Windows 10: Start Menu not working after latest forced reboot.

Discus and support Start Menu not working after latest forced reboot. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; My machine reboot last night, likely due to an update that got pushed out, and now I can no longer click on the start menu. Windows key does not pull... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by musiclover7, May 10, 2015.

1. Start Menu not working after latest forced reboot.

My machine reboot last night, likely due to an update that got pushed out, and now I can no longer click on the start menu. Windows key does not pull it up either. Also, the volume button in the bottom right of the screen, I cannot click on that either. I can right click on it though, and pull up volume rocker, but left click does not do anything. Running 10074. Anyone else having issues, or have any suggestions for me?

:)

musiclover7, May 10, 2015

2. My start menu icons aren't showing up properly!

I have same problem, the start menu is not working. when you click it , nothing happened. Microsoft edge and store icon are missing on the taskbar.

start menu not working, May 10, 2015
  3. Windows 10 start menu is broke

I downloaded the latest update as requested and after reboot my start menu was broke. So i uninstalled and my start menu worked again.

scottc_techmeout.com, May 10, 2015
  4. topgundcp Win User

Start Menu not working after latest forced reboot.

By forcing reboot, some system files might be corrupted. You can try from Admin Command prompt, copy and paste, and press <ENTER> to run:
    Dism.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup&sfc/scannow&Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth&sfc/scannow&pause

topgundcp, May 10, 2015
  5. Gave that a shot and reboot. No good... Still no start menu or volume slider. Right click on both menu's still works though. I did not install any 3rd party GUI changers. Have been trying to test the OS out vanilla for the past month or so.

musiclover7, May 11, 2015
  6. Here is what I see in the Windows Event logs:
    The server CortanaUI.AppX5jgxdm5v6spdthjfhjx2gb5yy0fcs2mc.mca did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.

- System

- Provider

[
    Name] Microsoft-Windows-DistributedCOM
    [
    Guid] {1B562E86-B7AA-4131-BADC-B6F3A001407E}
    [
    EventSourceName] DCOM
    - EventID 10010

[
    Qualifiers] 0
    Version 0
    Level 2
    Task 0
    Opcode 0
    Keywords 0x8080000000000000
    - TimeCreated

[
    SystemTime] 2015-05-12T14:26:52.681877400Z
    EventRecordID 168822
    Correlation
    - Execution

[
    ProcessID] 996
    [
    ThreadID] 4788
    Channel System
    Computer XXXX
    - Security

[
    UserID] S-1-5-21-777254689-876394079-1570856477-1001

- EventData

param1 CortanaUI.AppX5jgxdm5v6spdthjfhjx2gb5yy0fcs2mc.mca

7. Mystere Win User
    Have you tried running wsreset?

Mystere, May 11, 2015
  8. topgundcp Win User

Can you roll back to previous restore point ?

topgundcp, May 11, 2015
  9. System restore failed to complete unfortunately, and WSreset did not work either. Worth noting, I cannot launch search either. That is likely the crux of my problem, as Cortana is likely a pre-req for the start menu now a days. I may be looking at a re-install it seems, unless someone has another suggestion.

10. f14tomcat Win User
    I've had similar problems. Try this: Apps - Re-register in Windows 8 and 10 - Windows 10 Forums

Make sure you reboot after. When you run this powershell command (AS ADMINISTRATOR), it will give you a scary looking "red" message at the end. It's only because shellexperiencehost app is open and can't be updated. Ignore it. try it. *Smile

f14tomcat, May 11, 2015
  11. Tried that.. No good.. I just finished loading classic shell so I could get around until I can afford to take the time to reload. This is working fine for now... Maybe I will get lucky and the next update they push will fix my issue.

musiclover7, May 13, 2015
  12. Gary Win User
    You may want to try Macrium Reflect to image you system. They have a free version that works, It is a great program.

13. Start Menu not working after latest forced reboot.

Wow.. I went ahead and reloaded Windows today. I spent the last hour or so cleaning up permissions on all my hard drives, clearing out old SID, etc.. I got everything looking good, and went to reload programs. All a sudden, no start menu, search or volume button again. Oh man! Perhaps it is time to roll back to 8.1. *Sad FML, bed is calling...

musiclover7, May 14, 2015
  14. Mystere Win User
    Ummm... cleaning up permissions? What exactly did you do? Windows requires very specific permissions for certain things, and if you mess with them, things break...

Mystere, May 14, 2015
  15. I just had the same problem as you, with the start menu and search not working at all (but the right-click menu works).
    My solution was to turn off Cortana through the Windows 10 Settings, now everything seems to work fine again. Cortana mainly just helps me to search on bing with whatever I say, so it's not the biggest loss *Wink

randomwinguy, May 14, 2015
Thema:

1. Start Menu not working after latest forced reboot. - Similar Threads - Start Menu working

2. Start Menu Not Working After Reinstall

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Start Menu Not Working After Reinstall: I'm trying to get my Surface Pro 6 working correctly after a reinstall of Windows 10. Edge browser does not function; it opens for about 3 seconds then shuts down. Start menu button does not function; cannot reach settings at all. I have tried the following steps: restart...
  3. No start menu after latest Windows upgrade

No start menu after latest Windows upgrade: Dear Microsoft, After my Laptop (Toshiba Kirabook) updates itself with the latest Windows upgrade the system logging in extremely slow (5 minutes) and have no start menu. Once the PC logged in and running there are no performance issues just the missing start menu (and the...
  4. Start menu inaccessible after latest update

Start menu inaccessible after latest update: I installed an update last night, and I am now running Windows 10 Home, version 1903, OS Build 18362.239. The Start button now does nothing. I always used that access to turn my computer off. How do I fix it? Troubleshooting didn't fix it....
  5. Start menu resets after reboot

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start menu resets after reboot: Hi I bought and received a new computer with Win 10 Family 64bits just today, and it worked fine at first, I deleted some apps, installed a couple of softwares and stuff. Then I decided to clean the start menu. I rebooted, and after the reboot, the start menu is exactly...
  6. Personalising the Start menu doesn't save after reboot

Personalising the Start menu doesn't save after reboot: Since the automatic upgrade this week for Windows many of my settings were reset including the Start Menu / Task Bar. I have personalised both since the upgrade. The task bar icons stay personalised after reboot. However the Start Menu resets each time. Am I missing a...
  7. Start menu tiles are refreshing after reboot.

Start menu tiles are refreshing after reboot.: Ever since i reinstalled windows ive been having a problem with the start menu. My tiles are refreshing after i reboot no matter if i unpin them or replace them with another tile / app every time i restart my computer i am greeted with the default tiles given by microsoft....
  8. Start menu tiles greying out after a reboot

Start menu tiles greying out after a reboot: Is anyone else having this problem? Whenever I reboot, some of my Start menu apps tiles are resized and greyed out. Manually resizing them and repositioning them is a workaround but that shoudn't be necessary in the first place. Seems like a simple problem with a hopefully...
  9. After latest win UD lost Edge and Start Menu

in Windows 10 Support
    After latest win UD lost Edge and Start Menu: Folks, My laptop has lost MS EDGE and the start menu. This started after the latest Win updates on 14-Dec. Should I try to restore to an earlier date? or maybe remove the update? Please advise Roger*Huh 72558
  10. Start menu not working until reboot

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu not working until reboot: Hello all, I occasionally (but frequently enough that it is noticeable) get an unresponsive start menu. When this happens Win+P for display switching also does not work. The start menu starts working after a reboot and only after a reboot. Obviously this gets annoying...