Windows 10: Start menu not working

Discus and support Start menu not working in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; The Windows 10 start menu has stopped working. If I click on the Start button, nothing happens. I did a repair install and that corrected the problem... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jaqsol, Feb 4, 2015.

1. jaqsol Win User

Start menu not working

The Windows 10 start menu has stopped working. If I click on the Start button, nothing happens. I did a repair install and that corrected the problem for a few days. The problem has returned. No start menu. All updates have been installed. Does anyone have a fix for this?

:)

jaqsol, Feb 4, 2015

2. My start menu icons aren't showing up properly!

I have same problem, the start menu is not working. when you click it , nothing happened. Microsoft edge and store icon are missing on the taskbar.

start menu not working, Feb 4, 2015
  3. Windows 10 Start Menu right click menu not working

I am having the same issue. I'm not sure how creating a local user account in Windows 10 will help. Can you explain? It seems like extra work and I'm not sure why it was working before and not working now.

MahoganyColeman, Feb 4, 2015
  4. Berkey Win User

Start menu not working

Not experiencing anything like that myself. Did you disable any services? I played around with disabling Cortana and removing the search box from the taskbar and it caused the start menu to be delayed for a moment, but it still popped up.

Berkey, Feb 4, 2015
  5. jaqsol Win User
    I looked over the services. I didn't see anything unusual and I didn't change any settings there. I disabled the search box from the taskbar right after installation. The start menu was still working at that point.

jaqsol, Feb 4, 2015
  6. jaqsol Win User
    I created an image of the hard drive after the last installation when everything was working. I could restore the image and take it from there. But I would like to know what is causing the problem.

jaqsol, Feb 4, 2015
  7. Wynona Win User
    Possibly look over the services and see what you have, then pop in the imaged drive and look to see if anything is different? About all I know to do. Other than to reinstall. *Think

Wynona, Feb 4, 2015
  8. jamos316 Win User

Start menu not working

i had that problem for 2 days, issue went away today

jamos316, Feb 4, 2015
  9. Mystere Win User
    This problem was fixed by the patch MS issued yesterday, if you're still having it, make sure you download the latest updates.

Mystere, Feb 4, 2015
  10. jaqsol Win User
    All updates have been installed. I just checked to be sure. The problem remains.

jaqsol, Feb 4, 2015
  11. AddRAM Win User
    Re install from your image.

AddRAM, Feb 5, 2015
  12. I've had this issue twice in the last 2 days after using System Restore and ensuring all Windows Updates are installed (even KB3036140) and still no Start Menu, Search or Notifications. However I did find a way to fix this issue without reinstalling and that is to follow Brinks Tutorial below.

Apps - Re-register in Windows 8 and 10

Note 1: To be able to access Windows PowerShell you need to Right Click on the Start button and from the Win X menu select Search then type in "Windows PowerShell" without the quotes.

Note 2: If Windows PowerShell is unreadable when it opens see the images below to make it readable and you will need to close and reopen PowerShell for the changes to take effect.

Start menu not working [​IMG]

Start menu not working [​IMG]

IownAmoneyPit, Feb 5, 2015
  13. jaqsol Win User

Start menu not working

I restored the hard drive image and all is well at the moment. I will see what happens next. Possibly a third party app is wiping out the start menu.

jaqsol, Feb 5, 2015
  14. toolman59 Win User
    I have had this problem for the past week or so, I tried the various fixes that had been posted, none of these worked.
    I had read in one of the posts that that a non-administrator account had a working start menu, so I decided to setup a second user account which opened with a working start menu. When I logged back into my administrator account this also had a working start menu even after a reboot. It will be interesting to see how long this keeps the start menu working.

toolman59, Feb 25, 2015
  15. jaqsol Win User
    I restored the hard drive image I had made. I installed all updates. I have not had the problem since. My thought was that one of the updates cured the problem.

jaqsol, Feb 25, 2015
Thema:

Start menu not working

1. Start menu not working - Similar Threads - Start menu working

2. Start menu not working

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start menu not working: I ran startmenu.diagcab and it said:Issues foundRequired applications are not installed correctly.Required applications are not installed correctly."Microsoft.Windows.ShellExperienceHost" and "Microsoft.Windows.Cortana" applications need to be installed correctly.Not...
  3. Start menu not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start menu not working: Hello ,I'm using asus zenbook 14 intel i5 11 gen.And today I upgraded to windows 11 .Everything is working fine but the start menu windows menu is not working, Can someone please help me to fix this problem. Thankyou...
  4. Start menu not working

Start menu not working: My computer froze and I was able to finally get it rebooted. After I got it back up then I cursor over the Start icon and it turns blue but when I click on it nothing happens. Also, when I click on taskbar items I get a window showing "explorer.exe' and "Class not...
  5. Start menu not working

Start menu not working: Hi there. I have windows 10 installed on my desktop and I am having issues with Windows Explorer. None of the windows button commands work at the moment. I can't open the start menu no matter which way I attempt to do so nor can I interact with the search box to its...
  6. Start menu not working

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Start menu not working: So i let my PC install updates last night and I went to sleep. Today when i turned it on again, the start button stopped working. Taskbar works fine, i can still use the windows key in shortcut, just the start menu not wanting to open. Any suggesstions on what to do? I...
  7. start menu not working

start menu not working: On window updation on 2/2/2020 the start menu and microsoft edge not working. Try to fix using trobleshoot and other ways. please suggest the method for rectification or send patch file for it...
  8. Start menu not working

Start menu not working: Start menu isn't working on my new GF62Vr 7rf, it shows the blue loading icon for half a second but nothing opens, I've tried so many solutions. Also it's an msi laptop....
  9. Start menu not working

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu not working: Why not try to use the inbuilt start menu troubleshooter or uninstall some third-party software if necessary in Control Panel?
  10. Start Menu Not Working

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu Not Working: Hey all, so i've been struggling for the last few hours after a re-install of windows 10 - I had been encoutnering issues with another application so I decided to just blow my OS and start from scratch. I had been running on that OS for 5 months without any issue. So I...