Aug 24, 2016
  3. Right-click menu and start menu does not show up

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

I appreciate your interest in windows 10. I understand the inconvenience you faced. I will help you with this.

This issue could have occurred due to corrupt system files while upgrading windows.

I would suggest you to follow the below steps to fix issue.

1. Open the Task manager. Here’s a tip: Press CTRL+Shift+ESC.

2. Click File > Run New Task.

3. Make sure you have a check mark beside “Create this task with administrative privileges”.

4. Type Powershell.

5. Type the following in the Powershell prompt:

$manifest = (Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.WindowsStore).InstallLocation + '\AppxManifest.xml' ; Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $manifest

6. Close the Powershell window.

7. Reboot.

If the issue still persist so I would suggest you to run SFC scan and check.

SFC Scan
    First, I would suggest you to run the System File check scan and check if it resolves the issue. System File checker (SFC) scan is done to check if there are any corrupted system files that could be causing this issue. Refer to these steps to perform a
    SFC scan:

1.Press Windows key + X, select Command prompt (Admin) to bring up elevated command prompt

2.In the command prompt type the following command: sfc/scannow and press enter

3.Now, restart the computer.

I hope this helps.

Let us know the status of the issue so that we can assist you better.

Thanks.

Preeti Patel, Aug 24, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, the start menu is awful.

Start menu not sorting and tooltip not right [​IMG]

Here you can see how it extracts shortcuts from sufolders in my start menu under my Multimedia folder- it leaves out the actual subfolders, one per program, and lists all the Help files in alpha order. (Yes, I have an extensive start menu).

But in Classic Shell (free) it's exactly as it should be. And just as configurable as I want.

My recommendation- go 3rd party. If you don't need tiles on your start menu, use Classic Shell if you prefer a traditional desktop.

Else use one of the others that suits. It's not worth the time, trouble and limitations to fiddle with folder contents to try to make it work sensibly.

As to shortcuts being labelled - shortcut - that's typical of every version of Windows- turn it off easily using Winaero's useful tweaker (free).

dalchina, Aug 24, 2016
  5. Muzz69 Win User
    Thanks dalchina for your advice on Classic Shell. I will try it out and see how it goes.

About the desktop shortcuts, its more trivial, but annyoing. I have added an attachment.
    Some shortcuts tooltips show the shortcut name aswell as comments. I just want them to show comments.

Start menu not sorting and tooltip not right [​IMG]
    Any ideas why?

Muzz69, Aug 26, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    dalchina, Aug 26, 2016
  7. Muzz69 Win User
    Hi dalchina, I did try this customisation already and it will add the extra details to the tooltip, but the name still stays on the few shortcuts that are affected. I have also deleted and re-created these shortcuts from the exe. Scratching my head...

Muzz69, Aug 27, 2016
  8. dalchina New Member

dalchina, Aug 27, 2016
  9. Muzz69 Win User
    Thanks dalchina. I just figured out that the shortcut tooltip problem was that shortcut name was too long or my icon spacing too small. Once I reduced the name so it fits in two lines, just the comment gets displayed. Thanks for your help on that.

Still would like some help on how to reset the alphabetical sorting or force windows to re-sort them. Or maybe I need to re-register the program. Any suggestions?

Muzz69, Aug 28, 2016
  10. Muzz69 Win User
    Muzz69, Aug 28, 2016
  11. dalchina New Member
    Regarding the start menu- if you want different behaviour and more flexibility, you need to look to 3rd party start menus.
    Classic Shell - no tiles, free, highly configurable, great for traditional desktop users, good search, can expand across screen for large start menus.

Then there are
    Startisback, Start10, IOBIT produced one...

See e.g.
    The best alternative Start menus for Windows 10

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Start menu not sorting and tooltip not right - Similar Threads - Start menu sorting

2. how to sort the start menu in windows 11.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to sort the start menu in windows 11.: i want to sort the start menu and make it full screen! I like to sort the desktop icons like windows 10 . https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-sort-the-start-menu-in-windows-11/064f5970-4a5c-4665-b57d-a4ae377d8e22
  3. Unable to sort and rationalize the Start Menu in Win10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to sort and rationalize the Start Menu in Win10: Just installed Win10 in a newly built computer and I can't rationalize my Start menu. Some items can't be moved into appropriate subject folders, and some bloatware items can't be deleted or even moved to a Bloatware folder where they can be ignored . Is there a way to take...
  4. Right-click on start menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Right-click on start menu: When I right-click on the Start menu in Windows 10, it brings up the options menu and when I select Task manager nothing happens. This also happens when I try to select Device Manager, Event Viewer, Disk Manager, Computer Manager, Windows Powershell and Admin, and File...
  5. Right-click on start menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Right-click on start menu: When I right-click on the Start menu in Windows 10, it brings up the options menu and when I select Task manager nothing happens. This also happens when I try to select Device Manager, Event Viewer, Disk Manager, Computer Manager, Windows Powershell and Admin, and File...
  6. Right-click on start menu

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. Start Menu - Right-Click

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu - Right-Click: Hello,In the "Start Menu" there are two types of icons - one is a square with a folder icon on it, the other is a square with the program's icon.Now 'folder icons' have no right-click sub-menu, the others with a program icon have a right-click sub-menu.In the sub-items of a...
  8. Right click Start Menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    Right click Start Menu: Last few insider builds (not necessarily because of it) Most of items in Start menu's just don't do anything. Command prompt/, Disk management, Device manager, Task manager etc. Other shortcuts for them work, each one when started from anywhere else works. I made links for...
  9. Start menu Crashing (sort of)

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu Crashing (sort of): hkVjJlqI5fo Having an issue with my Start menu in Windows 10 that nobody else on the internet seems to have. Basically, pressing certain buttons makes that menu crash. So does searches. Extremely annoying. Any help greatly appreciated. 38760
  10. Is it possible sort the start menu tiles alphabetically?

in Windows 10 Support
    Is it possible sort the start menu tiles alphabetically?: This has been a long standing issue for me in Windows 10 so I am wondering if there is a trick or some 3rd party program that will allow you to sort a section of tiles alphabetically like you would do with a folder in explorer. For example, I have a tile folder called Games...