Windows 10: Start menu not working and I get "Class not registered" when trying to open windows apps

Discus and support Start menu not working and I get "Class not registered" when trying to open windows apps in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hello, so basically all of sudden my Start Menu button doesn't work. I've tried the following: - Restarted my computer - Restarted explorer.exe -... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Simon_RR, Jul 27, 2018.

1. Simon_RR Win User

Start menu not working and I get "Class not registered" when trying to open windows apps

Hello, so basically all of sudden my Start Menu button doesn't work. I've tried the following:
    - Restarted my computer

- Restarted explorer.exe

- Manually restarted explorer.exe

- Made a new user account

- Tried verifying the frame.dll of taskbar

Comands in cmd/powershell:

- sfc /scannow

- DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

- Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

When I try to open a default windows app I get an error saying "Class not registered"

Any help would be appreciated! Thank you.

:)

Simon_RR, Jul 27, 2018
  2. cc89124 Win User

Class not registered/Start menu not working

Hi,

I recently tried to open Bluetooth on my laptop but it shows 'Class not registered', and also when I try to open any icon, including the start menu, on the task bar it does not open. My right-click also does
    not work on these icon.

Can anyone help me out here?

Thank you.

cc89124, Jul 27, 2018
  3. Dew-L Win User
    Class not Registered error for pictures with Windows 10

My solution to a similar problem on a new Windows 10 PC...

PROBLEM: Class not Registered error when trying to open a .jpg file.

STEPS TRIED: 1. START-->SETTINGS-->SYSTEM-->Default Apps-->"Reset to Microsoft recommended". 2. SFC scan didn't find any problems. 3. Clean boot didn't help. 4. System Restore to a time when I know things were working didn't help.

The problem remained. Right clicking on the file and selecting OPEN WITH listed PAINT and TWINUI. Paint could open the file, but TWINUI always gave the error. The extended OPEN WITH menu did not list PHOTOS anywhere.

SOLUTION: I pressed START-->ALL APPS-->PHOTOS. Once the program opened once, some setting somewhere got fixed and double clicking on a jpg file worked again. The OPEN WITH menu changed to have PAINT and PHOTOS as the first two options. TWINUI does not appear
    in the list anymore.

Dew-L, Jul 27, 2018
  4. Start menu not working and I get "Class not registered" when trying to open windows apps

I cannot open images and get "Class not Registered" error

Very strange. Yesterday I could view my NEFs and JPGs, today I got the "Class Not Registered" error. W10 has been in for an age and nothing I know of has changed. I followed the suggestions in the rest of this article but nothing worked. I noticed that if
    I right-clicked an image and used "Open wIth", the "Photos" option was very faint. So I used the Start menu, scrolled down to "Photos" and opened it. That worked okay.

And the "Class Not Registered" problem has gone away, too. I can now double-click any image and it opens in the Photos app.

Maybe opening the Photos app directly registers the Class? I'm not techy enough to know the answer to that.

TechnoPhobePhile, Jul 27, 2018
Thema:

Start menu not working and I get "Class not registered" when trying to open windows apps

1. Start menu not working and I get "Class not registered" when trying to open windows apps - Similar Threads - Start menu working

2. Class not registered error appears when I open the Minecraft apps

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Class not registered error appears when I open the Minecraft apps: When I open the Minecraft Launcher app or the Minecraft for Windows app an error called "class not registered" appears and closes the application. When I reinstall the game it opens like it's supposed to, and I can play it, but when I "shut down" my computer and then turn it...
  3. Class not registered error appears when I open the Minecraft apps

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Class not registered error appears when I open the Minecraft apps: When I open the Minecraft Launcher app or the Minecraft for Windows app an error called "class not registered" appears and closes the application. When I reinstall the game it opens like it's supposed to, and I can play it, but when I "shut down" my computer and then turn it...
  4. Getting "Explorer.EXE Class not registered" error when trying to open many applications

in Windows 10 Customization
    Getting "Explorer.EXE Class not registered" error when trying to open many applications: I'm working on a new Windows 10 Professional desktop PC I've purchased two weeks ago. Now, suddenly, I cannot launch a LOT of applications. I tried to launch Windows Terminal, which I have pinned to my taskbar. It immediately popped up a message taht said:Explorer.EXEClass...
  5. Class not registered and start menu not working

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Class not registered and start menu not working: This problem cropped up recently on my Windows 10 laptop. I have run SFC and DISM to no avail. Tried repairing windows, ended up losing data and users, ending up with the defaultuser0 problem. I managed to create an admin account in safe mode command prompt. Tried to...
  6. Try to open various apps, given "explorer.exe, class not registered"

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Try to open various apps, given "explorer.exe, class not registered": The most frustrating of the apps that I cannot open is Settings, so there is no way for me to navigate around updates and such to see if that is the problem. Most apps that have been downloaded through a browser work well, such as spotify, steam, discord, etc; so I figure it...
  7. Class not registered and start menu does not show

in Cortana
    Class not registered and start menu does not show: I have tried the task manager solution but in task manager the task were hidden and could not apply the fixed described on the community. Even tried the command prompt as an administrator but I could not get into the command prompt as an administrator. What worked for me...
  8. Class not registered error when trying to open Chrome

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Class not registered error when trying to open Chrome: I installed Chome but when I try to open it I get a class not registered error message. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/class-not-registered-error-when-trying-to-open/3d67c131-b3dc-4cc6-8ad5-cfbb2fb7da0e
  9. trying to open a JPEG. Get "Class not registered" How do I fix this

in Windows 10 Support
    trying to open a JPEG. Get "Class not registered" How do I fix this: Hello. I have all updates applied to the Windows 10 Professional x64 bit machine. Started Windows 10 this morning and tried to open a JPEG file, i.e., double click any.jpg. Windows 10 comes back with, "Class not registered". Cleaned all the files, registry and nothing...
  10. Win 10 class not registered error - when trying to open a link

in Windows 10 Support
    Win 10 class not registered error - when trying to open a link: Hi, I recently upgraded to win 10 from 8.1 and I am running into a few problems. I'll start with this very annoying one and than open a different thread for the others. So I like to save URL links on my desktop - used to work fine on 8.1. Now on 10 when I drag a link...